John vs. Barry 8 - wwyd?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
if you look at the line you drew for the CB to follow, if it hits that long rail around where you diagrammed, you are going to have to have a ton of RHE to spin down that far to hit the 5, otherwise, it looks to me that the CB hits the foot rail past the 5...again i could be seeing it wrong, pics can be tricky :)

Also, when the CB is that close to the 8, its hard to get a lot of good follow on it (for me anyways) without double hitting the CB.
Ghost provided 3 views. Here are lines draw thru the centers of the CB and 8 ball, they all cross different points on the cushions.

I'm trying to figure out if the, 'camera angles' are producing different results. Anyone have an idea?

G&P001d.jpgG&P002d.jpgG&P002d.jpgG&P003d.jpg at different

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
i would be nervous leaving the cue ball within a diamond or two of the 5 as the kick to make the 5 is very inviting
and/or banking the 11 in to it - disclaimer if the 5 is FROZE the kick is tougher so i would have to think about it
My opening post >>>

Barry's shot, he's in a tough situation again, but he is ahead in the score 6-4, both going to 8 --- his pocket is at the top right --- not a whole lot of choices here --- the 5ball is not frozen to the foot rail --- the 1ball blocks the 8 from being pocketed --- wwyd >>>
C'mon now Larry...I luv you, but, sigh...I addressed the position of the 5ball in my opening post.........this happens often, by many posters - maybe I should just not bother anymore to take the time to supply info re. the position of the balls, etc. in the wwyd's....but first I'll try saying this to all posters - I don't think it's too much to ask...

Since for the benefit of everyone, posters and lurkers, I take the time in my initial post to supply the pertinent info relating to the wwyd - please don't disrespect me by not reading it. Thanks.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
I like laying the cue ball down to the left of the 12ball as the shooter looks at the table. Playing the cue ball on top of the 12ball could possibly leave a straight back on the 12ball for your opponent. This option buys you the much needed time to look at something much better the next time your back at the table.

Dr. Bill

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I'm trying to figure out if the, 'camera angles' are producing different results. Anyone have an idea?
Na, you're having the same difficulty I do, or anyone would: Drawing those lines in a perfectly representative way; It's very difficult to draw our line 'exactly' through the middle of the balls to determine where they're truly lined up. Just being off a tiny bit translates into a bit of distance 6 feet away.
Pretty much all we can do is give ourselves a close guideline.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
if you look at the line you drew for the CB to follow, if it hits that long rail around where you diagrammed, you are going to have to have a ton of RHE to spin down that far to hit the 5, otherwise,
when the CB is that close to the 8, its hard to get a lot of good follow on it (for me anyways)
The line is just a guide, certainly not definitive. It appears to me that there is a good amount of leeway to choosing how far down on the rail I want to get the CB to hit. That's why I said "a good eye on it should allow for success".

Being that close to the 8 makes CB follow (with right speed & without double-striking) difficult for me too. But there are plenty of shots that aren't easy for me :)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I like coming softly off he 12 and leaving him close to the top rail. Looking for something better next inning. K

I think I would just roll off the 12 to the left side , close to the middle diamond and leave him a line of balls that don't go My next shot will probably not be as tough as this one.

I like laying the cue ball down to the left of the 12ball as the shooter looks at the table. Playing the cue ball on top of the 12ball could possibly leave a straight back on the 12ball for your opponent. This option buys you the much needed time to look at something much better the next time your back at the table.
Dr. Bill

^ This is also my choice here.

lll

Verified Member
My opening post >>>

C'mon now Larry...I luv you, but, sigh...I addressed the position of the 5ball in my opening post.........this happens often, by many posters - maybe I should just not bother anymore to take the time to supply info re. the position of the balls, etc. in the wwyd's....but first I'll try saying this to all posters - I don't think it's too much to ask...

Since for the benefit of everyone, posters and lurkers, I take the time in my initial post to supply the pertinent info relating to the wwyd - please don't disrespect me by not reading it. Thanks.
ghost
I DID READ YOUR DESCRIPTION
by the time i read some suggestions i forgot that detail when i posted.
i am entitled to a senior moment!!!!!!! i have my medicare card !!!!! 😊
NO DISRESPECT INTENDED
i wuv you too....:love:

cincy_kid

Verified Member

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
unless I am not understanding the shot you guys are talking about, if you leave the CB to the left of the 12, cant the opponent just shoot the 8 ball into the long rail off the 5 and run out? <<< That's not likely to happen since the 5ball is 1/8" off of the rail, and 3" away from the pocket...and beside's, there aren't any good/sure thing shots available here.
Chris...we mean to our left when down and shooting the shot, not as you are viewing the pic on your monitor.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I
Chris...we mean to our left when down and shooting the shot, not as you are viewing the pic on your monitor.
I guess I'm still confused as the other side of the 12 gives a free shot on 1 correct? Im sure im missing something...

Also if u mean the right side of the 12 like I originally thought.. I'm still shooting the 8 with sideboards and you will be doubled up with the 11...

I know there's no great shots but I'm just trying to figure the logic in this one

sappo

Verified Member
I

I guess I'm still confused as the other side of the 12 gives a free shot on 1 correct? Im sure im missing something...

Also if u mean the right side of the 12 like I originally thought.. I'm still shooting the 8 with sideboards and you will be doubled up with the 11...

I know there's no great shots but I'm just trying to figure the logic in this one
I think if you put whitey just to the left of the 12 ball on the center table side of the 12 ball, against the top rail I don't think you have a free shot at any ball. Keith

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I think if you put whitey just to the left of the 12 ball on the center table side of the 12 ball, against the top rail I don't think you have a free shot at any ball. Keith
^ Exactly......and Chris, with the cueball on the rail right there where Keith stated, can't say for positive, but it looks like you can't lag the 8 down towards your pocket cuz you have a scratch angle into the side pocket.

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
i would be nervous leaving the cue ball within a diamond or two of the 5 as the kick to make the 5 is very inviting
and/or banking the 11 in to it
banking the 11 will probably leave you the your repositioned 8 ball but the cue ball will end near the head rail and the 5 and 11 will be near my pocket if i dont make the 5
so i dont think you go after the 9
icbw
jmho
same critique for sorackems shot
if you dont leave me on the 5 or blocking the side rail for the kick
makes the kick inviting
disclaimer if the 5 is FROZE the kick is tougher so i would have to think about it
but since the 5 is so close a soft bump should work
jmho
icbw
I would agree with this but I also don't see you getting more than one ball with the kick and it extracts a threat from your side. This is my thinking and a lot of the time if you kick one ball in and than have to clear the 8 ball from my side I figure I am going to be in a much better position than I am now as you will not have your biggest threat any more. And if you kick it poorly and catch the rail to soon than I can move a second ball to my side and lock you up

lll

Verified Member
I would agree with this but I also don't see you getting more than one ball with the kick and it extracts a threat from your side. This is my thinking and a lot of the time if you kick one ball in and than have to clear the 8 ball from my side I figure I am going to be in a much better position than I am now as you will not have your biggest threat any more. And if you kick it poorly and catch the rail to soon than I can move a second ball to my side and lock you up
depending where you leave the 8
i could have a bank on the 12 after making the 5 or a 2 railer on your 8
just sayin
chris if you play like you see the shots you are one tough customer to play....jmho....(y)

12squared

Verified Member
The more I look at this, the more I like shooting the 8 into the left side of the 1 herding both towards my pocket. (Was that Whitey?). Why I'm not crazy about bunting into the 12 is you just hunt back, eventually getting a soft/medium kick to the 5 ball.

12squared

Verified Member