Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
i tried the bank on my table
no problem getting on the 15
the cue ball passed in front of the 3 with no problem...no worries about the kiss
i couldnt always get past the 5
once the kiss was very close but i beat it
other times i got the kiss or went into the 5
Thanks Larry. So it looks like there is a bit more angle than I thought in which case top left will likely lead the CB straight into a kiss. It therefore seems a better shot to play for the 15 next as some have chosen to. I know I will likely sell out the 15 bank but I can win from there so a fair trade-off if the players are equally matched. I should not sell out the 5 if I play the 3 pocket speed

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
I used some spin to get on the 15 ( my house pro says just a twist) just not as much as trying to get behind the 5

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
another shot is to play the 11 two rails to my hole, and park the cb on top of the stack! I would suppose this has already been selected. Whitey

baby huey

Verified Member
The three ball is tempting but to me it's more about getting the three in front of your pocket and snookering your opponent. To do this, I'd hit the three ball fat and make sure the cueball is on his side rail behind the those two balls laying on his side.

beatle

Verified Member
being down in ball count and having a bad layout. if you think you have a decent chance of making the 3 and running those 4 open balls, you should shoot it even you if you are a dog to make the shot.

androd

Verified Member
Isn't there a kiss on the 3 ? If you play it slow with top left you may be able to dodge it but it looks real close to me
When the CB will go past the OB (not touching) and go in the opponets pocket or very close it's likely a kiss. You'd have to really try hard to kiss this one.
P.S. You'd have to overcut the 3balll and spin into it.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
being down in ball count and having a bad layout. if you think you have a decent chance of making the 3 and running those 4 open balls, you should shoot it even you if you are a dog to make the shot.
IMO, the bank is even money or 11/10 at most. Playing for the 15 next, depending on what angle you play for, 14,11, after that options for clipping into the small cluster or go across for the 12... BTW, my reasoning for trying to run into the 5, is to open up the 9 ball.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
When the CB will go past the OB (not touching) and go in the opponets pocket or very close it's likely a kiss. You'd have to really try hard to kiss this one.
Thanks Rodney. Are you saying that if the CB were placed to the left of the 3, such that it would pass the 3 into Donn's (top right) pocket, that would be a kiss ? I thought the CB would get out of the way a lot quicker given a thinner cut and therefore a higher speed relative to the speed of the 3 ? I've probably misunderstood your comment.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Thanks Rodney. Are you saying that if the CB were placed to the left of the 3, such that it would pass the 3 into Donn's (top right) pocket, that would be a kiss ? I thought the CB would get out of the way a lot quicker given a thinner cut and therefore a higher speed relative to the speed of the 3 ? I've probably misunderstood your comment.
Re. what androd stated about banks kissing, and what Doc said about the kiss being dependent on facing the pocket facing...all that's ok as a general rule, but it's not really as clear-cut or 100% accurate, as that...because...what also plays greatly into the equation is: how far away the object ball is from the rail or pocket that it's facing towards, how far away the object ball is from the cueball, and what type of stroke is used.......when I give a One Pocket lesson, I go into this thoroughly.

- Ghost

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
I've probably misunderstood your comment.
My Bad, if the CB in the pic was moved lower where you could hit near the pocket, maybe an inch back along the short rail it would no doubt kiss unless you do something special. Most kisses can be avoided.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
another shot is to play the 11 two rails to my hole, and park the cb on top of the stack! I would suppose this has already been selected. Whitey
Hardmix & I both put up that shot, Whitey. Though I think if I were to be at the table I'd probably like the 3 bank.

Happy Anniversary, Whitey! 🎥

androd

Verified Member
Hardmix & I both put up that shot, Whitey. Though I think if I were to be at the table I'd probably like the 3 bank.

Happy Anniversary, Whitey! 🎥
Nothing is written in stone, It's usually a bad idea to leave your CB behind the balls facing your opponents pocket.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Now I am lost , are you saying it's difficult to get a kiss banking the 3 if you are playing shape for the 5? or the 15 . To me the bank and get on the 15 is no problem ,however, banking the 3 and getting on the 5 without a kiss is highly unlikely for me

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
My Bad, if the CB in the pic was moved lower where you could hit near the pocket, maybe an inch back along the short rail it would no doubt kiss unless you do something special. Most kisses can be avoided.
Thank you for explaining this androd. This is very helpful to know when there is or isn't a kiss.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Re. what androd stated about banks kissing, and what Doc said about the kiss being dependent on facing the pocket facing...all that's ok as a general rule, but it's not really as clear-cut or 100% accurate, as that...because...what also plays greatly into the equation is: how far away the object ball is from the rail or pocket that it's facing towards, how far away the object ball is from the cueball, and what type of stroke is used.......when I give a One Pocket lesson, I go into this thoroughly.

- Ghost
You may consider writing a book Ghost and putting some DVDs out for posterity! I will be the first in the queue to buy them!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
You may consider writing a book Ghost and putting some DVDs out for posterity! I will be the first in the queue to buy them!
Thanks mon...
...matter of fact bro, over the years, several different people/players have told me that I need to write a One Pocket book, or make a DVD, but I just never have got the energy together to do it......relating to that subject, here's an interesting anecdote that nobody here knows of...

I first met our Commander, Steve Booth, about 18 years ago, a coupla years before he launched onepocket.org....when we first talked back then, Steve told me that he was considering writing a One Pocket book, and had started writing down his thoughts to that end...we then discussed my collaborating with him on this book, and I started sending him some ideas, formats, content, etc...and then...

Somehow life got in the way and it never happened 😟 ...I think maybe Steve got the idea for onepocket.org, and decided to put all of his energy into creating this site instead.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
That's true. In this case there is no kiss, unless you try to spin the CB with too much left, which could cause a kiss when the 3 ball comes back off the rail.

beatle

Verified Member
steve had great notes working with you ghost. i bought them from him for 20,000 bucks a while back. it has helped my game a lot.