Ghost vs. Pat 27 wwyd

mr3cushion

Verified Member
As usual, Great shooting Whitey!

I think, a very good replication of some of the players choices.

jtompilot

Verified Member
Thanks again Whitey, that’s one hell of a stroke to hit the ball hard in close quarters. Now for the big question

If your playing me and it’s your shot, what shot are you choosing? And how much time do you need to decide?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Thanks again Whitey, that’s one hell of a stroke to hit the ball hard in close quarters. Now for the big question

If your playing me and it’s your shot, what shot are you choosing? And how much time do you need to decide?
With the knowledge that I have now, that you or the other guys do not have, for you have not taken these shots to the table, I would bank the 8 ball just as mr3c stated how to do it! It would not take long to decide! whitey

I should clarify; if I just stepped up to the table playing you, of course I would stick with my original post of stroking into the foot rail and coming off and sending the 7 to my side of the table. It probably would not take me to long to decide. But after working 3 straight hours on all these shots, I realize this shot as with all the cross over banks on the 7, that they are extremely hard to pull off. I keep working on them to represent each members selection as best as I could. But until a member works on these shots, I believe it would be hard to envision just how hard these shots are to hit with the results that are achieved in the videos. Whitey

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
With the knowledge that I have now, that you or the other guys do not have, for you have not taken these shots to the table, I would bank the 8 ball just as mr3c stated how to do it! It would not take long to decide! whitey
You hit all the shots well, Whitey. I like 3CBill's shot, but also I like the 8 ball bank, now that I've seen that the scratch isn't there.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Thanks 12 square, mr3c, pilot and Doc for commenting on the videos. They look easy once done, but it was a lot of work and time invested into working with the 7 ball to get it and the cb to do what I wanted them to do. Thanks again, I appreciate the comments. Whitey

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
It’s just awesome Whitey! The thin cut is way too thin - I’m not that mad at my wallet as of yet to shoot it lol.

Just out of curiosity - on the double-titty shot - did you use straight draw because it did not lay right for speed on the 7 ball ?

I’d prefer to send the CB along the long rail but then it needs to travel further uptable to not let him see the 7.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
It’s just awesome Whitey! The thin cut is way too thin - I’m not that mad at my wallet as of yet to shoot it lol.

Just out of curiosity - on the double-titty shot - did you use straight draw because it did not lay right for speed on the 7 ball ?

I’d prefer to send the CB along the long rail but then it needs to travel further uptable to not let him see the 7.
The two rail cross over bank on the 7 off of the points was the hardest of all the shots, because there is not much angle to work with, for you hit the 7 without much cut. Thus there is more speed on the 7 than on the cb. You can not send the cb down the long rail for there is not enough cut. Force follow stalls the cb in a nice position to get a favorable kiss sending the 7 towards the hole but really hard to rely on. So the best I found to match the speed of both balls was to use center draw. There is a gap between the 14 & 4 so it is hard to protect both the 7 and the 3 ball.

Back banking the 7 coming off the foot rail induces left spin on the cb so when it hits the head cushion it spins unfavorably thus all the balls by your pocket are exposed. So you have to aim off the foot rail using left spin to contact the 7 ball thinner to control the path of the cb, very hard shot also.

The straight cut of the 7 off of the point, was impossible to control the cb, so once I realized this, I then let it go and finally got the good result. I believe I actually used right spin on this shot to get the cb to travel properly.

Thanks for asking the question! Whitey

Hard Times Carla

Well-Known-Member
Wow Whitey, your videos really have added a new dimension to the wwyd threads. Its easy to say cross it, but when I tried it, I kept selling out. This morning I tried all your shots. For my speed of play, I had the best result with taking the ball out three cushions and sending the cue ball all the way up.
Thanks for taking the time to show us the way to do it.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
You are welcome, Carla. You have also been good in responding towards comments I make about the Bellflower Palace, and I really appreciate it.

It sure is different when taking these shots to the table, reality hits! I enjoy working through these wwyds, and feel lucky I have the means to do it.
Yes, the taking of the 7 out 3 rails and bringing cb uptable is most likely the best shot in this wwyd.

I did a shot in John vs. Ray 6 I think you will really enjoy. Hit the pause button when I stroke it, and again directly after that. This will show you how the shot is done. The cb will be air borne. take care, Whitey

Hard Times Carla

Well-Known-Member
Talking about the Palace in Bellflower, I just talked to Steve Flowers yesterday and he said he had great memories of all the action in that place. He's still around, but since Hard Times has closed down for Covid, he is not coming around.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Talking about the Palace in Bellflower, I just talked to Steve Flowers yesterday and he said he had great memories of all the action in that place. He's still around, but since Hard Times has closed down for Covid, he is not coming around.
Good to hear, I have been wondering about him. He probably would not remember me, for I ran into Underdog when he had his place in '96 and he did not remember me. But that is to be expected for I only played for 3 yrs. so I was not around long, early '70's. thanks, Whitey

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
The two rail cross over bank on the 7 off of the points was the hardest of all the shots, because there is not much angle to work with, for you hit the 7 without much cut. Thus there is more speed on the 7 than on the cb. You can not send the cb down the long rail for there is not enough cut. Force follow stalls the cb in a nice position to get a favorable kiss sending the 7 towards the hole but really hard to rely on. So the best I found to match the speed of both balls was to use center draw. There is a gap between the 14 & 4 so it is hard to protect both the 7 and the 3 ball.

Back banking the 7 coming off the foot rail induces left spin on the cb so when it hits the head cushion it spins unfavorably thus all the balls by your pocket are exposed. So you have to aim off the foot rail using left spin to contact the 7 ball thinner to control the path of the cb, very hard shot also.

The straight cut of the 7 off of the point, was impossible to control the cb, so once I realized this, I then let it go and finally got the good result. I believe I actually used right spin on this shot to get the cb to travel properly.

Thanks for a very thorough explanation Whitey! I thought there was a bit more angle but those pics could be very deceiving!

catkins

Verified Member

for some reason I like these shot they really are just a mirror hit and when your closer to the pocket it actually easier for me to see the mirrored angle