Ghost vs. John 49 - wwyd?

lll

Verified Member
Thanks for the post Old School...I'm glad you enjoy the wwyd's, and you are correct in saying that they are a very important part of this site, and the more members that post up their opinion the better...and also as you said, a lot of our regulars are MIA recently in the wwyd's = some of the missing bro's that come to mind are: the three Bills, four John's, Keith, Mitch, larry, Todd, Ben, Robert, unoperro, J.R. Tom, beatle, tobermory, and more - that's a whole lot of MIA's.

- Ghost
ghost
larry MIA ???????????????????????????????????????
post number 4

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
ghost
larry MIA ???????????????????????????????????????
post number 4
Except Larry, I said in recent wwyd's many regulars have been MIA...yes, you posted in this one (y), but not in the previous two that I put up 🙁, i.e. last weeks Donn vs. John 3 - wwyd?

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
I haven't read all the posts on this shot but I feel strongly about a certain shot providing it's executed in a specific way. Crossing the 12ball looks to be the only viable option but in order to execute this shot to get the best results with consistency, you must elevate using an extremely low contact point hit on the cue ball (7oclock) striking the 12ball very thinly with medium speed. The cue ball will strike the 12ball then the side rail, the low English will control the cue ball to come straight across the table midway between the side pocket and the opposite corner pocket.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
Didn't mean to keep you in suspense, Ghost..:) My first inclination was to thin the 12 with a left masse type shot, which would remove the 12 while keeping the CB in the lower third of the table.

But now I'm inclined to take Jerry's/Kyb's shot, and go 3 rails with the CB off the 12. Might even accidentally make Whitey's shot!

I don't normally add on when several guys have already suggested my shot.

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
Didn't mean to keep you in suspense, Ghost..:) My first inclination was to thin the 12 with a left masse type shot, which would remove the 12 while keeping the CB in the lower third of the table.

But now I'm inclined to take Jerry's/Kyb's shot, and go 3 rails with the CB off the 12. Might even accidentally make Whitey's shot!

I don't normally add on when several guys have already suggested my shot.

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
I like your shot much more than going around the table. If you noticed the above post I posted explains how the shot IMO needs to be executed to get the results needed to succeed with controlling the cue ball to where it needs to be controlled for this shot to be viable.

Dr. Bill

Kybanks

Verified Member
I haven't read all the posts on this shot but I feel strongly about a certain shot providing it's executed in a specific way. Crossing the 12ball looks to be the only viable option but in order to execute this shot to get the best results with consistency, you must elevate using an extremely low contact point hit on the cue ball (7oclock) striking the 12ball very thinly with medium speed. The cue ball will strike the 12ball then the side rail, the low English will control the cue ball to come straight across the table midway between the side pocket and the opposite corner pocket.

Dr. Bill
I like your shot much more than going around the table. If you noticed the above post I posted explains how the shot IMO needs to be executed to get the results needed to succeed with controlling the cue ball to where it needs to be controlled for this shot to be viable.

Dr. Bill
[/QUOTE
I believe this is the best option.

J.R.

Verified Member
sorry I ment from here. It was mostly a question to further discusion the out of a a given shot to change the momentum of the gameView attachment 429713
I would give up the one ball, tying the game at 6 each, in order to position the cue ball on the rail and in a direct line with the three object balls which are down table. It would seem that my opponent will not have a shot at his pocket to win the game but would be forced to play a safety off the 11-ball most likely to the right side of it. My opponent would need to be cautious not to pocket the 11-ball in the side and would probably strike the 11-ball to go past the side pocket whereby the cue ball might come up short and hopefully provide a cross corner bank for my incoming shot.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
I took your shot to the table, and in stroking it exacting as you explained, I was able to obtain the end desired result. The cb ended up just past the 2nd diamond near the opposite side rail, and the ob approx. just past straight across from it @ 2-1/4 diamond side rail and 1st diamond foot rail quadrant.
It took me awhile to work up to getting the correct technique, speed, and stroke control. How much are lessons? You are a wizard! Thank You! Whitey

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
My shot, my pocket is at the bottom right - the ball score is 6-5, Ghost ahead, both going to 8 --- I'm in a tricky situation here, trying to find a shot so-as to not leave John a makeable shot of any kind

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, being a 3cushion player, for me playing the cueball 3 rails between the 8ball and the 11ball and having it come back around, with the 12ball naturally going 3 rails over to my long rail, was a pretty easy choice to make - it was very similar to a 'natural' in 3cushion, a shot that I've shot countless times - and so that's what I shot...

It came out well, and I left John nothing....I did mean to have my cueball go about 1/2 diamond longer, and I almost mistakenly went short enough to leave John a straight back bank on the 13ball, but luckily I didn't...here's how it turned out >>> 008.JPG

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
That meets all the requirements , nice shot. Since I don't play 3 cushion at all , going around the table and through traffic is usually my last choice, if I had it to do over I would have at least learned the basics , but nobody ever played the game for more than a dollar for a race to 25 in Columbus, Ohio so it wasn't high priority.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Nice shot Ghost, but Larry’s and kyb shot is so easy a shaky stroke like mine can do it.
Except for the minor detail that Larry's shot left a dead ahead 3-railer on the 13ball with follow-up position, and he just lost the game o_O :giggle: :oops: here's the pic of his shot > >>>0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...jpg

jtompilot

Verified Member
Except for the minor detail that Larry's shot left a dead ahead 3-railer on the 13ball with follow-up position, and he just lost the game o_O :giggle: :oops: here's the pic of his shot > >>>View attachment 429751
Larry’s shot got away from him. Also, Larry probably couldn’t get between the balls going three rails. I shot it a half dozen times with the 11 getting between the side pockets and the cue ball a half diamond lower than Larry’s. Go ahead and shoot from there.

Just curious, can you get the cue ball to go three rails ten times in a row? I know I can get safe 10 times in a row. How many guys posting here can go three rails ten times in a row? I honestly don’t think I can.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Larry’s shot got away from him. Also, Larry probably couldn’t get between the balls going three rails. I shot it a half dozen times with the 11 getting between the side pockets and the cue ball a half diamond lower than Larry’s. Go ahead and shoot from there.

Just curious, can you get the cue ball to go three rails ten times in a row? I know I can get safe 10 times in a row. How many guys posting here can go three rails ten times in a row? I honestly don’t think I can.
I already owned my shortcomings ,lol
I believe a good 3 cushion player can do it almost every time , because they practice it.
Most people not so much.

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
Except for the minor detail that Larry's shot left a dead ahead 3-railer on the 13ball with follow-up position, and he just lost the game o_O :giggle: :oops: here's the pic of his shot > >>>View attachment 429751
My one and only attempt at my shot, the result was the cb was on the rail 1 diamond from the side pocket and the stripe was in the middle of the table between the side pocket. Just saying lol. But a very good result non the less!