John vs. Ray 6 - wwyd?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
Yes Terry, you can see all of the 15ball...

And Chris, + anybody else...yes, you can execute the shot of getting behind the 3 by hitting the 2ball full and semi-following through the 2 with right english - but you don't have to employ that full hit to achieve this = you can instead, hit the 2 thin, with maximum 3 o'clock english, to easily get behind the 3 - no low hit on the cueball is necessary.
Thanks, i'm going to have to practice those.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Good advice ghost
For me i can gauge the spin to get there a little easier than how much draw
Which way do you guys prefer
Absolutely it's easier Larry - once you get familiar/comfortable with using maximum sidespin...I keep drilling that into my pals/students Donn & Johnnytronic.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tBSdcSeUj3wxUg5R7 I would not necessarily do this jump/draw shot in this scenario, it is just for fun! I got to laugh!
It is mr3c fault for putting up all those trickery 3c masse' shots, so I came up with one of my own, be it only one rail. LOL!

I hope you guys get a chuckle out of this one! Enjoy! Whitey
Pretty snappy stroke there Whitey! I noticed the CB was airborne when it contacted the 14 ball, the CB still had enough draw effect on when it bounced on the cloth, before it to goes back towards the stack! I guess I'll have to confess, I've been the fault of many things. LOL!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Pretty snappy stroke there Whitey! I noticed the CB was airborne when it contacted the 14 ball, the CB still had enough draw effect on when it bounced on the cloth, before it to goes back towards the stack! I guess I'll have to confess, I've been the fault of many things. LOL!
thx mr3c! If you pause the video @ 33 sec. mark just as I stroke the cb, it will show the cb in the air going into the 4 ball, and then double click the pause again real quick, 34 sec mark, you will see the cb in the air above the 14. Once I stroke the cb it never touches the table bed again until it pockets the 14.

I tried to post a still picture of the cb above the 14, but was unable to do it thus far, if anyone knows how to do it, I would appreciate it.

On 12 squared shot; 2 railing the 12 and drawing the cb in behind the 6, it works out very well, for the speed of the 12 and draw on the cb match. Also if you like to leave the opponent up table then this shot can be stroked with inside high reverse to leave the opponent tripled up on his hole behind the 8.

In banking the 13; If you are a player that likes to leave your opponent up table; you can slightly over cut it which adds speed to the cb. The cb goes to the long rail behind the 11 then to the head rail and comes off in line with the 8 ball which protects your balls by your hole. This leaves a pretty good tester back cut on the 11, or a combination.

Cincy's shot on the 2; you are shooting in a direction away from where you want to end up, which is on the foot rail by the 3. So you have to do something to change this direction, it will not do it by itself.

The shot coming off of the 10 into the side rail and kicking the 6 over. There is not much of a safe angle coming off of the 10 to get the rail without first contacting the 6, but this is what needs to be done, and apply a lot of rhe to spin into the 6.

If you go to the thread of Efren vs. Alex 2017 OP you will see some tricky shots such as this by Efren. Whitey

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I think I am going to keep this simple, yet effective if I execute properly. It looks like I have the angle for this, I would shoot into the right side of the 2 ball with RHE, CB to his long rail and then come and snuggle under the 3 on the foot rail. I should have a pretty good shot next inning.
I think I am going to keep this simple, yet effective if I execute properly. It looks like I have the angle for this, I would shoot into the right side of the 2 ball with RHE, CB to his long rail and then come and snuggle under the 3 on the foot rail. I should have a pretty good shot next inning.
this is the shot I decided on... I was just reading thru everyone’s choices to see if anyone else had already picked this shot, and sure enough, the kid did... if the cb gets wedged tight under the 3, it would be a pretty good choice...

vapros

Verified Member
Ghostie, how about developing the matter of getting comfortable using maximum side spin a little more? Nobody ever advised me to do that.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, Ray chose the shot-option that Chris & Jeff liked = spinning softly off the right side of the 2, and leaving John behind the 3ball - he hit it pretty good, but a tad soft, and didn't quite get his cueball frozen on the 3.....here's how he ended up ----->

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...jpg

catkins

Verified Member
There is a shot here that is extremely challenging beings that the cb is fairly close to the foot rail, and that is to shoot into the 4 ball and come back into the 14 and make it in my hole. If the cb was a little farther off the rail then it is a no brainer. A good shot to know and to work on!

I like mr3c shot off the 10 and leaving cb by the 6, but I would just come off the foot rail and not contact the side rail with the cb.

In banking the 13 I would over cut it slightly to add more speed to the cb so I catch the long side rail then head cushion and come off in line with the 8 ball and the balls by my pocket. This way it protects my balls, but it does give up a tester cut on the 11. Whitey
great video I definitely looked at this shot but would probably leave it alone because of the placement of the cue ball but as always love the videos

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Yes Terry, you can see all of the 15ball...

And Chris, + anybody else...yes, you can execute the shot of getting behind the 3 by hitting the 2ball full and semi-following through the 2 with right english - but you don't have to employ that full hit to achieve this = you can instead, hit the 2 thin, with maximum 3 o'clock english, to easily get behind the 3 - no low hit on the cueball is necessary.
But if you hit the 2 thick you will get it to your side so I'd prefer a thick hit here if I can achieve the same result of getting behind the 3. Your one pocket axiom in action Ghost!

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
thx mr3c! If you pause the video @ 33 sec. mark just as I stroke the cb, it will show the cb in the air going into the 4 ball, and then double click the pause again real quick, 34 sec mark, you will see the cb in the air above the 14. Once I stroke the cb it never touches the table bed again until it pockets the 14.

I tried to post a still picture of the cb above the 14, but was unable to do it thus far, if anyone knows how to do it, I would appreciate it.
Here you go Whitey. It looks to me as if the CB might have touched the table just before it hit the 4 and got airborne again on impact.

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpgpic7.jpgpic8.jpg

lll

Verified Member
oops i see ratamon already posted some still shots

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Thanks Larry & Ratamon for the stills. If we could get a continuous still of each frame then that would be beautiful also.
Ratamon, I do not think the cb contacts the table before the hitting the 4 ball. Although I have not been able to stop the action right at impact, but in just letting it run I do not see it contact the table. It is a very important point though!

My instincts without seeing the video would be to jump into the ball for the impact will hold the ball there and further elevate the ball somewhat as it bounces back off of it.
I have done bank shots like this to get out of the kiss. Jump into the medium part of the ob and the cb holds there but elevates enough for the ob to go right underneath it for the bank.
To hit the table first I would think would allow the cb to climb more, thus as we have seen many times the cb goes up and over and off the table. This is my opinion unless a still proves otherwise. Whitey

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Thanks Larry & Ratamon for the stills. If we could get a continuous still of each frame then that would be beautiful also.
This is not possible I’m afraid. The frame count of your smartphone is too low to allow this. The stills I posted are frame by frame.

It looks to me, though, that the CB contacted the 4 below center so the subsequent action on the CB appears possible only if it hit the table an instant before it hit the 4 and that’s also why it didn’t fly off the table. I could be wrong but that’s how I see it from watching the video in slo-mo

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
This is not possible I’m afraid. The frame count of your smartphone is too low to allow this. The stills I posted are frame by frame.

It looks to me, though, that the CB contacted the 4 below center so the subsequent action on the CB appears possible only if it hit the table an instant before it hit the 4 and that’s also why it didn’t fly off the table. I could be wrong but that’s how I see it from watching the video in slo-mo
Can you put up the slo-mo video? I appreciate your efforts! Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
If I may add my 2 cents. Applying max English in pool has it's use when contacting the OB 95-100% full, the carom is predictable with certain speeds. The one thing "I" would avoid is, not playing with max on shots further away than, 3-4', curve, swerve, all that stuff.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I need to learn the process of how to obtain this slo-mo from this site.
I still only see the cb in the air, I never see it contact the table bed before it contacts the 4. This is very important to know, for those that are trying this shot! I'd like to know if that is how others see it also.
thanks once again for your efforts, I really appreciate it. You guys have brought a lot of life to this shot. For me it has been 50 yrs. since I did a jump shot similar to this, so it brings back good memories.

And a special thanks to Ghost, for without his efforts none of this could come to life. I feel this has been an excellent wwyd, and different for it involves shooting off of the rail, which is of course a big part of OP, how to control the cb. Whitey