Ghost vs. Barry 8 wwyd?

wincardona

Verified Member
Absolutely bro....word for word, that was my thinking, and that's what I shot = simple to execute, removes his most makeable ball, and with an excellent positional result guaranteed...

Conversely, as vapros/Bill said re. the concern with moving parts, and not knowing where the balls are going - the different shots mentioned of knocking the 1 and 9 around and staying behind the 11 could work out - but also, those shots could very easily end up with a ball ending up on the foot rail or the long rail that your opponent can see - which he will then bank into balls to either clear out your side, or turn things around on you.

Here's how it came out >>>
I believe you passed up the better option with playing the 5 into the 9ball. This option could very possibly position a ball close to your pocket near the bottom rail that will be protected. As long as you protect the 7ball there isn't much your opponent can do to you to break down your position and the execution needed to protect the 7ball is almost automatic. This option can easily win you the game in the next inning when you come back to the table. Plus you have moved both the 5ball and 9ball from his side to a more advantageous position for the shooter.

The option you chose was simple to execute but leaves holes for your opponent to wiggle out of to eventually create an up table game. For instance, he can bank the 6ball toward the 9ball to create some positive action toward his pocket while positioning the cue ball on top of the 2ball swinging two cushions, a shot you are very familiar with. IMO, your choice was conservative, (in terms of the expected result) and I believe the more aggressive thinking with the 5-9ball combination greatly increases your chances of winning from this superior position.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I believe you passed up the better option with playing the 5 into the 9ball. This option could very possibly position a ball close to your pocket near the bottom rail that will be protected. As long as you protect the 7ball there isn't much your opponent can do to you to break down your position and the execution needed to protect the 7ball is almost automatic. This option can easily win you the game in the next inning when you come back to the table. Plus you have moved both the 5ball and 9ball from his side to a more advantageous position for the shooter.

The option you chose was simple to execute but leaves holes for your opponent to wiggle out of to eventually create an up table game. For instance, he can bank the 6ball toward the 9ball to create some positive action toward his pocket while positioning the cue ball on top of the 2ball swinging two cushions, a shot you are very familiar with. IMO, your choice was conservative, (in terms of the expected result) and I believe the more aggressive thinking with the 5-9ball combination greatly increases your chances of winning from this superior position.

Dr. Bill
Nah, I'll stick with my shot partner...as I posted earlier re. your shot >>>

"Conversely, as vapros/Bill said re. the concern with moving parts, and not knowing where the balls are going - the different shots mentioned of knocking the 5 and 9 around and staying behind the 11 could work out (if you have the skills to stun 5" forward perfectly onto the 11) - otherwise, those shots will most likely end up with the 5ball ball ending up near the foot rail where your opponent can see it - which he will then bank into balls to clear out your side....or a ball ending up by the long rail/above the 7ball where your opponent can see it - which he will then bank into balls to turn things around on you....and if not any of that, he can come off of the left side of the 8ball to the long rail behind the 7 for an available escape route."

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I like this shot too, Bill. This shot can also be played very aggressively by shooting the five directly towards the nine and drawing the cue ball back to the side rail using the eleven as a blocker. Who knows, the various caroms which will take place may just send a ball into your pocket. I can see with a little bit of luck that happening here. Five, into the nine, nine into the three, three off the thirteen and into the twelve, twelve into the hole and "Cheese Please!" Either way, everything is moving forward. Just as we like it!

I"m not as big a fan as those of you who wish to roll up on the eleven, even while compromising the speed. Two reasons; Ghost may be right and the five may lay along the foot rail giving the opponent a way out. And why try to be cute here with the cue ball. As we all know, that backfires sometimes.

Tom

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
I like this shot too, Bill. This shot can also be played very aggressively by shooting the five directly towards the nine and drawing the cue ball back to the side rail using the eleven as a blocker. Who knows, the various caroms which will take place may just send a ball into your pocket. I can see with a little bit of luck that happening here. Five, into the nine, nine into the three, three off the thirteen and into the twelve, twelve into the hole and "Cheese Please!" Either way, everything is moving forward. Just as we like it!

I"m not as big a fan as those of you who wish to roll up on the eleven, even while compromising the speed. Two reasons; Ghost may be right and the five may lay along the foot rail giving the opponent a way out. And why try to be cute here with the cue ball. As we all know, that backfires sometimes.

Tom
Very well put Tom. I mentioned that when playing the shot if you are uncomfortable with trying to freeze or position the cue ball on the 11ball you can easily stop it and use the 11ball to the fullest in protecting the 7ball. Even though we may not know where the balls are going we do know where they're not going. That is one of the strengths of the shot. To me, it's like your free-rolling to really lock your opponent up while strengthening your position.

Dr. Bill

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Guys, why not just jump over the 5 making the 12, for it is just a 1/2 ball jump and well spaced, and nearly straight in!
An Earl shot. Not exactly a go to shot but something to consider for those that are somewhat proficient in jumping with a full cue.

I decided to stay out of the 5 into the 9 and lay up on the 11 discussion, you guys have worked that over pretty good!

My shot that I picked was to come off the right side of the 5 w/ high reverse sending the cb into the side rail and back into the area between the 3 & 9, the 5 ball goes to foot rail to protect the foot end of the table.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BBNvLN7r2zeaCm847 click on video for sound. Whitey

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
To answer opg's shot-Why wouldnt the incoming player just shoot in the 11 ?

El Chapo

Verified Member
That shot sticking him on the 11 is way to strong to pass. Don't even think about anything but sticking him, on that line between the corner and side.

I like what I heard buddy hall say a time or two, if you can't control your cb almost perfectly by following the cb a short distance you need to stop playing pool.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
That shot sticking him on the 11 is way to strong to pass. Don't even think about anything but sticking him, on that line between the corner and side.

I like what I heard buddy hall say a time or two, if you can't control your cb almost perfectly by following the cb a short distance you need to stop playing pool.
Are you kidding me, I needed a laugh! The Ghost, and Tom are saying to stay away from this shot, and Dr. Bill saying if you can not control the cb to lay up on the 11 then just draw it on a line behind the 11, so he's recognizing the talent required to pull this off. This is high end stuff!!!!!
Just how are you going to stroke the cb to get enough speed on the object balls to catch a rail and still gently roll up on the 11 to also protect from a return shot off the 5. I'd like to see it!
Unless you are taking an intentional, which is ridiculous.
That 5 has to be a 98% full hit, which means it is going into the 9 pretty fully, so where is the speed coming from to catch a rail, plus cb has to gently nestle up against the 11.
This shot is not kiddy land, this takes a lot of knowledge to pull off. This is one of the most challenging shots to come up in any of these wwyds.

I guess I need to stop playing pool. I am still laughing! Whitey

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
That 5 has to be a 98% full hit, which means it is going into the 9 pretty fully, so where is the speed coming from to catch a rail, plus cb has to gently nestle up against the 11.
I just took a hard look at this again and wouldn't change my choice.
A solid 98% hit on the 5 will impart enough momentum for that 9 to carom the 3 and get to the rail at 2.5 diamonds up.
To be sure, the play on the CB is touchy, but it is gauge-able. Enough so that I would be more comfortable with that shot than many others.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I just took a hard look at this again and wouldn't change my choice.
A solid 98% hit on the 5 will impart enough momentum for that 9 to carom the 3 and get to the rail at 2.5 diamonds up.
To be sure, the play on the CB is touchy, but it is gauge-able. Enough so that I would be more comfortable with that shot than many others.
If you feel you have the ability to do this shot, more power to ya!
If you are capable of setting it up properly, and I think there are adequate pictures to do so, and after trying the shot, I'd be interested in your results. I'd have to see a video.
I set it up and could not come close, but I'll work on it some more to learn how to scrub off the speed of the cb while adding more speed to the object balls so I can catch a rail. I was going to do a video, but what would be the point, I can not do the shot. It would take someone much more in stroke than I am, and more in tune with cb responses in accordance with the applied stroke.
I know how to do these type of shots, but this one has very little room to work with for the cb, and it has to so precise.
Or as El Chapo states;
"I better quit playing pool"! LOL !!!! I am no keyboard pusher on this shot. Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
whitey
if I told you it doesn’t matter if you get a rail
would that put the difficulty of the shot as doable for you?
taking a foul and protecting your position I don’t think it’s a bad trade off
do you?

OldSchool

Verified Member
just roll onto the 11 i dont even care where the five and nine go just stick him, even if you have to foul.
That shot sticking him on the 11 is way to strong to pass. Don't even think about anything but sticking him
Are you kidding me, I needed a laugh! This is high end stuff!!!!!
Just how are you going to stroke the cb to get enough speed on the object balls to catch a rail and still gently roll up on the 11 to also protect from a return shot off the 5. I'd like to see it!
Unless you are taking an intentional, which is ridiculous.
This shot is not kiddy land, this takes a lot of knowledge to pull off. This is one of the most challenging shots to come up in any of these wwyds.

I guess I need to stop playing pool. I am still laughing! Whitey
I agree with you Whitey. But it's obvious from all of his repetitive posts saying shoot, shoot, shoot, knowledge counts for very little, that this Chapo doesn't understand one pocket. He thinks and talks like a young 9ball player. And while we're on the subject: I have to constantly laugh at similar posts in these wwyd's. Guys are constantly posting up these shot choices as if they're going to easily accomplish them when in reality they have about a 10%-20% of accomplishing them.

And the other thing that makes me shake my head when reading these wwyd's: Usually the best choice gets posted up in the first few replies. Then guys keep picking different shots. I don't think they would really pick these different shots, their goal is just to pick something different then the earlier guy, even when they really know that the earlier poster already pointed out the best choice.

Old School

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
whitey
if I told you it doesn’t matter if you get a rail
would that put the difficulty of the shot as doable for you?
taking a foul and protecting your position I don’t think it’s a bad trade off
do you?
Look this is What Would You Do, Dr. Bill has the skill to do this shot, and others that picked this shot either have it, or have mis-judged this shot.

To answer your question; I believe this would be better addressed to those that have more experience than I. But, IMO you would be putting yourself in a very worst position even though you are moving the 5 and 9 that are scoring balls for the opponent, you now have put yourself lock up behind the 11 and sooner or later you are going to have to shoot your way out of there, and then how are you going to protect your balls combined with not selling out. Whitey

lll

Verified Member
Look this is What Would You Do, Dr. Bill has the skill to do this shot, and others that picked this shot either have it, or have mis-judged this shot.

To answer your question; I believe this would be better addressed to those that have more experience than I. But, IMO you would be putting yourself in a very worst position even though you are moving the 5 and 9 that are scoring balls for the opponent, you now have put yourself lock up behind the 11 and sooner or later you are going to have to shoot your way out of there, and then how are you going to protect your balls combined with not selling out. Whitey
Thanks for the reply whitey

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
and after trying the shot, I'd be interested in your results. I'd have to see a video.
I set it up and could not come close
Seeing your play in so many videos, I have a strong respect for your abilities and your perspective - so; I'm not saying you're wrong - just looking for some more dialogue about it and stating my impressions based on the photos. I'd love to set it up and try it, but alas - not happening right now.

It's been so long since I've picked up my stick, I'm beginning to question whether I could even hit the cue-ball anymore.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Seeing your play in so many videos, I have a strong respect for your abilities and your perspective - so; I'm not saying you're wrong - just looking for some more dialogue about it and stating my impressions based on the photos. I'd love to set it up and try it, but alas - not happening right now.

It's been so long since I've picked up my stick, I'm beginning to question whether I could even hit the cue-ball anymore.
thanks for your reply, it is well taken and respected. I hope the pool halls open up for you soon. Our bars and our one pool hall opened up quite a few weeks ago, but it was just last Friday that they allowed the pool tables to be open. I am still laying low for I am a high risk. take care! Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GU5gHhaK4g5Pgq6q6 click on video to get sound.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xbkeb4rfKoBRSB2r8 I am excited for I came so close to pulling this shot off. I am learning and this is what these wwyd's do for me.
If the 5 was or in fact is set up to contact the 9 just a little less, I then would of contacted a rail. But as is the 5 is protected. As you can see it does take a specialized stroke & method!

sorackem and others that cannot take this to the table, this is for you! Whitey

Last edited: