Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

catkins

Verified Member
Wouldn't that contact tend to cancel some of the cued spin?
Left spin on the CB, contacting the 3 while crossing from left to right, would tend to counter some (little bit) of the left on the CB(?)
it si the opposite yoru increasing the spin with left and the induced spin with cross

catkins

Verified Member
I admit, I'm dumb as hell on these shots.. Is the cue ball suppose to go through the intersection before the three gets there, or after the three goes by???
the cue ball should hit the rail and rebound above the 3 ball as it comes back

cincy_kid

Verified Member
i like lagging the 14 pocket speed at my hole, put the CB on the head rail. If I make it, I will play the 13 or 1 ball 2 rails out of their side and play defense behind the stack.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
it si the opposite yoru increasing the spin with left and the induced spin with cross
Yes, I think I was talking about something that Ratamon wasn't addressing.
I get that left spin on the CB would 'transfer' right spin to the object ball. But the 'collision' induced spin on the 3 ball, while enhancing right spin on the 3 ball, would counter a small bit of the left spin on the CB.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Let me add a little caveat to banking the 3 ball and landing on the 5 ball. Because the CB and 3 ball are, (according to photo) appear to be only about 4" apart, the stroke required needs to be perfectly timed with a smooth tempo or stroke! No need to use speed to get the CB to go by first, just the correct effect on the CB.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
If I can see a right half-ball of the 10, I'd take a look at carom banking the 5 ball. The 10 should go 2 rails toward my pocket.

If the 10 hit is not there, I'd likely 2 rail the 11 and stick, ala Hardmix.

vapros

Verified Member
The bank on the 3 ball is a little too iffy for me, so I will pass it up. The table really favors John by a bunch and that's not good, so I will move some balls, expecting to improve my position. I'm driving the 15 into the 12 and drawing Jojo down to the short rail. Not an emergency situation at all.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
In banking the 3 ball, I would use straight high about 2 tips with the butt elevated about 5 degrees. Wrist action is loose and relaxed. This should take the cb to foot rail and out nicely on to the 15 ball.
Or,
With a level stroke and two tips of inside high, you can stroke through it, and have the cb go around the balls to get a shot on the 11 at the top of the stack. I prefer getting onto the 15. Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
Let me add a little caveat to banking the 3 ball and landing on the 5 ball. Because the CB and 3 ball are, (according to photo) appear to be only about 4" apart, the stroke required needs to be perfectly timed with a smooth tempo or stroke! No need to use speed to get the CB to go by first, just the correct effect on the CB.
I love these spin shots when your nice and close and have a bit of cross since you can impart such good English on both object ball and cue ball

jtompilot

Verified Member
In banking the 3 ball, I would use straight high about 2 tips with the butt elevated about 5 degrees. Wrist action is loose and relaxed. This should take the cb to foot rail and out nicely on to the 15 ball.
Or,
With a level stroke and two tips of inside high, you can stroke through it, and have the cb go around the balls to get a shot on the 11 at the top of the stack. I prefer getting onto the 15. Whitey
Once you make the 3 it opens to spin for the 5 next.

Tobermory

Verified Member
How would bottom right draw get you on the 5 or 15? Do you mean a bottom left long stroke shot?

Seemed problematic to me too, but perhaps a bottom-right draw off the 3 could shape the 15 or 5 without too much speed on the 3.(?)

Tobermory

Verified Member
What is your thought process about how to stroke that, Chris? Where is your contact point on the cue ball? How long is your follow through?

I love these spin shots when your nice and close and have a bit of cross since you can impart such good English on both object ball and cue ball

Tobermory

Verified Member
It looks to me that the cue ball will pass across the return line of the 3 ball before the 3 ball gets there, even with a lot of spin on the cue ball. This kind of shot is easy to misjudge, but in this case it just feels on without much to worry about.

Isn't there a kiss on the 3 ? If you play it slow with top left you may be able to dodge it but it looks real close to me
That’s interesting. Obviously, you think there is more angle than I see. Where’s Whitey when you need him :)

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Do you mean a bottom left long stroke shot?
No, I was looking at it from a perspective of not double kissing; and thinking, badly, of setting up another bank shot.
As Ratamon quickly pointed out - a major flaw in thinking (akin to forgetting which pocket I'm playing).

Funny though; as I looked at the 3 bank a bit more, I realized it is a good shot and a double-kiss would be somewhat easy to avoid. The thing that most worried me about the 3 bank was the speed in which I thought it would have to be hit. But that too, is largely a misconception, I think.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
It looks to me that the cue ball will pass across the return line of the 3 ball before the 3 ball gets there, even with a lot of spin on the cue ball. This kind of shot is easy to misjudge, but in this case it just feels on without much to worry about.
Are you going to pound the 3 a bit and overcut it to create more angle hoping that the 3 would turn to the pocket? I’m looking at pic #2 and the angle looks a bit flat so like catkins I‘m inclined to think that the CB has to pass above the 3 with a nice and slow-spin Efren-like stroke. If there is a bit more angle than I see from the pics, then in playing that way there is a kiss all day as Kybanks says.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I just think the 3 ball bank is too close to a dbl kiss so for the money im not shooting it. If I were going to bank something cross corner it would be the 15.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I admit, I'm dumb as hell on these shots.. Is the cue ball suppose to go through the intersection before the three gets there, or after the three goes by???
Knocking yourself robs us from an opportunity ,
DOH ! bank the 3ball, get on the 5ball or the 15ball next.
You're having me on------------- right ?
You must have a very juicy stroke to get the cueball that long , and not smooch it coming past, I am jealous.

lll

Verified Member
i tried the bank on my table
no problem getting on the 15
the cue ball passed in front of the 3 with no problem...no worries about the kiss
i couldnt always get past the 5
once the kiss was very close but i beat it
other times i got the kiss or went into the 5
3 ball bank.png

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
the cue ball passed in front of the 3 with no problem...no worries about the kiss
/QUOTE]
Right. There is no kiss on the 3ball bank. Your green line is helpful. If the 3 were instead aligned straight to the left pocket facing, then there would be a kiss. As you say, using left spin on the CB does bring the kiss into play.

The reason I don't like the 3ball bank is that if you play po' on the 15, and miss the bank, it's a sellout of the 5 ball, and probably more.

jtompilot

Verified Member
View attachment 431513
Thanks Larry. I’m sure it’s more natural to get on the 15, then you have options after that.