Hey Freddy.....

crystal cue

Verified Member
...Have a few questions for you,it seems that every time one comes up I
would need to hijack a good thread to ask(that pisses off Cowboy Dennis),so thats why I started this one.

Was wondering what was Sugar Shacks game,speed and what was the end result for SS,was it ''natural causes'' or is he still kickin.That was a good story about him on your site.Thanks for your time. CC

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Sugar Shack Johnny Novak

Sugar Shack Johnny Novak

crystal cue said:
...Have a few questions for you,it seems that every time one comes up I
would need to hijack a good thread to ask(that pisses off Cowboy Dennis),so thats why I started this one.

Was wondering what was Sugar Shacks game,speed and what was the end result for SS,was it ''natural causes'' or is he still kickin.That was a good story about him on your site.Thanks for your time. CC

Sugar Shack played bar pool, eight ball and nine ball; his speed was a little below short stop. Johnny is 74 years old, lives in Fla., and is bench pressing 400 lbs as we speak. Talked to him the other day. Nothing has changed, he is probably still just as dangerous as ever. The fact that he is still alive is a testament to the power of miracles.

His adventures were not limited to the US. He has been in, and gotten out of, some of the most dangerous places in the world. Those episodes I was fortunate enough to avoid, as my nerves had already given out for that kind of action years before.

Beard

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Worth your while?

Worth your while?

Fred,
Have you, or would you, consider writing one more book? "Banking With The Beard" was great. "The GosPool", in my opinion, was even better. What I liked better were the stories & opinions you offered.

These little gem posts that you throw out....have you considered writing a full length book on just stories about all these guys? You could do a book replete witha chapter on every noteworthy player you've encountered. Granted, such a book with be "Tolstoy-ic" in it's size, but really, that's what the peeps are looking for. :)

Please give it some thought. It would help cement legacies for future generations to look back upon.

Either way, thanks for all that you have written. Very good stuff.

RedCard

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Fred,
Have you, or would you, consider writing one more book? "Banking With The Beard" was great. "The GosPool", in my opinion, was even better. What I liked better were the stories & opinions you offered.

These little gem posts that you throw out....have you considered writing a full length book on just stories about all these guys? You could do a book replete witha chapter on every noteworthy player you've encountered. Granted, such a book with be "Tolstoy-ic" in it's size, but really, that's what the peeps are looking for. :)

Please give it some thought. It would help cement legacies for future generations to look back upon.

Since the previous books have some pretty good accounts sprinkled in, it could be opened up to others to offer anecdotes and stories that the target readership would find interesting. I would trust Freddy to be the final arbiter on their believability and include those he deemed real. Disclaimers could be added to the borderline ones that were too damn good to outright exclude. It would be a compilation that I don't think currently exists.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Tinkin' 'bout it

Tinkin' 'bout it

Terry Ardeno said:
Fred,

Terry, been thinking about doing something like that. Fortunately for me, just about every post I made here and on AZ that told a little story about a player, I saved it in a story file on my computer. I have enough info for hundreds and hundreds of pages of old pool war stories. Just need to edit and organize. However, I have rejected the notion of adding my sexual adventures like Grady did. Much too embarrassing. Maybe I could add a proviso, "To be published only in the event of my death."

The format you mentioned, chapters on individual players is pretty much what I also had in mind.

Beard

KSager

From
Pataskala, OH
Sugar Shack

Sugar Shack

Hey Fred,

Do you have any pics of Sugar Shack? I looked around on your site and did not see any, unless I missed it. He sounds like he was something else.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No pics

No pics

KSager said:
Hey Fred,

Do you have any pics of Sugar Shack? I looked around on your site and did not see any, unless I missed it. He sounds like he was something else.

That's a good question. I havent a single pic of my old road pal. I will call him and see if he could send me a couple.

Beard

crystal cue

Verified Member
Freddy,was wondering if you know anything about a guy they called the 'Aviator' that traveled with Hayden Lingo,I know this is long ago and you may not have anything,just thought Id ask. CC

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Huh?

Huh?

crystal cue said:
Freddy,was wondering if you know anything about a guy they called the 'Aviator' that traveled with Hayden Lingo,I know this is long ago and you may not have anything,just thought Id ask. CC

How freakin old do you think I am?

Beard

There was a good player around then named Bob "Soldier" Ingersol. Dont know of any Aviator.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

There was a good player around then named Bob "Soldier" Ingersol. Dont know of any Aviator.

I believe it might of been Howard Hughes. Good stake horse. Lingo didn't get much action, as he was the best, but never gave big weight. :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
Dont know of any Aviator.

Beard

Freddie,

Your memory must be going, don't you recall the story of Wilbur & Orville taking you up at Kitty Hawk???:) :p :D .

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Squirrel got 9 to 7

Squirrel got 9 to 7

androd said:
I believe it might of been Howard Hughes. Good stake horse. Lingo didn't get much action, as he was the best, but never gave big weight. :D

Marshall Carpenter (Squirrel) when he was being inducted into the 1pkt HOF at the dinner told a very amusing story. He said when he was playing his best he went after Lingo to test himself and try to play Lingo even. But before they could match up, Lingo offered Squirrel 9 to 7! Squirrel naturally grabbed at it considering he was looking to play even to start with. Unfortunately for Squirrel, Lingo outran the nuts and broke Squirrel anyway. Squirrel said he wired for more money, hung around town for a week, and waited until Lingo was good and drunk, he knew Lingo had a booze problem and he wouldnt have to wait too long. This time he won easy, and said he even ended up dropping the spot and wound up beating him playing even.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I kinda remember...

I kinda remember...

Cowboy Dennis said:
Freddie,

Your memory must be going, don't you recall the story of Wilbur & Orville taking you up at Kitty Hawk???:) :p :D .

Dennis

...trying to get my hand up Kitty's skirt once. Is that what you're talking about?;)

Beard

I thought Orville was the popcorn guy?:confused:

crystal cue

Verified Member
androd said:

Lingo must have been a working stiff or had another source of income, to be champion caliber player and never give up much weight,if he wasnt a good lemon guy it must have been tough.Thanks CC

crystal cue

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Ok I know that was a long time ago,just checking.Lets try this again,read somewhere you matched up with Vernon Elliot,can you tell us about his bank speed and your run in with him...if it did take place. CC

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Vernon Eliot

Vernon Eliot

crystal cue said:
Ok I know that was a long time ago,just checking.Lets try this again,read somewhere you matched up with Vernon Elliot,can you tell us about his bank speed and your run in with him...if it did take place. CC

Vernon was totally undercover. However, he banked just about as good as anybody. He and I played about 4 times. I lost the first 3 outings playing even. I finally came 3 games ahead when we played even in Hot Springs AR, satisfied, I left him alone after that. We were always good friends however.

Beard

crystal cue

Verified Member
Hey Freddy,its hard to find anything on Javanley Washington,was wondering if you ever matched up with him or had any good stories about him,seems he was a 'unique' guy.Thanks CC

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Different era

Different era

crystal cue said:
Hey Freddy,its hard to find anything on Javanley "Youngblood" Washington,was wondering if you ever matched up with him or had any good stories about him,seems he was a 'unique' guy.Thanks CC

We never played until he was in his 70s, and that was just sociable pool. When he was at his best I was just a kid. I did try to play him once back then, just to say I had. I asked him to play for $5 a game -- even. He could have spotted me a couple balls but he refused anyway. He said, "I cant play you. You are an amateur, I am a professional." I was thoroughly embarrassed.
Then he gave me his card. (Really) It had his picture on it and it said Javenly Youngblood Washington, World's Greatest Negro Pool Player. With instructions on how to get hold of him. I wish I still had the card. He passed out enough of them. It would be great memorabilia.

Beard

Last edited: