John vs. Barry 8 - wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Barry's shot, he's in a tough situation again, but he is ahead in the score 6-4, both going to 8 --- his pocket is at the top right --- not a whole lot of choices here --- the 5ball is not frozen to the foot rail --- the 1ball blocks the 8 from being pocketed --- wwyd >>>

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
Lightly come off the 12, triple hiding the QB. Or just bank the 12 pocket speed.

I kinda like one rail the 8 into the 5 following the QB to the foot rail.

Can I call a time extension?

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Lightly come off the 12, triple hiding the QB. Or just bank the 12 pocket speed.

I kinda like one rail the 8 into the 5 following the QB to the foot rail.

Can I call a time extension?
You only get one pick, not three...you're supposed to leave some shots for the other patients of this asylum to choose 🤪

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
just cut the 8 in and be done with it. dont say it doesnt go as it does.

if you cant or wont, hit it into the thin left side of the 1 ball hard and draw cue back to the rail. 8 ball 3 rails or so and gets out of play for his runout possibilities. and if you hit it badly it banks to your hole and the 1 goes up table.

sappo

Verified Member
I like coming softly off he 12 and leaving him close to the top rail. Looking for something better next inning. K

catkins

Verified Member
THe only thing I like is to shoot the 8 ball two rails and follow the cue ball down leaving the cue ball below the second diamond

mr3cushion

Verified Member
It looks like if one were to roll up on the 12 ball, a free shot is available.

A player could just shoot the 8 ball into the long cushion, then into the 5 ball and, 'double kiss' it into the pocket or hang it. Even if the 5 isn't frozen, if hit correctly, it can kiss.

Stop the CB right there.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Seems like the best place to be safe is behind that 5. The follow is touchy, but a good eye on it should allow for success.
John v Barry VIII.png

lll

Verified Member
THe only thing I like is to shoot the 8 ball two rails and follow the cue ball down leaving the cue ball below the second diamond
i would be nervous leaving the cue ball within a diamond or two of the 5 as the kick to make the 5 is very inviting
and/or banking the 11 in to it
banking the 11 will probably leave you the your repositioned 8 ball but the cue ball will end near the head rail and the 5 and 11 will be near my pocket if i dont make the 5
so i dont think you go after the 9
icbw
jmho
same critique for sorackems shot
if you dont leave me on the 5 or blocking the side rail for the kick
makes the kick inviting
disclaimer if the 5 is FROZE the kick is tougher so i would have to think about it
but since the 5 is so close a soft bump should work
jmho
icbw

Kybanks

Verified Member
I'm shooting the 8 ball into the 1 ball. If you aim to pocket the 8 ball in his corner it should catch the good side of the 1 ball and move some things around. Pinch draw the cb and park it left of the 12 ball.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I think I would just roll off the 12 to the left side , close to the middle diamond and leave him a line of balls that don't go My next shot will probably not be as tough as this one.
I like sorackems shot, but 65 years of playing tells me I am not getting behind that 5 I will be short off the rail and leave him straight in, if its not too far off the rail Whiteys jacked up shot could get me long enough, but I lose control of the cueball speed on that shot.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
The 12ball straight back with inside to kill whitey could be good, but only if the 12 ends up right in front of the pocket (or pocketed). I can reach the shot, but I wouldn't shoot it if I had to use the rake.

I'd take a good look at shooting the 8ball into the right side of the 1ball, caroming the 8 toward my pocket, and banking the 1 off the long rail. The CB should be drawn toward the upper left corner, leaving only a blood tester on the 11.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
i dont like much, but the first thing I liked is what whitey and kybanks suggested 8 into the left side of 1, draw to head rail, move both the balls toward your side, leave him long on the 11.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
it doesnt look like you can get there with the CB....1 ball is in the way too much...
That puzzles me, Cincy. The CB can be made to follow that 8 exactly straight, and minute adjustments to contact can allow the CB to take just about any line you want. Seems like there's a ton of room to catch the left-side rail to make that hit.
I'd hope to hit it like shown where the 5 would bounce an inch off the rail leaving CB right at the jaws of his pocket. - like I say; it is touchy.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
That puzzles me, Cincy. The CB can be made to follow that 8 exactly straight, and minute adjustments to contact can allow the CB to take just about any line you want. Seems like there's a ton of room to catch the left-side rail to make that hit.
I'd hope to hit it like shown where the 5 would bounce an inch off the rail leaving CB right at the jaws of his pocket. - like I say; it is touchy.
if you look at the line you drew for the CB to follow, if it hits that long rail around where you diagrammed, you are going to have to have a ton of RHE to spin down that far to hit the 5, otherwise, it looks to me that the CB hits the foot rail past the 5...again i could be seeing it wrong, pics can be tricky :)

Also, when the CB is that close to the 8, its hard to get a lot of good follow on it (for me anyways) without double hitting the CB.