John vs. Barry 8 - wwyd?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
mr3c, it appears to me that the final picture has the lines correct, for in this one the line going thru the cb seems more on center. I would go with view as being correct.
I know one thing I am not shooting the 8 into the 5, imminent disaster IMO! Cutting the 8 may be viable if the cb can end up on the opponents side by the side pocket. I like shooting the 8 into the back side of the 1 and sending both towards my hole and drawing cb back to head rail. Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
^ Exactly......and Chris, with the cueball on the rail right there where Keith stated, can't say for positive, but it looks like you can't lag the 8 down towards your pocket cuz you have a scratch angle into the side pocket.
Yea right up against the 12 that angle is steeper than I was imagining and the side pocket could come into play....

Tough spot, good wwyd!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I guess I'm still confused as the other side of the 12 gives a free shot on 1 correct? Im sure im missing something...

Also if u mean the right side of the 12 like I originally thought.. I'm still shooting the 8 with sideboards and you will be doubled up with the 11...

I know there's no great shots but I'm just trying to figure the logic in this one
Sound reasoning, Cincy. Leaving the CB on either side of the 12 is very weak. If a guy could freeze the CB onto the 12 on its footward side, that would be a decent shot. That may be what John was referring to by "treetopping".

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Barry's shot, he's in a tough situation again, but he is ahead in the score 6-4, both going to 8 --- his pocket is at the top right --- not a whole lot of choices here --- the 5ball is not frozen to the foot rail --- the 1ball blocks the 8 from being pocketed --- wwyd >>>

View attachment 431563View attachment 431564View attachment 431565
If I can bank the 12 pocket speed and park whitey in an area by the side pocket to block the 12 by the 1/11, that's my shot. Otherwise, I'm leaving him on top of the 12.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
It looks like if one were to roll up on the 12 ball, a free shot is available.

A player could just shoot the 8 ball into the long cushion, then into the 5 ball and, 'double kiss' it into the pocket or hang it. Even if the 5 isn't frozen, if hit correctly, it can kiss.

Stop the CB right there.
I'd actually want him to shoot that shot. Yes, it's free but it's low percentage and gets me out of trouble on my next shot

unoperro

Verified Member
Well being that I am crazy😉I would look hard at 1 railing the 12 and sending whitey 2 rails to park on the 8.
Speed to park on the 8 not to make the 12.

It's a funny thing how if you are playing and have a good feel for the table shots like this are simple. I like many of you have played very little lately and honestly would have no confidance in this shot now. I would still shoot it as I feel it is the best answer to this quandary.

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, Barry chose the shot-option that several of us also liked = spinning softly off the left side of the 12 (iirc, he caught a bit of a double kiss from the 12), and leaving John tripled-up on the head rail...here's how he ended up ----->

004.JPG

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Completely different, and much weaker outcome, than I think he should have gotten, had he hit the 12 correctly.
If you leave him an inch or so left of where he ended up, the side pocket scratch is in play and it still leaves the 8 to the long rail shot but it has a penalty, this shot has no penalty. Its a free whack at rolling the 8 off the 5 and hooking him behind the 1 or 11.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Just curious do you remember what John did from there?
Yeah Keith...as Chris suggested, John did shoot the 8 down at the long rail/5ball...but...shooting off of the rail (and with a pool cue, not with a mouse) you can't always be precise...that said, John cut the 8 a tad too much, and the 8 hit the long rail and then the top-center of the 5, rather than the left side of it as he meant to do...after this, Barry was not trapped, and had options.