Frost vs. Smith in New Orleans

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Day one Recap:

The players have agreed to play a minimum of 8 hours per day in this 8 ahead set, with additional play with mutual consent. My assessment after a day one that ended in a tie.

This is dead gambling. Scott is a little off in his ball running and has admitted that the table is tough and the conditions are different than the desert where he plays. According to Frost, there were 8 games where he got to seven and lost. What does that tell you? He's rusty and Smith is a dangerous man.

Overall summary so far:

Moving: no advantage
Ball running: Smith
Banking: Smith
Playing the score: Frost
Demeanor/intangibles: Smith

Frost's backers were offering 2-1 odds for the first hour. Once they saw how the games were going, the odds went down to +140 if you bet Smith. After four hours, it was an even bet. It kind of reminded me of the election. One candidate was a perceived favorite, but as the votes came in, the odds began to move in the favor of the underdog.

Day 2 starts at 5:00 pm. No stream.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
If you guys are anywhere near New Orleans or can find a way to get down to Buffalo's to sweat this do it.

The styles both these guys play is attacking, aggressive power one pocket at the highest level.

Unfortunately no stream for this match so the only way to sweat it is old school you have to go watch it in person.

Thanks for the updates Joe,great job and keep them coming.

Copy of Blue and Red Wrestling Poster - Made with PosterMyWall (4).jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm surprised that Scott was able to do as well on the first day as he did. That 4-1/8" table under the N.O. humid conditions plays like it's 3-7/8". Scott is used to Ariz. dry, fast sliding cloth with pockets that will accept a less than perfect hit. He'll likely improve as he adjusts.

~Doc

BRLongArm

Verified Member
This match has turned into a war of attrition. After 24 hours of play, the coin sits at even. It will be interesting how the older player's body holds up after all this stress and play. Scott is nearly 44 years old and Danny is only 31 or 32. While Scott is by no means old, he is not in peak condition and has not been playing competitively for three years. By contrast, Danny gambles every week and has played in many wars over those same three years. Day two was a 15 hour war. How does your body bounce back after playing 15 hours?

Prediction: The longer it goes, the better for the younger player in better playing shape.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
This match has turned into a war of attrition. After 24 hours of play, the coin sits at even. It will be interesting how the older player's body holds up after all this stress and play. Scott is nearly 44 years old and Danny is only 31 or 32. While Scott is by no means old, he is not in peak condition and has not been playing competitively for three years. By contrast, Danny gambles every week and has played in many wars over those same three years. Day two was a 15 hour war. How does your body bounce back after playing 15 hours?

Prediction: The longer it goes, the better for the younger player in better playing shape.

If you have had a broken neck, you bounce back in a couple of daze.

baby huey

Verified Member
Scott's game has deteriorated little by little over the last five years or so. He is not as hungry as he once was. On the other hand Danny's game has improved as he stays in action competing at the highest levels. I used to like Scott's game but I'm not so sure anymore. He used to be in the top three One Pocket players but now he's in the top ten. If he wins it will be a struggle for him and if this session lasts awhile I like Danny.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Scott's game has deteriorated little by little over the last five years or so. He is not as hungry as he once was. On the other hand Danny's game has improved as he stays in action competing at the highest levels. I used to like Scott's game but I'm not so sure anymore. He used to be in the top three One Pocket players but now he's in the top ten. If he wins it will be a struggle for him and if this session lasts awhile I like Danny.

I watched him play in a tournament here in Kentucky before Derby. It wasn't pretty. He must have been practicing this spring to even play par with Danny.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
There is no stream

There is no stream

Clearing up some rumors.

Both players wanted a stream, but wanted an appearance fee. Big Truck offered it, but couldn't do it right after the tournament because of a scheduling problem. All the stake horses and players were in New Orleans already, and the money was posted. Costs associated with plane tickets and job conflicts prevented postponing the match. Several other streamers were contacted, but couldn't do it for whatever reason.

Buffalo is interested in having an in house stream, but at this point it is just a concept. So you have to sweat the match the old fashion way and make yourself down to Buffalo's on Bloomfield.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Frost vs. Smith in New Orleans

Clearing up some rumors.

Both players wanted a stream, but wanted an appearance fee. Big Truck offered it, but couldn't do it right after the tournament because of a scheduling problem. All the stake horses and players were in New Orleans already, and the money was posted. Costs associated with plane tickets and job conflicts prevented postponing the match. Several other streamers were contacted, but couldn't do it for whatever reason.

Buffalo is interested in having an in house stream, but at this point it is just a concept. So you have to sweat the match the old fashion way and make yourself down to Buffalo's on Bloomfield.

Thanks so much for all of the updates, Joe.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
What was the appearance fee? Did the backers want a piece?

I will keep the details private between the parties, but no, the backers did not want the fee and the players were fine with the fee; the dates just didn't work for the parties.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Day 3 recap: Frost up 4 games. Long slog, a little more loose play by both players. Day 4 starts about 8 pm.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
From Frost's facebook:

Day 3 is in the books. Somehow I’m up 4 games but this man is creative. Here his pockets on the left. You can’t really see the other two balls on the lower rail by my pocket. He ripped all the balls and tried to pocket the 5 in his hole at the same time! I ended up winning this game but it’s stressful. He’s a real talent especially on this tight wet equipment.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
From Frost's facebook:

Day 3 is in the books. Somehow I’m up 4 games but this man is creative. Here his pockets on the left. You can’t really see the other two balls on the lower rail by my pocket. He ripped all the balls and tried to pocket the 5 in his hole at the same time! I ended up winning this game but it’s stressful. He’s a real talent especially on this tight wet equipment.

That was a interesting shot.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Clearing up some rumors.

Thanks for the clarity; I for one read Scott chose the table (as part of the negotiations) and that he didn't want it streamed several times on Facebook. It's good to know the truth.

Speaking of truth, I must say that the best thing I heard on the stream was when you said you "put the mouth on him" then explained that it basically meant commentary curse. That was funny...and that's the truth. I enjoyed your commentary very much, thanks for all you do down there.

Dave

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I was sitting close enough to hear a lot of the commentary live, and I could tell it was great from Joe, Bill I, Mary and Scott, but Ray Ray's gravelly voice just wouldn't penetrate my old eardrums. I've never heard Richie commentate... how was he?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Day 4

Day 4

At the beginning of the session Frost was up four. They are still playing and Danny is up three.