Ghost vs. Pat 37 - wwyd? - DONE

lll

Verified Member
There are many instances in which a tap foul can be used to lessen the effects of a problem situation.
One of the biggest , would be one ball on the table in front of your pocket and the cueball ends up in the jaws of the top pocket on the same side.
If I take a foul there and you take a foul and then I roll out to the center diamond on the top rail frozen , now there is still a ball in front of your pocket but there are 3 balls on the spot and 1 in your pocket. You need 2 of them and I need 3, I might still lose the game , but he has to do something more than roll the cueball the length of the table. At least I am still alive. I discussed this with a guy who almost never misses a ball, because he brought it up. He made the same shot Preacher Ronn made against Scott Frost , kicked hard at the ball trying to make it and scratch and banked it over in his hole 1 rail, absolutely by accident. When I showed him what I would have done he said Oh ,the opponent would have just made the ball, and broke the others out and won anyway, yeah sometimes he will , but sometimes he won't , how often do you think you will get craphouse lucky and make the ball? Once in a lifetime?
thanks billy

beatle

Verified Member
nothing really needs to be changed in the games rules. it all works fine. the big thing with tapping or taking intentional fouls is that they benefit the better player as a ball is less valuable to him as to the other player. in cash games each has a chance to make adjustments to the game to his advantage before you start.
in tournaments you cant do that. but there the best players take down all the money anyway, and except for the enjoyment of playing, the weaker players are just throwing away their entry fees so why complain about the rules..

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
for me the upper corner is a better place for an intentional because it is much more difficult for opponent to get safe if you can cover up the 14 since the one rail lag to the bottom rail is not there and the intentional in the stack is not available. If you don't cover the 14 I think your going to end up on the bottom rail with the 14 on his side but if you get good behind the one ball it could win you the game
That's a pretty good shot. So you'd want to leave whitey on the rail adjacent to the 1st diamond from the corner. He can't really take a swing at the 4 ball, although some of the better shooters might.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
WDT Ghost think was the correct shot?????
Well Bill....If I was playing at Larry's house, on his table, with his house rules - I'd take an intentional and just tap the cueball :giggle: .....but if instead, I was playing at Darrell/darmoose's house, on his table, with his house rules, where there's no cueball tapping allowed - I'd take an intentional by shooting softly straight across to the long rail, rebounding the cueball right back to where it was 👻

- Ghost

P.S. Still, nobody named/guessed Pat's shot.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Well Bill....If I was playing at Larry's house, on his table, with his house rules - I'd take an intentional and just tap the cueball :giggle: .....but if instead, I was playing at Darrell/darmoose's house, on his table, with his house rules, where there's no cueball tapping allowed - I'd take an intentional by shooting softly straight across to the long rail, rebounding the cueball right back to where it was 👻

- Ghost

Settle down.... :p
good night :sleep:

lll

Verified Member

- Ghost

nice shot.....(y)

lll

Verified Member
nothing really needs to be changed in the games rules. it all works fine. the big thing with tapping or taking intentional fouls is that they benefit the better player as a ball is less valuable to him as to the other player. in cash games each has a chance to make adjustments to the game to his advantage before you start.
in tournaments you cant do that. but there the best players take down all the money anyway, and except for the enjoyment of playing, the weaker players are just throwing away their entry fees so why complain about the rules..
..................(y)(y)

NH Steve

Administrator
Thanks much for sayin' Larry - glad to help you out...

I put up these wwyd's to promote and teach One Pocket to all of our lurkers, and because I know that our members like to view them and post up their considered shot choices...also...

I've known Steve Booth since before he started this site 16 years ago, and we talked about this site that he wanted to develop...at one point back then, Steve asked me what I thought about him setting me up on the site to be the guy who would answer questions re. strategy, etc. from players that were learning the game - but we never did do that.........so as a way to support my old friend Steve for creating this great site, I put up the wwyd's to do my part to add good content to the site, helping to keep it vital and informative.

- Ghost
Wow, thank you Ghost -- that's a lot of years of support -- you are the BEST!!!

NH Steve

Administrator
The opportunities to improve your position by "nudging" a ball into a dead shot to your hole are an "urban legend" and literally non existent................well, ok maybe one outta a hundred or so........but, purely by accident.

I been playing this here game for about five decades and I can't remember seeing anybody try to nudge a ball on their first tap into a position where they had a dead ball, and IF that did happen any opponent would nudge it back to where it was or worse, wouldn't he?

You ever seen any real good player practicing "nudging" to get better at it? :unsure: :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

When the tapping game starts, it will continue until a player is forced to shoot or lose the game. Neither player is motivated to take a risk and sell out.
No, I've never practiced nudging the ball but hell yes, slightly nudging to improve the lie of the balls -- maybe even to create a dead one -- every time you nudge you should be thinking about things like that!!! The #2 priority in One Pocket moving, in my humble opinion, is looking for subtle ways to get something -- anything -- extra out of every shot. That being right behind your #1 priority of basic offense or defense of course.

NH Steve

Administrator
There are many instances in which a tap foul can be used to lessen the effects of a problem situation.
One of the biggest , would be one ball on the table in front of your pocket and the cueball ends up in the jaws of the top pocket on the same side.
If I take a foul there and you take a foul and then I roll out to the center diamond on the top rail frozen , now there is still a ball in front of your pocket but there are 3 balls on the spot and 1 in your pocket. You need 2 of them and I need 3, I might still lose the game , but he has to do something more than roll the cueball the length of the table. At least I am still alive. I discussed this with a guy who almost never misses a ball, because he brought it up. He made the same shot Preacher Ronn made against Scott Frost , kicked hard at the ball trying to make it and scratch and banked it over in his hole 1 rail, absolutely by accident. When I showed him what I would have done he said Oh ,the opponent would have just made the ball, and broke the others out and won anyway, yeah sometimes he will , but sometimes he won't , how often do you think you will get craphouse lucky and make the ball? Once in a lifetime?
I thought I had a guy beat once hill-hill with my game ball almost hanging in my pocket, but he whacked it out and it went four rails around the table and into his pocket for the win!! WTF, yup, sometimes crazy things go!!!!

Island Drive

Verified Member
No, I've never practiced nudging the ball but hell yes, slightly nudging to improve the lie of the balls -- maybe even to create a dead one -- every time you nudge you should be thinking about things like that!!! The #2 priority in One Pocket moving, in my humble opinion, is looking for subtle ways to get something -- anything -- extra out of every shot. That being right behind your #1 priority of basic offense or defense of course.
I talked to a life long W. Coast one pocket player, X backer of mine about the one two three fouls and your out.
He said, going in to the TOURNAMENT if he Knew That Rule before he made his first tap, it would NOT be a tap it would be a nudge of some type JIC he got it back. In doing so, he Knew it would NO longer be in the same position as it was. This would allow em to escape or attempt to from a position that created allot more options than he had.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
for me the upper corner is a better place for an intentional because it is much more difficult for opponent to get safe if you can cover up the 14 since the one rail lag to the bottom rail is not there and the intentional in the stack is not available. If you don't cover the 14 I think your going to end up on the bottom rail with the 14 on his side but if you get good behind the one ball it could win you the game
Do you mean the upper corner where you sell out the 4?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
nice shot.....(y)
Actually Larry, re. the tap shot, I was just joking around re. you and Darrell 🙃 ...

The shot that I would probably choose here is Jim's shot of jacking up/shooting straight into the 15, and drawing back.

catkins

Verified Member
Do you mean the upper corner where you sell out the 4?
From the chalk I don't mind him shooting the 4. But understand this is not the shot I would shoot I was explaining why this shot was a better intentional after hard case posted it than just bunting in the stack. If I felt competent enough to lay the cue ball down perfect while jacked up I like this shot but being tall enough to reach the draw shot off the 3 that is what I would take

Skin

Verified Member
Just came across this match earlier today. Make of it what you will. Gorst eventually won the game after both players fell to -2.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
Actually Larry, re. the tap shot, I was just joking around re. you and Darrell 🙃 ...

The shot that I would probably choose here is Jim's shot of jacking up/shooting straight into the 15, and drawing back.
ghost
i knew you were just being your ghosty self......(y)(y)
btw
if you ever get to my house
we play by MY RULES....:)

vapros

Verified Member
The impasse continued for 80 seconds before Gorst was finally obliged to shoot. Four tap fouls in that period. I liked it.