Hey Freddy how is the Protégé?

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Freddy -

Nice to see ya posting again.

I think your protégé, Jett (?) went down to Cincy a few months ago, and played and got beat. Has there been any rematches?

Who else do you train or work with?

Are there any good, really good guys coming along in Chicago? I know here, there are alot of good bankers in Paducah. In Louisville, Truman Hogue and Brian Roberts seem to have at least quarterly BANK tournaments with excellent turn outs. I have had friends from Cincy come down to Louisville, and several from the entire state of Kentucky.

How often do they have good tournaments in the Windy city? Is banks still growing there?

Ken

John Brumback

Verified Member
Ken_4fun said:
Freddy -

I think your protégé, Jett (?) went down to Cincy a few months ago, and played and got beat. Has there been any rematches?

Are there any good, really good guys coming along in Chicago? I know here, there are alot of good bankers in Paducah. In Louisville, Truman Hogue and Brian Roberts seem to have at least quarterly BANK tournaments with excellent turn outs. I have had friends from Cincy come down to Louisville, and several from the entire state of Kentucky.

How often do they have good tournaments in the Windy city? Is banks still growing there?

Ken

That's some good ?s I'm looking forward to these answers too. Boy thoses tournys of Truman's are really doing good uh.Oh,Glad to have you back too,Fred!! John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No rematch, yet

No rematch, yet

Ken_4fun said:
Freddy -

Ken

Jet went to Ohio and played Shannon Murphy and lost 2 out of 3 sets. He made the mistake of playing on the toughest table in Ohio. If I was with him that would not have happened. He also got outmanaged by Shannon's backers. Something else that wouldnt have worked had I been consulted or had been there. When you are on the road you do not, if you can help it, play on the toughest table in the joint.

There have been no rematches. With an open invitation, no one has indicated that they would come up and play at Red Shoes, including Shannon Murphy. Another even better reason there has been no further action is that Jet is being treated for lung cancer. The doctors say that it is supposedly treatable. He has finished a series of chemo and radiation to shrink the growth and an operation to remove it is upcoming. He was fortunate in that it was discovered very early.

Whether that also had anything to do with his loss at Ohio is up for speculation.

He showed his big heart by playing in the bank tourn at Red Shoes last week after all those treatments and coming in third behind John Zaksas and Piggy Banks, and finishing ahead of Jeff Carter.

There is a girl from Decatur IL that I have worked with, Jeannie Vogelsang. She has responded by winning a state championship and various other tourn victories.

They have a serious bank tourn here every couple of months.

Beard
Am seeking another protege, but I am very fussy and dont see one forthcoming on the immediate horizon.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ken_4fun said:
Freddy -

Ken

Hey Ken, quick story...

I don't think anybody outside of the Louisville area knows of Brian Roberts at all...that said...

About 9 years ago at the DCC, I drew Brian in about the 5th round of the One Pocket division...I didn't know him at all, or know of him, but realized quickly that he played good...well, we had a real tough, close-fought match and went to hill-hill in games, and 4-4 in balls in the hill game - the last 7 balls were up-table...after a few innings, with the balls still all up-table, I played a safety, leaving Brian 1" off the foot rail...well he then jacked up, and lasered in a straight back bank 100 mph, Truman-style, that was barely makeable, got behind a ball, and ran out on me..:eek:...he's a nice guy to play with though, and we both enjoyed and respected playing each other - we both said that if we lived in the same area, we'd play each other regularly...

I found out later from guys that I know, how strong his all-around game, and particularly his bank game is.

PS, I was happy to see Brian jacking up to shoot the bank :) until he made it...:(

- Ghost

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Of all the people I have ever met since I have been around the strange world we call pool, Brian Roberts is the nicest and best person I have ever met.

Think about that,

ken

hitnandpikn

Verified Member
sorry to hear about Jet.I have played him several times with a spot and not liked the game ,yet loved the experience.If he battles as hard at the cancer as he does on the table I like his chances.As for Jeannie, she is the best. Played at the Pastime Club in Peoria when we were young. Mark says hi. My first encounter with one pocket was in around 83 on the fourth floor of the Chicago Mart Plaza. There was an after hours match between two players not in the tournament. At first I thought the players couldn't play ,but the longer I watched the more I realized what I was watching.Turned out to be The Beard playing Watusi , the tallest player I have seen.Don't know the results of that one ,I couldn't make it to the end but certainly realized that The Beard had game!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hitnandpikn said:
sorry to hear about Jet.I have played him several times with a spot and not liked the game ,yet loved the experience.If he battles as hard at the cancer as he does on the table I like his chances.As for Jeannie, she is the best. Played at the Pastime Club in Peoria when we were young. Mark says hi. My first encounter with one pocket was in around 83 on the fourth floor of the Chicago Mart Plaza. There was an after hours match between two players not in the tournament. At first I thought the players couldn't play ,but the longer I watched the more I realized what I was watching.Turned out to be The Beard playing Watusi , the tallest player I have seen.Don't know the results of that one ,I couldn't make it to the end but certainly realized that The Beard had game!
Hey Freddy,
do you remember that one???

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Naw...

Naw...

lll said:
Hey Freddy,
do you remember that one???

I have played Watusi too many times to remember one match. I do remember that I used to give him monster spots for big money, like 9 to 8 two out of three breaks and his scratches didnt count. Today, he is still at Red Shoes and we now play even.

Beard

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
Ken_4fun said:
Of all the people I have ever met since I have been around the strange world we call pool, Brian Roberts is the nicest and best person I have ever met.

Think about that,

ken
I was playing Brian Roberts some banks a few years back, i broke em and ran 7, and thought wonder how he liked that? He came to the table and banked in the remaining 8 balls. I guess he showed me how he liked it.
Brian is a great guy and a solid pool player.