Grady's Twist Bank!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That's a great shot that few of us ever even consider. Grady had million of them.

One thing he said about transfer of spin (collision induced spin)-- I believe Pat Johnson mentioned that the maximum amount of spin transfer with stun would be a half ball hit. I'm not positive about that. It's pretty easy to find out at the table.

~Doc

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

John Brumback has that shot on both his DVDs. It's one of that messes
with other folks's heads. :heh

hank

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Tried that shot several times without much luck. I'm guessing the shot is more makeable on a Crown-- or on something other than a Diamond. I think Grady's tapes were all on Crowns. Haven't seen Brumback's version. He usually does play on a Diamond though.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
2 Rail Bank Shot

2 Rail Bank Shot

Tried that shot several times without much luck. I'm guessing the shot is more makeable on a Crown-- or on something other than a Diamond. I think Grady's tapes were all on Crowns. Haven't seen Brumback's version. He usually does play on a Diamond though.

~Doc

Doc, that table is Before the GC's, that table has drop leather pockets. My thiking, the rail noses might of been flatter on those earlier tables often found in bowling alleys around Chicago burbs. It would make sense that a flatter nose or rail surface, would be able to grab the spin more, especially with the old thick, nappy cloth before Simonis then add humidity and dirt.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

Just checked the Brumback dvd, he's shooting on a GC. Copyright
is 2011 for earliest of the 2.

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DM6cUYyNjedVUCGH8 click on video to get sound and box to enlarge.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. I still used the stroke of slightly coming down on the cb to get the twist. So I am angled down on the cb w/ one tip below center and one tip of reverse.
I cleared the far corner pocket by quite a bit, and believe I would of cleared a spotted ball at the 5 diamond if I had it placed. Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DM6cUYyNjedVUCGH8 click on video to get sound and box to enlarge.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. I still used the stroke of slightly coming down on the cb to get the twist. So I am angled down on the cb w/ one tip below center and one tip of reverse.
I cleared the far corner pocket by quite a bit, and believe I would of cleared a spotted ball at the 5 diamond if I had it placed. Whitey
Nice shot, bro. I'll try it your way...

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

You always make it appear to be so easy. :lol
Thanks for your efforts. I'm still struggling and
practicing, am making small progress. But,
progress is progress. Better some then none.

Thanks for these videos, they do help with understanding.

hank

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Grady's Twist Bank!

Nice shot whitey!!! Shame nobody here exceptin’ us GOPHERS would shoot it!! 😂😂. Love it.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I lost $200 to Grady in the 70’s on this shot. I bet him he could not make 6 of 10 tries. He made the first 5 in a row. Then I took the heat and added to his bankroll playing him some one pocket 8/6.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I lost $200 to Grady in the 70’s on this shot. I bet him he could not make 6 of 10 tries. He made the first 5 in a row. Then I took the heat and added to his bankroll playing him some one pocket 8/6.
Cole Dickson also was well known for this shot and someone caught it on video when Cole made his one (I think only one) appearance at DCC -- just a few years before he died.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I think the shot Cole was noted for was a little different. The object ball was a little off the rail and he would cut it at warp speed and make it one rail.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think the shot Cole was noted for was a little different. The object ball was a little off the rail and he would cut it at warp speed and make it one rail.
Yeah here's a vid of Cole doing two of them. The "Dixie Whistler". As you know, the shot has become fairly standard now.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I was skeptical of Grady's comment stating; "there is 80% probability of making this bank"! Now I believe it! John, you probably made that bet with Grady way before he started making videos.
I had a shot I would do for money, and that was a wing shot on a snooker table. Of course you can not roll the ob close to the pocket, you would never get a bet on that. So I would proposition rolling the ob on the far side of the center spot.
thanks for the post! Whitey