Golf Rules

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey guys, since we know now that we are playing the member's only tournament in Chicago this year, we know they have a snooker table and we can play some golf while we are there.

I put together a document with the basic rules and how to play the game. We can use these and if anyone feels strongly one way or another about a specific rule we can always just change something if the majority agree.

Please only suggest any changes if you plan on being there and plan on playing :)

Here is the link:

Golf Rules

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
If it's 5 against 1 when a player is going for his out hole, how does he ever get out? Must have to be a 3 railer in the side... And when you sacrifice your turn for the good of the 5, knocking the 6 holer away from the pocket, does everyone let your ball alone out of courtesy on the next round? Probably not... So basically what you do is play position on the field if you can run out from say the 4 hole... Nobody pays attention to you until you're shooting at the 5 or 6 hole, right, so what the good shooters are trying to do is run out from the 3 or the 4 hole unmolested... When you make your ball in the correct hole, you do keep shooting, right... Sounds like cutthroat would be a good name for the game...:heh. Deal me in, I'll try a few games..:)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If it's 5 against 1 when a player is going for his out hole, how does he ever get out? Must have to be a 3 railer in the side... And when you sacrifice your turn for the good of the 5, knocking the 6 holer away from the pocket, does everyone let your ball alone out of courtesy on the next round? Probably not... So basically what you do is play position on the field if you can run out from say the 4 hole... Nobody pays attention to you until you're shooting at the 5 or 6 hole, right, so what the good shooters are trying to do is run out from the 3 or the 4 hole unmolested... When you make your ball in the correct hole, you do keep shooting, right... Sounds like cutthroat would be a good name for the game...:heh. Deal me in, I'll try a few games..:)

You don't punish the player for doing a good deed. (or you're sure to be hung up to dry when you need help) Hurts in a game when you're playing double on the sell out.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Thanks for posting this.
Question about this rule:
"Golf goes by the snooker rules for ball contact. So you still must hit a rail and a ball on your turn but you don't have to hit a rail after the ball. In other words, it is a legal shot to kick into the rail and then hit the ball like when trying to make it freeze against the back of a ball."

As far as I know, in snooker there is not a requirement to touch a rail when shooting at your ball. Before or after. Your rule above reads differently.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I used to play every day when i lived in Colorado. I think they have had a game going most every day for 50 years. I got pretty good and the week before i left i made a huge score. Yes its very cutthroat...lol And yes most of the time you are shooting 2-3 or 4 railers at your out hole if "helpers" are doing their jobs. After not playing for 20 years i went back and i got no help at all, sold out both games i played and they all got pissed and quit. Go figure...lol

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I used to play every day when i lived in Colorado. I think they have had a game going most every day for 50 years. I got pretty good and the week before i left i made a huge score. Yes its very cutthroat...lol And yes most of the time you are shooting 2-3 or 4 railers at your out hole if "helpers" are doing their jobs. After not playing for 20 years i went back and i got no help at all, sold out both games i played and they all got pissed and quit. Go figure...lol

I'm looking forward to trying it out, I really liked playing payball on that big table... Any tips on how to play Golf?

Thanks in advance...:)

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I'm looking forward to trying it out, I really liked playing payball on that big table... Any tips on how to play Golf?

Jeff

It all depends on the makeup of the players. If you can trust the other players because they have some experience and know what to do, you can afford to be patient and that is the right strategy.

If there is some wild cards in the game, luck will play a bigger role, and you gotta push to get there first, cause it could end at any time.

In a one on one game aggression is more valuable and easier to execute. In a game with say six players, aggression can get you in big trouble, and make you very unpopular.

It is a complicated game that seems easy, but requires some unique skills and demands you stay in the moment or pay the penalty for letting your man out.:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for posting this.
Question about this rule:
"Golf goes by the snooker rules for ball contact. So you still must hit a rail and a ball on your turn but you don't have to hit a rail after the ball. In other words, it is a legal shot to kick into the rail and then hit the ball like when trying to make it freeze against the back of a ball."

As far as I know, in snooker there is not a requirement to touch a rail when shooting at your ball. Before or after. Your rule above reads differently.

I am no snooker expert but I am pretty sure you have to hit a rail before or after contact. Otherwise when you are in the stack you can just nudge the ball and that would be legal. Instead you have to kick at the rail and then back in the stack if you choose to.

Either way, in Golf you do have to hit a rail before or after.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff

It all depends on the makeup of the players. If you can trust the other players because they have some experience and know what to do, you can afford to be patient and that is the right strategy.

If there is some wild cards in the game, luck will play a bigger role, and you gotta push to get there first, cause it could end at any time.

In a one on one game aggression is more valuable and easier to execute. In a game with say six players, aggression can get you in big trouble, and make you very unpopular.

It is a complicated game that seems easy, but requires some unique skills and demands you stay in the moment or pay the penalty for letting your man out.:)

Not that it would happen, but couldn't 3 people easily cut up the other 3 players by playing a buddy/buddy system? I'm not worried about that in a members gathering, :rolleyes: but it did cross my mind that it could happen in a hostile environment ...:heh.

Where cash is involved in a pool room, the street in me makes the hair on the back of my neck bristle up a bit..:). Playing good pool doesn't necessarily keep you in cash at the pool room, cause like Rod said, " The long green don't stay with the Green long." Gotta be thinking on your feet in the pool room, least you get trapped...

Anyway Darmoose, thanks for your insight, any more hints on strategy you might think of would certainly be welcome.. I'm looking forward to playing this game and I'm hoping to not look like a complete fool.. :D

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yea pretty much what Frank said Jeff..

Nobody wants to let someone else win so they will try to pitch and help take care of the leader when they can. Darmoose had a pretty good summary too.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Not that it would happen, but couldn't 3 people easily cut up the other 3 players by playing a buddy/buddy system? I'm not worried about that in a members gathering, :rolleyes: but it did cross my mind that it could happen in a hostile environment ...:heh.

Where cash is involved in a pool room, the street in me makes the hair on the back of my neck bristle up a bit..:). Playing good pool doesn't necessarily keep you in cash at the pool room, cause like Rod said, " The long green don't stay with the Green long." Gotta be thinking on your feet in the pool room, least you get trapped...

Anyway Darmoose, thanks for your insight, any more hints on strategy you might think of would certainly be welcome.. I'm looking forward to playing this game and I'm hoping to not look like a complete fool.. :D

Jeff

Your concerns and words ring true. All things are possible in the poolroom. Three on three in a six man game would be difficult and would have to be very subtle in order to not be very obvious. I think it would be more likely when two or three gang up on one mark.

One pocket players pick up on this game well, because so much of one pocket is about the CB. Ball positioning and CB control are prerequisites for playing Golf.

You'll love it, good luck (except when I'm playing):D

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I'm sure it could happen Jeff like any shady stuff can happen when gambling is involved but like you said I don't see that at a member's gathering, just like we didn't have it with our group of regulars ho would play it.

Here's a small tip on the strategy part for you. Let's say several people are going for the same hole and it's your shot. If you don't have a shot at your hole, sometimes you may want to lag it to a place that will put you in a better place to make it or get it close on your following shot. Because if you just lag it next to the hole by the others, someone is going to be smart and blast all of them away. If yours is slightly out of blast range you may get a good shot at your hole on the next shot.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I'm sure it could happen Jeff like any shady stuff can happen when gambling is involved but like you said I don't see that at a member's gathering, just like we didn't have it with our group of regulars ho would play it.

Here's a small tip on the strategy part for you. Let's say several people are going for the same hole and it's your shot. If you don't have a shot at your hole, sometimes you may want to lag it to a place that will put you in a better place to make it or get it close on your following shot. Because if you just lag it next to the hole by the others, someone is going to be smart and blast all of them away. If yours is slightly out of blast ran ge you may get a good shot at your hole on the next shot.

Thinking about ball placement... I wouldn't want to leave mine near any pocket unless it's tight inside the jaws because it's gonna get moved away, right? All players must be concerned about any player based on that players capabilities it would seem... If one was capable of running 3 holes and out, then all the players would be trying to prevent leaving him a shot at his 4 hole because he could get out... Unless I'm not grasping the concept, seems like needing two holes to win would be easier than being stuck on the 6 hole which is easier to defend... Ala, make it in the 5 hole and play position for the 6 hole and out...is this how most games end or is it by someone making a 1/2/3 railer into the 6 hole? Doesn't seem like you would ever get a good shot to just shoot the ball into your out hole...who would be that careless? I can see where leaving your ball mid table at times would probably be better than leaving it by the pocket your are going for as that strategy would usually allow some kind of an open shot or bank at your hole and reduce the hickey count... I think I will enjoy the game, thanks for the help...:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thinking about ball placement... I wouldn't want to leave mine near any pocket unless it's tight inside the jaws because it's gonna get moved away, right? All players must be concerned about any player based on that players capabilities it would seem... If one was capable of running 3 holes and out, then all the players would be trying to prevent leaving him a shot at his 4 hole because he could get out... Unless I'm not grasping the concept, seems like needing two holes to win would be easier than being stuck on the 6 hole which is easier to defend... Ala, make it in the 5 hole and play position for the 6 hole and out...is this how most games end or is it by someone making a 1/2/3 railer into the 6 hole? Doesn't seem like you would ever get a good shot to just shoot the ball into your out hole...who would be that careless? I can see where leaving your ball mid table at times would probably be better than leaving it by the pocket your are going for as that strategy would usually allow some kind of an open shot or bank at your hole and reduce the hickey count... I think I will enjoy the game, thanks for the help...:)

Well true kind of...I mean, when I am up, I am trying to make the ball in my hole or get ti darn close so that I can maybe make it on my next attempt. Your ball might not get slammed away every time so you want to be kind of close to get that shot. You are correct that some people may run the last 3 holes if they are playing that well, but its hard to do and it doesn't happen "often". Keep in ind that going from the 4 to the 5 hole, it spots at the other end of the table. So you either have to make the ball in the 4 hole and go the length of the table to get to the 5 ball spot or you will most likely be banking your ball at the 5 hole. And if it's the latter, your CB is going to be down by the D and if you make the bank at the 5 hole, your ball spots where the 6 ball spots so you will have to try to bank it 1 rail in the side or 3 rails in the side or whatever you decide is best.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

We had a great ring golf game on the 6 x 12 in Bellflower for years. Four to six knowledgeable players that played the game right. We played anywhere from $20/2 to $50/5 until a few players started doing business and ruined the game. There was still heads up action but it killed the ring games.

Then we also played more liability snooker, which is designed to offset any business since you are only responsible for yourself and your mistakes cost you and not everyone else in the game.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

Practice long rail kicks and different type banks in the side holes. 3 hole is usually the one you get stuck on

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

I stayed there around two weeks in the early 80's, great golf town. Beat everyone except Sam Jones and Danny Medina. Sid was on vacation but they told me he could play well. Beat a guy named Gordon out of $6/700 first day at Family Fun Center. After the regulars saw I could play they told me not to worry about playing him anymore, they hammered it good. Sam and I put up $1,000 and played $100/10 til the room closed and he almost won it all but I made a late comeback and lost around $500. I left Danny alone, he was a monster at all games.