Grady-Henderson

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
I didn't get to watch the match but my son saw part of it and he said Grady looked like he was sick. He said it broke his heart to watch Grady struggling. If you read this Grady I hope you are in good health and thank you for all you have done for this great game of ours:)

timdog24

Verified Member
blackeee said:
I didn't get to watch the match but my son saw part of it and he said Grady looked like he was sick. He said it broke his heart to watch Grady struggling. If you read this Grady I hope you are in good health and thank you for all you have done for this great game of ours:)

LOL. When a player plays bad he's sick? This match was set up over a month ago. If he was sick I'm sure they would have rescheduled. He might have looked sick by his shot selection, which was questionable to say the least. How 'bout John out-played Grady. Nice shootin' John.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
timdog24 said:
LOL. When a player plays bad he's sick? This match was set up over a month ago. If he was sick I'm sure they would have rescheduled. He might have looked sick by his shot selection, which was questionable to say the least. How 'bout John out-played Grady. Nice shootin' John.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he has a upset stomach.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
john played well and deserved to win. but grady did not seem "right" those that were there and could talk to him and observe him would know better. as a legend of pool and one pocket and all hes done to promote our sport it was sad to see what father time has done.as a youngin(relatively speaking 57) im just showing my repect for grady.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
lll said:
john played well and deserved to win. but grady did not seem "right" those that were there and could talk to him and observe him would know better. as a legend of pool and one pocket and all hes done to promote our sport it was sad to see what father time has done.as a youngin(relatively speaking 57) im just showing my repect for grady.
Larry, 57 ain't that young.:D Jokes aside, no one has done more for one-pocket, and has consistently played 1P at a higher level over the years than Grady Matthews. And he's known to handle himself with a lot of class. When two old war horses have a contest, it's a good time for the young guys to step back and observe how to apply respect and good manners.

Doc

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
Hi

Hi

I think Grady's loss to John means pure and simple father time has took its toll and that's that !!

Grady is a legend and one loss will never change that fact to those of us that watched him play in his prime . He always reminded me of a professor who could teach the theory of relativity or something , because he just never looked like a pool player and I bet that helped him get a lot of games early in his career .

I'm sure John is happy as can be playing well now that he has beaten two legends Grady & Artie !! I give the guy a lot of credit since he is older and still plugging away and enjoying life to the fullest !

Babe Ruth stopped hitting homer too !!

He is still talked about today and that will be the same for GRADY .

Race Track Phil

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Yeah, it's always a bit sad to see a legend playing below their peak performance because age has caught up with them, but as long as they're having fun and still kicking (pun intended), that should be what counts. I grew up watching Jordan play in Chicago, and I remember how it felt watching him play for the Wizards after he came back out of retirement for the second time. Sad to see him playing closer to a mere mortal, but he won't be remembered for his time with the Wizards, but rather his time with the Bulls when he was on top. And so, we'll remember greats like Grady and Ronnie for their peaks, and not for their performance at the later stages of their lives.

Again, congrats to John on playing well, and staying focused. All I want to know now is who's next on the One Pocket HoF hit list for John now that he's taken down two of its members? Ed Kelly, Billy, Danny Di?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
lll said:
I made the trip from Los Angeles to watch this match, mainly to visit with my old time buddy John Henderson, who played very well.
I believe that Grady's medical condition greatly affected his play. One pocket is a very demanding game that requires patience and very solid mechanics. It appeared to me that on many shots Grady pulled the trigger much quicker than he should have. In my opinion I believe his condition did not allow him to get properly set for many of the shots.

One pockets demands that on many shots the execution has to be perfect with the correct speed and touch. I find it had to believe that one could consistently do this without taking the necessary time to prepare mentally and to apply the focus needed.

I admire Grady for his heart and fortitude for challenging John Henderson to play this match. I admire him for the confidence he has in himself. I admire him for all that he has done for our great game. He will be always be remembered for his love of our game and how great he was at it. Grady, My hat's off to you. Father time plays no favorites and may you always know that you will always be admired by your many fans, such as myself.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Frank Almanza said:
I made the trip from Los Angeles to watch this match, mainly to visit with my old time buddy John Henderson, who played very well.
I believe that Grady's medical condition greatly affected his play. One pocket is a very demanding game that requires patience and very solid mechanics. It appeared to me that on many shots Grady pulled the trigger much quicker than he should have. In my opinion I believe his condition did not allow him to get properly set for many of the shots.

One pockets demands that on many shots the execution has to be perfect with the correct speed and touch. I find it had to believe that one could consistently do this without taking the necessary time to prepare mentally and to apply the focus needed.

I admire Grady for his heart and fortitude for challenging John Henderson to play this match. I admire him for the confidence he has in himself. I admire him for all that he has done for our great game. He will be always be remembered for his love of our game and how great he was at it. Grady, My hat's off to you. Father time plays no favorites and may you always know that you will always be admired by your many fans, such as myself.

Good to see you again Frank, and our chat was too short. Turned around, and you and John had gone to eat. I had to get home.

You are right, no reflection on John, but Grady was not there at all. Never saw him so agitated, and ill at ease. Hope he's doing better at home.

See you next time.

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
SJDinPHX said:
Good to see you again Frank, and our chat was too short. Turned around, and you and John had gone to eat. I had to get home.

You are right, no reflection on John, but Grady was not there at all. Never saw him so agitated, and ill at ease. Hope he's doing better at home.

See you next time.
It was certainly a pleasure chatting with you during the match. You were involved with the match with Lenny when we went to eat. We didn't want to disturb you while playing and it looked that you were in for a lengthly session. Next time we need to get together for a dinner and some conversation. Take care.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I saw John Hendy Hill TWICE on Grady, and Grady had that big fat set of nuts to keep him in. I could see Grady was uncomfortable from watching the Cueball and his motions.

Grady must have had(excuse my candid typing) possibly a stroke and some hip/leg problems. I never saw him comfortable at the table, and some of his moving was riddled with scratches, safety leaks, etc. His bridge arm showed signs of poblems, held near his chest, and he was limping rather hard.

He fought a hard PHYSICAL battle, and struggled in the game accordingly. He missed many shots I figured were 95% make or better as well.

I'm sure John, the gentleman he is, will allow a rematch when either Grady improves healthwise or becomes more adapted to his condition.

Grady, if you are reading this, it absolutely broke me down to see what a struggle you stuck through. My heart goes out to you, and it just shows courage and nuts that you hung in there.

That said, John seems to play well, and appeared to be 'in it' from the beginning. He played well enough to win, and congrats. Some shot-making errors, but good overall.

I must interject my personal opinion, I would stake a healthy Grady to play John.

Hang in there Grady. I feel I speak for many when I say this, we love you and wish you the best. Thank you for all you have done.

timdog24 said:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
@ Timdog.

Grady's shot selection was right for a player of his calibre. His execution, control, and accuracy were WAY off. That is due to his physical discomfort.

So, you saw the match and didn't see any signs of physical ailments affecting Grady? You obviously lack the one thing ANY decent player MUST posess. The ability to detect weaknesses in your opponent.

Open your eyes and LOOK ...BEFORE you ""Think before you speak"...

Perhaps if we shall ever meet, I could show you how to properly execute his selected shots, which you seem not to understand.

......Newfosgatesucks......(But not as bad as TimDog.)

Deeman

Verified Member
Both men are great champions. Everyone loses a step over time but many of us never, ever have it. :)

Grady will be beating most of us again in the near future and we'll forget we ever questioned one of his matches. Great shooting John! In a world of nits, both of them continue to put it up time and again. What else can you say?

Both deserve much respect but neither man ever has to lean on an excuse.

DeeMan

timdog24

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:
@ Timdog.

Grady's shot selection was right for a player of his calibre. His execution, control, and accuracy were WAY off. That is due to his physical discomfort.

So, you saw the match and didn't see any signs of physical ailments affecting Grady? You obviously lack the one thing ANY decent player MUST posess. The ability to detect weaknesses in your opponent.

Open your eyes and LOOK ...BEFORE you ""Think before you speak"...

Perhaps if we shall ever meet, I could show you how to properly execute his selected shots, which you seem not to understand.

......Newfosgatesucks......(But not as bad as TimDog.)

I watched the majority of the ahead set on a very small screen and wasn't 100% into the match, so I really did not notice any of Grady's ailments. If this is the case then I feel bad about my earlier comments and I apologize. I'm not sure why he would play under those conditions. I guess I'm not a decent player for not detecting Grady's weaknesses. I'm young and learning, but I will DEFINITELY play you some one pocket and would look forward to you showing me how to "properly execute his selected shots". I live in NYC and would LOVE to learn...

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
To keep things 'Gentleman-like' I request your Phone number for text purposes. I have prepared a picture which includes my 'Liesure' Roll, my screen name, and a photo of what I look like if you happen to be in the west TN area.

Also, I refuse to publically speak further to you regarding this. We can handle whatever, however, and keep the forum somewhat clean in this manner.

I have no need, or desire, to travel.

I stick to my guns - If you had paid enough attention to the match to label Grady's moving wrong, and his shot selection solidly incorrect, you would have noticed his physical limitations. I solidly stand my ground there, and from the looks of your post I can see you watched on a small screen, didn't pay attention....But you have the somewhat wisdom-drenched stance that Grady can't properly choose a shot...

PM me a text number.

timdog24 said:
I watched the majority of the ahead set on a very small screen and wasn't 100% into the match, so I really did not notice any of Grady's ailments. If this is the case then I feel bad about my earlier comments and I apologize. I'm not sure why he would play under those conditions. I guess I'm not a decent player for not detecting Grady's weaknesses. I'm young and learning, but I will DEFINITELY play you some one pocket and would look forward to you showing me how to "properly execute his selected shots". I live in NYC and would LOVE to learn...

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
John,
Congratulations on a hard fought victory! I had not had the pleasure of ever having seen you display your very obvious pool talents before this match with Grady. And to be honest, I picked Grady to win and was pulling for him. He's one of my all time pool heros. But you have earned much respect from several of us who never knew your true speed. Again, congrats, Sir!

Grady,
You're STILL a legendary champion and "ever thus shall it be!" One defeat late in your career does nothing to tarnish your great accomplishments. I'm looking forward to rooting for you in future matches. It gives young :)D ) guys like me (51) hope when I see two rugged road warriors still plying their trade at your ages! My very best to you!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Terry Ardeno said:
John,
Congratulations on a hard fought victory! I had not had the pleasure of ever having seen you display your very obvious pool talents before this match with Grady. And to be honest, I picked Grady to win and was pulling for him. He's one of my all time pool heros. But you have earned much respect from several of us who never knew your true speed. Again, congrats, Sir!

Grady,
You're STILL a legendary champion and "ever thus shall it be!" One defeat late in your career does nothing to tarnish your great accomplishments. I'm looking forward to rooting for you in future matches. It gives young :)D ) guys like me (51) hope when I see two rugged road warriors still plying their trade at your ages! My very best to you!

Thank you Terry. In the 70's, when I was playing the best pool of my life, Grady gave me 8/6 and won, playing at my home room. In fact, in our matchups over the years, this is the first time I have won. I have no illusions about who is the best one pocket player. He beat me playing heads up golf on a 6 x 12 in Bellflower. I always thought that was my best game and not many beat me on my pet table. Grady did.

Age has been kind to me and my pool game and I'll keep matching up as long as I can compete and enjoy myself and I'm sure Grady will do the same. This was just one session and I hope we both can continue playing for a long time to come.