Ghost vs. Donn 14 wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
My shot --- my pocket is at the bottom left --- ball score is 5-3, Ghost ahead, Donn going to 7, Ghost going to 9 --- to bank the 8ball straight back, naturally, the 9ball is in the way - if you take a ruler/straight edge and place it against your computer screen, in the track from 2" left of the first diamond on the head rail, to my pocket, you will see that this is the case....however, the bank might be just barely makeable if I want to shoot the 8 exactly straight ahead, and max. twist it --- so then, moving on --- wwyd ----->

005.JPG006.JPG

vapros

Verified Member
Ghostie, when you mention twisting the 8 ball in, I imagine you meant opening the angle off the head rail, hitting Jojo with rh english. I will do just the opposite, sending the 8 to the center diamond on the head rail and holding it up with lh english. I believe I can get it real close, and it's a more natural shot for me - I have much better luck shooting it that way. Might protect it, too.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Natural 3 rail long rail up/down, gear whitey with a 2:30 cue ball. Using follow, might make the ball sitting in pocket. Good chance at hanging up the 8 ball in my pocket.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Make the 7 ball it goes on the spot, roll into the 8 and send it to the corner and use whatever i need to put on cueball to keep from caroming off the 8 and selling out the 3 ball shot I think you can snuggle on the 3 to keep him from the spot shot.

lll

Verified Member
i would bank the 8 to my threat zone and use the 7/3 for cover
i know he could bank the 7 or 3 but if the 8 gets close enough to the side rail he will have trouble playing the cue ball safe if he misses the bank
ghost don again.png

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I would bank the 8 up, back, up, and back again to either make it or position it in front of my hole, while holding the cb behind the 3-7.

Ghost, this is known as 1 hole banks w/ a built in safety! Bank players recognize this 1 hole bank right away! LOL!!!
Or,
just max spin it, nice call! Whitey

lll

Verified Member
I would bank the 8 up, back, up, and back again to either make it or position it in front of my hole, while holding the cb behind the 3-7.

Ghost, this is known as 1 hole banks w/ a built in safety! Bank players recognize this 1 hole bank right away! LOL!!!
Or,
i did not think of the 3 railer whitey
good call
same idea but the 8 ends up closer to the pocket

cincy_kid

Verified Member
First shot I saw and liked was rod's 9 ball bank, played with some LHE and get on the 13 next, but hard enough to not give a cross corner if I miss.

Bill, I have never shot a 3 rail long like that before in a game that I can remember, but that's laying about as perfect as you can get for one. Stop CB right there and even if its close they are in trouble, I like it...

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
One-rail the 8 pocket speed, keep it just inside that 9-ball, leave CB snuggled up with the 12 15.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I like throwing the 8 with some right on the cb, pocket speed is fine...I ain’t trying to make it, I want the cb snuggled in between the 3/7 as tight as a frogs butt... I’m mainly playing the cb, as long as I get it there, the 8 can settle somewhere near my pocket off the foot rail an I’ll sit down very happy with it....

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I’m still banking the 8 pocket speed to my side and trying to protect it with the 3. I don’t see a better shot here. The bank on the 9 looks too thin.

Tobermory

Verified Member
Like others, I'll bank the 8 inside the 9 ball, with enough speed that the 8 ends up about half a diamond off the short rail and protected by the 3/7, but I will also try to either make the 15 or leave the cue ball right on top of it. If the 15 goes in, I've got another ball I can make and he has to worry about it on his return shot.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
First shot I saw and liked was rod's 9 ball bank, played with some LHE and get on the 13 next, but hard enough to not give a cross corner if I miss.

Bill, I have never shot a 3 rail long like that before in a game that I can remember, but that's laying about as perfect as you can get for one. Stop CB right there and even if its close they are in trouble, I like it...
I'd rather roll toward the head rail and not allot a bank/hide on those 2 balls by the

Island Drive

Verified Member
This is a natural free shot that often comes up in rotation games, especially cross side.

I would tho consider, not leaving my cue ball next to the 3/7, too easy for your opponent to bank one of those two balls to his hole and hide.

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member

Or,
Uuh Whitey, you're not telling me anything that I don't already know....besides One Pocket, I've been playing banks since 1965, including getting my banks education by playing in bank ring and partners games with Bugs, Country, Big Sam, Tough Tony, and the other top bankers of Chicago when I was just 19-21 yrs. old - I am aware of all the bank shots.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
As an aggressive shot I like banking the 9ball. But I'd likely twist the 8 toward the pocket and try to roll the CB up where he has trouble bridging over the 15.

catkins

Verified Member
I really like kicking the thirteen to my pocket and letting the cue ball come back into the 8. Kick off the short rail with right spin

Kybanks

Verified Member
I'm ahead, I'm banking the 13 towards the 8 ball, bringing the cb around the 2nd diamond on my long rail. Pretty simple and absolutely boring! Lol