Ghost vs. Donn 14 wwyd?

beatle

Verified Member
i do larry's bank on the 8 but do it so i follow to freeze him up on that 15. no scratch with those tight pockets there.

most players are far worse off shooting long over a ball than doing something else. even if he sees the 8 knocking it away with no cue ball control will leave you a good shot or option.

lll

Verified Member
i do larry's bank on the 8 but do it so i follow to freeze him up on that 15. no scratch with those tight pockets there.

most players are far worse off shooting long over a ball than doing something else. even if he sees the 8 knocking it away with no cue ball control will leave you a good shot or option.
My concern about going towards the 15 was knocking it in
i like it being out of play

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
My concern about going towards the 15 was knocking it in
i like it being out of play
They both need 4 and the 15 isn't blocking anything for him so knocking it in shouldn't be much of a concern ?

lll

Verified Member
They both need 4 and the 15 isn't blocking anything for him so knocking it in shouldn't be much of a concern ?
This should be a good teaching point as I am curious how the better players think about the 15 ball
your point is valid ....right now both players can win with the 15 where it is
but
here is my thinking and I have an open mind to change
1) why put one more ball in play if I don’t have to
2) since I am the better player I plan to be further ahead before my opponent where down the road he might need that ball more than I do
3) right now it doesn’t help him or me......if I make it and it spots it’s a playable ball for both of us ....so if I make a mistake
its a possible ball for him where if it stays put he has to work for another ball
jmho
icbw

baby huey

Verified Member
Bank the eight ball between the three and nine balls to the end rail and attempt to pocket the fifteen ball with the cueball. If successful, you have created a highly desirable situation.

beatle

Verified Member
you may not like the shot but most all times that 15 is not going in as it is outside the pocket against the rail.

i dont want to make it as it puts him over a ball and a long shot to do anything to you. if i did make it no big deal.
plus that 15 ball there, is a plus for you and a good ball to use later on for safes if you get in trouble.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
This should be a good teaching point as I am curious how the better players think about the 15 ball
your point is valid ....right now both players can win with the 15 where it is
but
here is my thinking and I have an open mind to change
1) why put one more ball in play if I don’t have to
2) since I am the better player I plan to be further ahead before my opponent where down the road he might need that ball more than I do
3) right now it doesn’t help him or me......if I make it and it spots it’s a playable ball for both of us ....so if I make a mistake
its a possible ball for him where if it stays put he has to work for another ball
jmho
icbw
I think as a better player you will need fewer visits at the table to win so the more balls are in play at any given moment the better for you as your opponent is supposed to make more mistakes than you. Would be also keen to know what our venerable members on here think.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
dont forget, if you don't have the 8 pretty close to your pocket and decide to roll forward with the CB on the 15 or pocketing the 15, you are giving your opponent a free bank on the 9 and they can probably run the CB down to the foot rail to hide you behind where the 8 ends up or just to the foot rail where the 13 may be blocking the 9.

beatle

Verified Member
the less balls in play favors the better player.
although having open balls that let you get out but dont let him is better.

play one and stop with a better player and see if you ever win a game which you wont and will have a long beard before you realize how odds increase from multiple trials

beatle

Verified Member
cincy can you do that shot jacked up over a ball? even if you get it all right and leave the two balls on the short rail he sends them up table on the next shot.

most shots that arent simple, i figure out what his replay will be, then what i will do in each of the likely spots it will put me in and about how likely each of those will occur. then i can derive the best course of action with all the available info.
if you are not going to put a ball in your hole and keep shooting then that is what gives you the guidance needed to decide on your shot.

Reactions: lll

cincy_kid

Verified Member
cincy can you do that shot jacked up over a ball? even if you get it all right and leave the two balls on the short rail he sends them up table on the next shot.

most shots that arent simple, i figure out what his replay will be, then what i will do in each of the likely spots it will put me in and about how likely each of those will occur. then i can derive the best course of action with all the available info.
if you are not going to put a ball in your hole and keep shooting then that is what gives you the guidance needed to decide on your shot.
with my mouse of course I can! :)

jtompilot

Verified Member
Where’s Mitch when you need him, the four rail on the 13 is available🤣

jtompilot

Verified Member
Bank the eight ball between the three and nine balls to the end rail and attempt to pocket the fifteen ball with the cueball. If successful, you have created a highly desirable situation.
I might like the 3/7 combo from there, running the QB down for the 13

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Whitey or someone give me that 3 railer up and down video. The more I look at it I like it...how hard do you have to hit that sucker?

androd

Verified Member
Whitey or someone give me that 3 railer up and down video. The more I look at it I like it...how hard do you have to hit that sucker?
Shoot straight ahead, lots of 3,o:clock, the table decides the speed.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member

Well Chris, as a matter of fact, the 3-times-straight back is the shot that I shot here...in a serious game I wouldn't have picked it, but Donn and I gamble cheap, and the one good thing about that is, you can shoot at any wild, or Chohan shot if you want to 👻...and I was really glad to have the opportunity to try this shot since it doesn't come up very often in One Pocket...

And interestingly re. you asking about hitting it hard enough...I was thinking about that as I was down to shoot it, and wanting to make sure that I hit it hard enough, I ended up shooting it too hard 💪 :oops:...

Obviously, getting only one swing at it, it's not an easy shot to judge and hit well...that said, I hit it ok, but not quite good enough...what happened was, I hit it a little too hard, and also a little too long = after the 8ball hit the head rail for the second time and was heading back down towards my pocket area, it went into my long rail approx. 1-1/2 diamonds above my pocket, then went into the foot rail, and rebounded up to where you see it sitting in this final pic.

So, it was fun trying it, and I hope it comes up for me again sometime...here's how it ended up >>>

007.JPG

Last edited: