Great Kick Shot by Dr. Bill!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
This kick shot is indicative of Billy's play through out this match. I viewed this entire match and it is great watching a true master. As I am watching this match, I realize I am viewing old school mastery at it finest. This is how to play OP. Not many players of today could of stood up to Billy's mastery on this day!
I am not able to pull up the full match. Grady vs. Incardona '94 US Open One Pocket match, so if any one can add a link, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
hit it like a champ ~

See how he started walking to shake the guys hand right after he hit it?

When you know...you know... :)

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whity, & Sappo, Howdy;

Thanks for saving this and posting it.
Great to see some great players goin' at it.
Yup, the whole thing showed, Nice way to spend the evenin'.

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hi Hank, I re-watched this match again, and there are a lot of great banks, and kicks. At 1:11 Grady is in a very tough spot, but kicks out of it. It seems he is lining up his cue along side of the ob to a point on the rail.
But this is actually a very close match that turned at times on a dime! Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hi Hank, I re-watched this match again, and there are a lot of great banks, and kicks. At 1:11 Grady is in a very tough spot, but kicks out of it. It seems he is lining up his cue along side of the ob to a point on the rail.
Grady had a hundred systems he used. He shows a lot of them on his tapes. I guess that's why he was call "The Professor". That, and his penchant for highfalutin language. Fascinating guy.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Looked to me he extended the pocket/ object ball line to the rail

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Looked to me he extended the pocket/ object ball line to the rail
Since the this bank forum is now open up for kicks also, I am now going to work on them, and of course going to see what Grady used on that kick.
I was thinking Tom would be a great one to participate in Kicks, for he probably has excellent videos of various kick shots. Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Since the this bank forum is now open up for kicks also, I am now going to work on them, and of course going to see what Grady used on that kick.
I was thinking Tom would be a great one to participate in Kicks, for he probably has excellent videos of various kick shots. Whitey
If you notice it just so happened that the object ball /pocket line was at the 2nd diamond
the cue ball was at diamond 4
perfect 2:1 bank/ kick

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I'd just like to point out that this match is a proper orchestrated match. In that the players know how to properly conduct themselves. They shoot, they sit down, they put their own balls in their collective area, the outgoing player always spots the balls, they put up their own coins, a neutral ball is retrieved by the incoming player and handed to the outgoing player to spot who is standing there waiting to get the ball and to spot it.

This is why I have pushed so hard for these conduct rules (the player's role) to be within our rules, for it just makes the match so much more enjoyable to watch.
Notice it is rack your own, and a ball made on the break would count. I believe this is how it was played. Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Also, Ghost seems to have the reputation as a good kick shooter. Maybe he might share some of his methods.

Actually most good kickers and bankers seem to do it simply by feel.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
At around 14:10 Billy hits a great bank i never saw to close out the first game. I'm going to have to practice that one.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I believe those were Kim Steel tables-- thought to be the best table before Diamond came along and revolutionized the design. We had them at Skeeters in Gulfport for many years. The pockets were fairly forgiving, and had shallow shelves. In fact I always thought that those tables would be better for bank pool than for one-pocket, owing to the slightly easier pockets. Plus they banked more like a GC. 'Course down here everything banks short due to the high humidity...:rolleyes: