Interesting Cueing....

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Dr. Dave responded bright and early this morning with links to several of his articles. Lots of info here -

Dr. Dave Alciatore
7:30 AM (4 hours ago)
to me

Here is my reply. Feel free to quote me if you want.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
There are advantages to using inside english, especially for some people. For more info, see:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/sidespin/inside/
You are correct that a ball rolling or sliding with sidespin resulting from a hit with a perfectly horizontal cue will not swerve for all practical purposes. However, see the info and last two videos here:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/swerve/object-ball/
Also, on almost every pool shot, it is impossible to have the cue perfectly level since the back of the cue must clear the rails. Therefore, there is swerve on almost every pool shot. For more info, see the answer to the 2nd question here:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/cue/elevation/
You are correct that it is extremely difficult to attempt to use a different cue elevation on every shot to have swerve cancel squirt for the given shot speed, shot distance, amount and type of spin, and cloth conditions. However, there are methodical ways to account for everything. See:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/sidespin/aim/compensation/

Regards,
Dave

--

Dr. Dave Alciatore
PBIA Advanced Instructor
Dean, Billiard University

(970) 482-8229
DrDaveBilliards.com
DrDaveBilliardTshirts.com
BilliardUniversity.org

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
There are 2 or maybe 3 shots I use BHE on, I've never thought anything about swerve or squirt, not the reason I use it.

It's not only for inside English, I don't believe. That's probably where it's used most.

Rodney, lemme guess....
(1) short rail bank at an extreme angle?
(2) [when draw can't get you there], three rails around the table to get on top of em?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
IMO, he was just hitting the ball the way he has learned to play, with a great deal of success -- compensating for whatever swarps and swoops he has in his stroke.

So, doing the same, you can, perhaps, develop enough success to beat most of your fellow wankers. But, as his record has shown, once you get to the highest levels, maybe that approach has too many moving parts to be consistently successful.

Lou Figueroa

ok, brother lou.... (good to see you slumming around 1p.org - miss seeing you in person)

*but* what are your thoughts on TOI (I kid, I kid....). lol

😁

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rodney, lemme guess....
(1) short rail bank at an extreme angle?
(2) [when draw can't get you there], three rails around the table to get on top of em?
Your guess #1 is right on So you're 50%
#2 thin cuts and go all the way down the table for foot rail position.
P.S. Hope you and yours stay well Miller.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
ok, brother lou.... (good to see you slumming around 1p.org - miss seeing you in person)

*but* what are your thoughts on TOI (I kid, I kid....). lol

😁

Yo, Dustin, you da man -- looking forward to the renovation of your man cave so we can knock them around.

So, as to TOI, it's just marketing. No different than a Touch of Outside, a Touch of Follow, and so on and so forth. Each area of the CB has benefits if you come to learn them.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
you can stray around the horizntal center of the cueball all day long and not much bad will happen if you play well.
its when you get outside of that area that things change. and for the most part those that get out there usually didnt really need to.

so a touch of inside or outside serves a tiny purpose and thats all. and it should not cause you to miss a shot either.

a touch of outside makes more sense as on cut shots it takes away much of the throw which is why many good players miss them.

According to this, "a touch of outside makes more sense as on cut shots," the shot in this diagram can be made easily with, 'Outside' English, (9 O'clock English). Is this true?

Cutshot.jpg

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
There is a world of difference between TOI and TOO. Very different tools. CJ doesn't seem to like to admit that TOI is an aiming system, but it is, and a powerful one at that. Maybe it would be better to call it an aim adjustment method. Without doubt, though, you need to learn all of the shots so you can decide what works best for whatever you need to do.

So, as to TOI, it's just marketing. No different than a Touch of Outside, a Touch of Follow, and so on and so forth. Each area of the CB has benefits if you come to learn them.

Lou Figueroa
[/QUOTE]

lfigueroa

Verified Member
you can stray around the horizntal center of the cueball all day long and not much bad will happen if you play well.
its when you get outside of that area that things change. and for the most part those that get out there usually didnt really need to.

so a touch of inside or outside serves a tiny purpose and thats all. and it should not cause you to miss a shot either.

a touch of outside makes more sense as on cut shots it takes away much of the throw which is why many good players miss them.

IMO, one of the reasons elite players are elite is that they are conversant with more small areas on the CB than your Average Joe.

For some guys, right english will always remain hitting the CB on the right side, or draw, hitting the ball low. But others will see much more than that and use their knowledge to execute with far greater precision, particularly in terms of CB placement.

So, some guys glom on to a flake of knowledge like a TOI and think it’s special. Sure -- it does certain things. But so does everywhere else you might choose to hit whitey.

Hand-in-hand with this is the fact that elite players can choose to hit a very particular spot on the CB and have the precision of stroke to actually hit it. Many pool players cannot hit the CB with precision and consistency over a wide range of speeds so they are unable to detect the various effects and benefit.

So that’s my opinion. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Bill
you understand the generality beatle mentioned is true 99% of the time....jmho
why pick a 1% shot where you already know the answer?
Because, it's a forum, we ask and answer questions. Maybe, because of, 'generality' lesser players miss these, 1%-5% of these cut shots because they are forced to from bad, 'position' play!

Last edited: