Irma, live right now

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s 3:50 CDT, here in Baton Rouge, and I’m watching Trumpet News on YouTube from the area around Naples, Florida, where Hurricane Irma is holding court – right this minute. I will post this title in bold letters, trying to catch the attention of as many of our members as possible. This is your opportunity to see a hurricane, live, in case you have never visited one. There’s nothing like it. I will write more, as soon as I finish waving this red flag.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Well, I wasn’t able to get the journal to accept my caps, but that’s okay. Seems to be a lot of people riding out the storm in Florida and streaming with their video cameras. I must assume this will be true all over the state, making this spectacle available until the thing is over. Many, many weather reporting sites are busy ‘round the clock this week, giving us data, info, and guesses about which way Irma will go, and how hard she will blow and how much she will rain. But I’m talking about the silly people who have chosen to stand and stream rather than look for shelter and safety.

Lots of them are still in their houses – filming through windows, or from porches and patios and strolling around their yards from time to time. So far, there has been no view of the storm surge of water that we have been hearing of, so maybe that is in the offing. I don’t think Irma is still the super hurricane she was, but I know that most of the people in this country have never seen the wind blow like it’s blowing today in Florida, or comparable rain storms, and I hope they will take this chance to see it up close and without the peril.

It needs to be said – so I will say it – that people in the path of such storms are not displaying much common sense when they ignore warnings and opt to stand pat and watch the weather first hand. You can die in there, and many have and many more will in future. Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for certain areas, and the hard-headed people have been told not to call for help if they change their minds. You can call, but we’re not coming. Not now. Even worse, having guessed right and survived, they may be encouraged to do it again, and again. In this matter, two good guesses out of three is not a winning percentage. But in the meantime they are entertaining the rest of us with their video cameras; and who doesn’t have one today?

Latest indications are that Irma will follow the Gulf side of Florida and then continue overland into Georgia and Tennessee as a wet tropical storm, thus sparing, to some extent, eastern Florida and coastal areas above. This can always change. Good news for at least quite a few of our members. They may, or may not, lose power in this storm, but let’s hope they will let us know they are okay when the danger is passed. I have a sister in Lakeland who is nearly as old as I am and lives alone, as I do, and she called me just a few minutes ago to say she is in Tampa with her daughter, my niece, and they are fine so far and intend to stay right where they are. Couple of nephews also in Tampa. Current outlook is for stormy winds and a lot of rain, but they are dead in the path of Irma, and the good news could go by the boards this Sunday/Monday. They are in my thoughts. Later, folks.