John vs. Barry 7 - the end game - wwyd?

unoperro

Verified Member
Well, that’s just saying “you better not miss”.
You have to shoot the shots you think you can reasonably execute. A half ball hit usually is the most comfortable shot but Larry’s shot aiming for a miss over too thick might be better. I’ll take one swing at it and post my result
Hit it a little thin,which is safer,and play the carom off the 3.
Leave whitey back about where it is and opponent has more trouble.
Why I wouldn't advise taking a foul.

12squared

Verified Member
I'm attempting to cut the spotted ball to my pocket, but playing to overthin it. If I miss it that's cool just spot one up.

12squared

Verified Member
To keep up with you and Dennis I need to get a phone holder. And shoot better.
A friend of ours gave me a phone holder that goes around my neck to watch hands free. It's adjustable because it's made of some stiff flexible wirey stuff. I attached it to an old tripid I had laying around and it works great. The angle I'm using has it standing on one of my spectator chairs...it pretty fu to mess around with.

Hope you're well, Cory!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Barry hit/positioned his cueball perfectly...here's how it ended up >>>

P.S. And now what does John do?....I know most will probably say that John's shot now is to go off of the left side of the 12 and then back over and behind the 13...but John is shooting from dead on the rail, and his angle is definitely not flat enough to be ideal - so he better not mess up and end up letting Barry see the 12, or the 3, or leave a bank on the 13.

View attachment 431462
Good thing Barry’s not playing Whitey... 🤔

Whitey might dbl bank that 12 ball, and swing the cb around 3 rails...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
The combo on the 3 appears safe from this angle. Some might kick off the foot rail to take the 12 & CB uptable.

I think Ghost might 2-rail kick the 13. That's his road shot...:cool:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member

P.S. And now what does John do?....I know most will probably say that John's shot now is to go off of the left side of the 12 and then back over and behind the 13...but John is shooting from dead on the rail, and his angle is definitely not flat enough to be ideal - so he better not mess up and end up letting Barry see the 12, or the 3, or leave a bank on the 13.

View attachment 431462
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v72S2H4GsrCtubst8
This perspective view made me realize that the balls are set up slightly different than I previous thought. Mainly the 9 ball is farther away from the pocket, and the 13 is a little further 3/4" away from the center diamond, than I had it. I have to find where the picture was snapped from in order to locate the balls.

On this shot you would use the V-60 rule to find the path of the cb, and as I thought it would stay inside of the 13 and not contact it. I believe I have the balls set up correctly. I spent probably a good 20 minutes getting the set up to mirror image this view.

I believe the view was snapped from about 4' back from the table and 1/2 diamond to the right of center, for those that want to recreate this set up. Whitey

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member

View attachment 431462
Taking the intentional put the shooter in a better position than he would have been had Dave been his opponent and kicked into the 3ball. As you can clearly see the shooter is the clear favorite from this position needing only two balls and a fairly good move by crossing the 12ball and dropping behind the 13ball or over cutting the spot ball.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
It appears the wwyd is continuing! Well the obvious is to do the combination 9/3. I also thought this is the return shot, so was never a fan of just taking this intentional. Whitey
Where do you go with the CB Whitey ? If you play the combo to make it, it doesn't look like you can get to the correct side of the 13. So do you go in between the 13 and the 12 and lay the CB by the side pocket ?

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I'm attempting to cut the spotted ball to my pocket, but playing to overthin it. If I miss it that's cool just spot one up.
I admire this kind of sharpshooting off the rail and 8 feet away. On the other hand, I never miss a shot with my mouse, too! ;)

jtompilot

Verified Member
This perspective view made me realize that the balls are set up slightly different than I previous thought. Mainly the 9 ball is farther away from the pocket, and the 13 is a little further 3/4" away from the center diamond, than I had it. I have to find where the picture was snapped from in order to locate the balls.

On this shot you would use the V-60 rule to find the path of the cb, and as I thought it would stay inside of the 13 and not contact it. I believe I have the balls set up correctly. I spent probably a good 20 minutes getting the set up to mirror image this view.

I believe the view was snapped from about 4' back from the table and 1/2 diamond to the right of center, for those that want to recreate this set up. Whitey
The shot is much straighter than I thought. You do know you’ve lost your action🤣
My wife is going to be pissed when I tell her I have to go to Buffalo’s to shoot a few shots🤪

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
The combo on the 3 appears safe from this angle. Some might kick off the foot rail to take the 12 & CB uptable.

I think Ghost might 2-rail kick the 13. That's his road shot...:cool:
That's the shot I saw.

I also like hitting the ls of the 12 and go 4 rails with the CB to the top rail. It may require a fuller hit to beat the scratch (I can't quite gauge a scratch angle from this picture)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
The shot is much straighter than I thought. You do know you’ve lost your action🤣
My wife is going to be pissed when I tell her I have to go to Buffalo’s to shoot a few shots🤪
Good reason to get a home table!!!!
I mainly did this shot for you, and therefore I went the extra mile also to try as close as possible to get it properly set up. The question for you and I, was the combo there and not involve the 13, or how to play the combo if the 13 is involved. Hope you are able to get it set up properly, and have a good one at Buffalo's. Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member

I have to say, very good combo! And perfect position! Great execution!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
It appears the wwyd is continuing! Well the obvious is to do the combination 9/3. I also thought this is the return shot, so was never a fan of just taking this intentional. Whitey
Nice shot shooting the combination in Whitey, but sorry, what you posted above is incorrect = what was "obvious" in the actual game, and on the actual table, was that the angle was such that to shoot and make the combination, the cueball would definitely go into the 11 ball - as pilot Jim thought...

Barry studied the angle before deciding on this option, and where exactly to leave his cueball so as to leave that negative angle on the combination, as well as leaving the least good angle on the spotted ball that he could, putting his finger on the rail to memorize/lock in the best place.....and I looked closely at the angle Barry left, and confirm this actuality.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
According to this actual photo, making the combination to me, looks like the carom off the 9 ball will go, under the 13, knocking it away!

Obviously,this would depend on the speed. I would play with, 'lag' speed.

Whitey-Ghost.jpg

Last edited:

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
The setup, while not, perhaps, exact - was very close and to be complimented.
There seems to be a small variation on the angle from 5 to 9 and therefor from CB to 9 for the combo. We all know minute variations can make for big differences.

As Ghost was the only one who actually saw the layout; there is little reason to argue his point.

The end result of this, seems to me, to be exactly what was intended. To stimulate discussion, ideas, learning.
There are limitations to performing these kind of evaluations from pictures and we all understand that.

Thanks to Ghost for keeping us occupied and furthering my knowledge.
Thank you to Whitey for all the work you put in to engage and contribute so much.

Regards,
-B