How to handicap a one-pocket tournament?

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
When I suggested a handicapped one-pockety tournament to the owner of the pool hall where I play, he said he'd be glad to do it if we could come up with a decent way of doing the handicapping. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any serious attempt to help out here.

BTW, I know there is no perfect solution to this problem. We are just looking for a way to do it that would be acceptable to the majority of players who might participate.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
BillPorter said:
When I suggested a handicapped one-pockety tournament to the owner of the pool hall where I play, he said he'd be glad to do it if we could come up with a decent way of doing the handicapping. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any serious attempt to help out here.

BTW, I know there is no perfect solution to this problem. We are just looking for a way to do it that would be acceptable to the majority of players who might participate.
Her is a way if you dont have the handy caps correct. THier will be a lot of moaning but thats the way it will be. Have all the good players play each other and all the avarage players playing each other and the weeker players playing each other And the weekist players playing each other. Then make up a fair handy cap spot for the finale 4 and the will play each other and then you have the finale TWO. But have a handicap made up ahead of time for the finale four. And that will give everyone a fair chance according to thier ability. But this is just off the top off my head. And it mite not be any good. But the week players will have a chance and if you give out prize money for the finale four. IT will be a ok tournament. BUt the good players will moan because the want to play the week players first. BUt its only a made up thing. I dont expecte you to use it. BUt if you match up the good player with the good players everyone will have a chance.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Her is a way if you dont have the handy caps correct. THier will be a lot of moaning but thats the way it will be. Have all the good players play each other and all the avarage players playing each other and the weeker players playing each other And the weekist players playing each other. Then make up a fair handy cap spot for the finale 4 and the will play each other and then you have the finale TWO. But have a handicap made up ahead of time for the finale four. And that will give everyone a fair chance according to thier ability. But this is just off the top off my head. And it mite not be any good. But the week players will have a chance and if you give out prize money for the finale four. IT will be a ok tournament. BUt the good players will moan because the want to play the week players first. BUt its only a made up thing. I dont expecte you to use it. BUt if you match up the good player with the good players everyone will have a chance.
Thanks, Artie, I like the general idea. We would have FOUR classes of players from Strongest to Weakest, maybe call them A Players, B Players, C Players, and D Players. Players play WITHIN their class until just one player remains from each class. Then, for the Semi-Finals, an A Player gives maybe two balls to a B, three balls and the break to a C, and four balls to a D. Same weight to be given in the Finals. Might work.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
BillPorter said:
Thanks, Artie, I like the general idea. We would have FOUR classes of players from Strongest to Weakest, maybe call them A Players, B Players, C Players, and D Players. Players play WITHIN their class until just one player remains from each class. Then, for the Semi-Finals, an A Player gives maybe two balls to a B, three balls and the break to a C, and four balls to a D. Same weight to be given in the Finals. Might work.
I never herd of a tournament like this but it could work and mabe its worth a try. But have the handycap figured out ahead of time so thier are no surprises. And everyone knowes the rules and how it works. If you try it let me no is it worked.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I never herd of a tournament like this but it could work and mabe its worth a try. But have the handycap figured out ahead of time so thier are no surprises. And everyone knowes the rules and how it works. If you try it let me no is it worked.
Right, the handicap has to be made totally clear up front, as well as the rules. I will definitely let you know if we actually do the tournament this way. Thanks.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Or maybe . . .

Or maybe . . .

Assign a 'winning number' to each player who enters. This would be the number of balls he/she has to make to win any game they play, regardless of the opponent. For example, the top players would all be assigned 8 as their winning number, lesser players would be assigned 7 or 6 or 5, etc. When you make up your bracket, each player's winning number would be posted next to his name. It's all out in the open, and saves a lot of questions and needless calculations.

The top players, of course, would prefer you to start your system with a higher number than 8, to avoid meeting any player who can win with only 4 or 5 balls, but doing that guarantees longer matches, and that is the nightmare of every tourny director.

That's the way I would do it, anyway.

Skin

Verified Member
vapros said:
Assign a 'winning number' to each player who enters. This would be the number of balls he/she has to make to win any game they play, regardless of the opponent. For example, the top players would all be assigned 8 as their winning number, lesser players would be assigned 7 or 6 or 5, etc. When you make up your bracket, each player's winning number would be posted next to his name. It's all out in the open, and saves a lot of questions and needless calculations.

The top players, of course, would prefer you to start your system with a higher number than 8, to avoid meeting any player who can win with only 4 or 5 balls, but doing that guarantees longer matches, and that is the nightmare of every tourny director.

I think this is an excellent suggestion, even if you have two 5s playing each other. All those extra balls won't hurt anything and probably will make the match go faster. I have filed this one under "Good Ideas". ;)

Skin

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
BillPorter said:
Bill, this site has some suggested grids for 1P handicapping:

http://www.onepocket.org/Handicapgrid.htm

Tom Suarez and others have some good ideas for 1P tourny handicapping. I put on a $2500 added handicapped event in Gulfport last November. Limited it to 48 players. You can check the past posts for the particulars, under Mississippi Gulf Coast One-Pocket Shoot Out.

In my view it's important to keep it to as few handicap levels as possible. I used four-- the AA level was to keep a top pro from jumping in and stealing it. But no matter how you do it, you'll get lots of guys bitching and moaning about their handicaps.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:

Tom Suarez and others have some good ideas for 1P tourny handicapping. I put on a $2500 added handicapped event in Gulfport last November. Limited it to 48 players. You can check the past posts for the particulars, under Mississippi Gulf Coast One-Pocket Shoot Out.

In my view it's important to keep it to as few handicap levels as possible. I used four-- the AA level was to keep a top pro from jumping in and stealing it. But no matter how you do it, you'll get lots of guys bitching and moaning about their handicaps.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Doc
You beat me to this :) That link has one chart for 5 classes, and a second one with ten. If you asked me, I would agree that the five classes is plenty for a tournament, where the idea is mainly just to encourage more participation; you do not have to fully equalize the field.

The chart with ten is more suited to a league situation, that goes on week to week, and has lots of levels so you can make adjustments based on won/lost results.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
vapros said:

That sounds good to me. It is very simple and straightforward. I'll run it by the pool room owner. Thanks!

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
gulfportdoc said:

Good luck!

Doc
Thanks, Doc, I will show that chart to the pool room owner.

thedirt0115

The last tourney I played in had the following format: The pool room owner knew every player in the tournament personally, including how well they play. He assigned us all a number between 5 and 10. We had to multiply our number by 3 to get our total balls needed number and then play normal eight to eight one pocket until we hit that magic number. That sounds a little complicated, but it was really very simple.

Let's say a 5 was playing an 7. They play normal 8-8 one-pocket until the 5 has made a total of 15 balls or the 7 has made a total of 21 balls. Another example - If a 10 was playing a 6, the 10 has to make 30 balls before the 6 makes 18. Example game between the 10 and the 6: 10 wins 8-2, 6 wins 8-7, 10 wins 8-4. They're currently at a total of the 10 having 23 balls and the 6 having 13 balls. In the next game, the 10 has to make 7 balls before the 6 makes 5. That make sense?

I don't know if it's the best method, but it didn't take too long, and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Last edited:

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
BillPorter said:

I suggest you do a search for the handicap tournament Memphis Bill held at his room in Memphis {naturally} this year.

PoolSleuth

Well-Known-Member
There is a fellow in Arizona know as Preacher Ron, who does a Handicapped Tournament at Kolby’s (1) Time Each Month. Fast Lenny maybe can explain ron System for Handicapping, it is Fair, but NO WAY JOSE, (not SJD in Jose) Could I still beat Scoot Frost.