joyner cooney wwyd>

beatle

Verified Member
in these wwyd it doesn't do much good to argue over what will go and not from the picture. we just cant always tell.

best to give an idea of shots that would go if they could and why you would shoot that shot. easy enough to just to say i dont think that ball goes so i will shoot this.
some players dont shoot as well as others may, so go for more safes and rely on the other fellow to provide him with a shot. some strike balls better, and know that for them its imperative to make aggressive shots work for them as that wins games when your opponet plays well.

jtompilot

Verified Member
Defensive, pocketing the 13 w/ cb going to the head rail and up onto the 1 ball, thus protecting the spotted 13 ball.
Offensive, mr3c's shot, or Beatle's combo bank if it is there. Whitey
We all love your videos. It would be great to see two of those shots

mr3cushion

Verified Member
in these wwyd it doesn't do much good to argue over what will go and not from the picture. we just cant always tell.

best to give an idea of shots that would go if they could and why you would shoot that shot. easy enough to just to say i dont think that ball goes so i will shoot this.
some players dont shoot as well as others may, so go for more safes and rely on the other fellow to provide him with a shot. some strike balls better, and know that for them its imperative to make aggressive shots work for them as that wins games when your opponet plays well.
Hear, Hear!

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
thinking much of the time you will send the 15 towards Cooney's pocket.
That had occurred to me right before I saw this post.
Playing to over-cut the 1, with the focus on getting a better hit to send the nearby stripe more diagonally to Joyner's pocket might be a good play.
Might even carom that 5 ball (with the 1) to good result.
Moving two balls toward your corner and likely leaving the CB in the upper left hand quadrant where the stripe was.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
If I opted for offense here, the only shot that I would shoot is to kick the dark ball to my pocket - pretty safe, and I shape up the 5ball if I make it - I shoot this shot often and am comfortable with executing it...

If I opted for defense here, I would cut the 13 or 11? softly into the 1ball, lodging them together, and have my cueball drop onto the head rail, most likely somewhat covered by the stripe....you do this instead of pocketing the stripe (which with your 4-0 lead, profits Jack more than you), and you now have made the stripe and the 1ball unbankable for Jack, taking away those potential offensive opportunities.

- Ghost

catkins

Verified Member
I think people who are used to making hits in three cushion have a huge advantage when it comes to controlling cue ball of of the hits off the object ball since they are used to not hitting the object ball to make the shot but to control angle of release off the object ball. So I would expect some one shooting the bank with carom is going to focus more on the cue ball control than making the bank. So, as I believe that most of the best shots in one pocket are high execution shots I would say that if people see these shots well it is a perfectly playable shot. For me I don't really think this feels like the time for me to move balls down table as I am the person ahead in balls by a large margin I can relax and squeeze to my hearts content.

vapros

Verified Member
Good on you, Larry - 26 posts on the first day - and you've got the Ghost stumbling around as one of the commoners, because you are the guy who knows what actually happened instead of him. :)

Look at all the traffic this WWYD has generated. It's a whole new approach - lots of balls on the table - lots of possibilities/good ideas. It's great to toss in one of these now and then.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
I think people who are used to making hits in three cushion have a huge advantage when it comes to controlling cue ball of of the hits off the object ball since they are used to not hitting the object ball to make the shot but to control angle of release off the object ball. So I would expect some one shooting the bank with carom is going to focus more on the cue ball control than making the bank. So, as I believe that most of the best shots in one pocket are high execution shots I would say that if people see these shots well it is a perfectly playable shot. For me I don't really think this feels like the time for me to move balls down table as I am the person ahead in balls by a large margin I can relax and squeeze to my hearts content.
Well said Cat! Every player has to play to their individual strengths! As in 3 cushion, 1 pocket is not a,
'rubber stamp' game. many elements come into play when a player chooses a shot to play when it's their turn at the table. I'm sure a lot of players like to follow the, 'ABC's of 1 pocket, that's a good strategy when playing a lessor player. But, when your in up to your neck in a tough game, sometimes you need to do something to demoralize your opponent!

For me, as I stated, I wanted to put my opponent on defense in that inning, sort of thinking 3 shots ahead, mine, his ( which I think is predictable) and my return. Actually, IMHO, the balls favor Jack a little at the other end also.

jtompilot

Verified Member
I think you can lag the 6 to your hole but the 14 plays a big wild card on how the QB ends up.

catkins

Verified Member
I think you can lag the 6 to your hole but the 14 plays a big wild card on how the QB ends up.
I like this shot but feel that if the cue ball stops on the 14 like I would expect there are a lot of moves with the 11 5 and locking up that could put you in trouble

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
Bill was right, I had the 13 about half a ball too close to the rail. Here is the shot as closely as I could match lll's image.
CropperCapture[579].png

And here is an overhead using exactly that layout of the shot I liked:

CropperCapture[580].png

I thought that the cue ball would move towards the top but it doesn't hit the two ball on that side unless you really spin the cue ball. In fiddling with the aim, I had to hit the two ball really badly to get a bad result.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
Good on you, Larry - 26 posts on the first day - and you've got the Ghost stumbling around as one of the commoners, because you are the guy who knows what actually happened instead of him. :)

Look at all the traffic this WWYD has generated. It's a whole new approach - lots of balls on the table - lots of possibilities/good ideas. It's great to toss in one of these now and then.
thanks for the kudos bill
but the ghost is still the king of WWYD....(insert bow to the king emoticon.... :) )
he knows the game so well that he picks up on situations that are way over my head
i also dont get to play much so i pick things from dvd''s when i think the player did something really cool,made me question why did he shoot that??, if he shoots something i never saw coming,or just a what i think is a teaching situation that can apply in a lot of scenarios
or the site is slow and we need something to talk about or to help diffuse anything heating up...... :) 👍

beatle

Verified Member
i wont kick at the 2 ball here as your cueball will come up and leave him a bank at say the 1 ball, or the ball you kicked up at your hole as the cueball will be on his side of the table.

but bob's pic shows that you can kick the 6 up between the 4,and 5 and cover him. but larry's pic it doesnt look like the cue ball can fit easily enough if at all.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I really don't know what I like.

For defensive I almost typed what ghost did so I am with you on that shot G.

Offensive I don't mind kybs shot if I can control the rock well enough. I love the idea of mr3c shot but when I try those I come out of the corner too tight so I end up caroming the 13 down towards my opps hole. Since he is a 3c player I'm sure he would it well!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Since you have a table, it would be interesting to try Bill's shot. I'm thinking much of the time you will send the 15 towards Cooney's pocket.
1st. shot, mr3c's shot is almost a give me, a natural if you may! Your virtual reality post, I am greatly concern that this does not become the norm.
2nd, shot; Beatle; my only concern as I stated was; "if it is there", it looks possible but only the live shooter could really decide this. Of course do it if it is there.

Therefore, I do not think that either shot rises to the height of trying to replicate. 1st. you have to figure out where exactly the camera is, and only then try to locate the position of the balls. What the hell for, Larry is going to post the result anyway.

I would rather rely on confidence in Joyner making the right shot selection, and go by this! After all, he is there in the present, and of course one of our premier OP players. So I am referring to whatever Joyner comes up with as being the best shot!

I gave my opinion, off of the picture, and that is to pocket the 13 and lay up on the 1, protecting the 13, that is how I see it!

No videos from me on this, Joyner has my confidence!

I will add this; I played an older guy in approx.'70, he was about 40, he left me like this with what appears to be a uptable safe. I did a combination bank, as the 2/7, and then another combo bank off the head rail, he was done. It was very unpleasant match from the get go, anyway for he was older and thought experience in playing OP would surfice over a 19 yr.old. lol! little did he or anyone else know that I practice OP everyday! Whitey

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
alittle more end game
cliffs shot
he leads 4-0 in ball count
View attachment 431486
The bank on the 1 ball and 2 rail carom into the, I think 13 looks like it works for me.

I like putting 2 balls by my hole here, to make my opponent have to waste his next turn playing defense. In doing so, he may leave a two rail on the 2 ball or straight back on the 3.

View attachment 431487
i would shoot this if it was on...
hard to see if it is unless at the table, but it’s a Joyner type shot for sure...
wouldn’t surprise me at all if he made both balls...
I’ve seen him do some amazing things...
I’m sure he didn’t just play defense here, Larry wouldn’t post up a simple safety...

Personally if Bills option laid bad, I’d probably choose defense leading 4/0... I’d roll the 13 in, trying not to disturb the 1, maybe even fall perfectly behind the 1ball... take a seat...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Sorry Guys, I was not in the mood to set this scenario up, yesterday, but I'll give it a go today, and see how it goes. thanks, guys! Whitey