Gormet Pool Room Food

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Anyone else remember Stewart's Infrared Red Ovens. I must have eaten hundreds of cheese dogs, chili cheese dogs and poor boy sandwiches in the mid 50's to early 60's hanging around a couple of the pool rooms where I grew up.

Attachments

• stewarts.jpg
    stewarts.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 0

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Anyone else remember Stewart's Infrared Red Ovens. I must have eaten hundreds of cheese dogs, chili cheese dogs and poor boy sandwiches in the mid 50's to early 60's hanging around a couple of the pool rooms where I grew up.

In the 70's an young Arab prince and his entourage would rent a floor in a hotel in the Galleria. One of the body guards told me the hotel laid out spreads of lamb and so forth for the troupe. When they came to the pool room they ate all the Hamburgers and chili dogs that were in stock, from a machine like that.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
In the 70's an young Arab prince and his entourage would rent a floor in a hotel in the Galleria. One of the body guards told me the hotel laid out spreads of lamb and so forth for the troupe. When they came to the pool room they ate all the Hamburgers and chili dogs that were in stock, from a machine like that.

Yep,
I remember having the record at Bucks Beer Barrel during my all to brief history of employment there, I ate an even dozen chili and cheese dogs right outta that same machine... :)

On the counter over just a bit was a jar of red hots ( pickled wieners ) and a big jar of pickled pigs feet...

I tried the red hot, but couldn't ever pull the trigger on the pigs feet...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yep,
I remember having the record at Bucks Beer Barrel during my all to brief history of employment there, I ate an even dozen chili and cheese dogs right outta that same machine... :)

On the counter over just a bit was a jar of red hots ( pickled wieners ) and a big jar of pickled pigs feet...

I tried the red hot, but couldn't ever pull the trigger on the pigs feet...

When I hear the term "pigs feet" all I can think of is Eliott Spitzer. :heh

http://nypost.com/2014/01/06/spitzer-and-lis-smith-caught-in-topless-hot-tub-antics/

RedCard

Verified Member
Stewart

Stewart

I remember those things. The food, often a purported ham & cheese for me, was in a plastic wrap and you had to err on the side of leaving it in too long or it'd remain cool in the middle. Big steam puff when tearing into the plastic. I guess affordable microwaves did them in.

Looking back on it, I'd have to think I was awful hungry because I remember the food as not too bad, which it probably was.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm surprised that a Stewart's Oven hasn't turned up on one of those restoration TV shows.:D

But y'all actually ate that stuff sober? I'd have to have half a heat on to worry enough about passing out in order to eat one of those things. The burrito would give you heartburn for 3-4 days! 'Course the booze might have had something to do with it....:(

~Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

I think you miss these dee lis ous sandwiches. This is the second thread you have started about these babies.
I still have scars on my fingers from picking up one of those cheese embedded things and I can still feel the pain in my mouth from trying to eat them before they turned cold and into plastic.
Aw yes, the " good ole days" when men were men and so were the women.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member

All the poolrooms in Baltimore had Stewart's ovens . remember I'm always good for a hotdog or two. The older we get the memories come back. They were tasty.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
All the poolrooms in Baltimore had Stewart's ovens . remember I'm always good for a hotdog or two. The older we get the memories come back. They were tasty.

Yes, they were Ok. Later on I sold the ones that just went in the microwave. They were also good, but I don't think it was Stewarts. Can't remember. Early 80's.. . They let you keep 25%. I ran them off the books, so I would add sales tax and keep all of that also. They traded out all the old at no charges to you, which was the clincher for me to keep them. They made a pretty good small burger with a tiny amount of diced onions on there. Not enough to fill up a teaspoon, but it was good. And I remember they made a great turkey sub that cost me one dollar wholesale. I ate a ton of those on the job. One of those, a Mt. Dew and a small bag of chips, and a vitamin pill, and I could work like a lunatic all day long. If I was ravenous, I might even rip open a can of Weanie Bennies, with a pull top opener, and eat them with a white plastic spoon,, but that was really splurging, which I didn't like to do. Weighed me down too..

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I never of these things. Maybe before my time.

SW Utah, family and I stayed in a 6 bedroom Hilltop Home, and there was a gas station....down the hill...if you wanted a burger or hotdog, you took it out of the frig. already thawed and shaped, put it on the conveyor belt and while doing it's rotation, ya get your soda/chips....pay for it and by that time that's done it was cooked and ready to garnish.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I loved the 25 cent pizzas that they sold, I must have eaten a 1000 of them playing cards at the pool room.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I loved the 25 cent pizzas that they sold, I must have eaten a 1000 of them playing cards at the pool room.

When fatty died, the floozie, as Evelyn called the younger woman....in TN that was supposedly married to FATS/NOT, called to let Ev know he'd passed on. Ev asked what did he have written on his Tombstone, well the fluzzie hesitated toooooooooooo long and Evelyn said ''Pepperoni & Cheese''. We had a good laugh when she told me that one, it was during the Tombstone Pizza commercial heyday.