joyner cooney wwyd>

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
If I opted for offense here, the only shot that I would shoot is to kick the dark ball to my pocket - pretty safe, and I shape up the 5ball if I make it - I shoot this shot often and am comfortable with executing it...

If I opted for defense here, I would cut the 13 or 11? softly into the 1ball, lodging them together, and have my cueball drop onto the head rail, most likely somewhat covered by the stripe....you do this instead of pocketing the stripe (which with your 4-0 lead, profits Jack more than you), and you now have made the stripe and the 1ball unbankable for Jack, taking away those potential offensive opportunities.

- Ghost
Ghost, how are you going to protect against a bank on the 5 ? For that reason, I liked my shot better as it lies natural to come off the top rail behind the 1. I agree pocketing the stripe (13 or is it 11?) is not ideal given the lead but if I get him snug behind the 1, he is in a bit of a trap.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
Whitey
great shooting
beautiful demonstration of the options

mr3cushion

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Saz47JxrKZPnWEcZ7 I set the 1 ball 1-1/2 balls off the 1st. diamond, 13 ball is 2balls off the 2nd diamond.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YchDXVm3iu5AXUQJ6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ykk8sVvq1aXAxFfh7

I really enjoyed doing these shots. thanks for asking! Whitey
Whitey, very nice demonstration of 3 options from this position!

#1. Very aggressive shot.
#2. A semi aggressive shot.
#3. A good defensive shot.

Thanks, as usual for putting choices to the test!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Ghost, how are you going to protect against a bank on the 5 ? For that reason, I liked my shot better as it lies natural to come off the top rail behind the 1. I agree pocketing the stripe (13 or is it 11?) is not ideal given the lead but if I get him snug behind the 1, he is in a bit of a trap.
B-bro....as I said in my post re. this safety: "the cueball will almost certainly be somewhat covered by the stripe"...and if by a slim chance Jack could see the 5ball - I don't care about that - as a matter of fact, guess what? - I want him to shoot it = he'll be shooting it at a bad angle, jacked up frozen on the rail = = = he's about 20% to make it, and if he did, he only gets 1 - and when he misses it, the 5 can go twice across to my pocket selling out, or he can leave me a cross-corner, or being jacked, he could lose his cueball and scratch in the side pocket.

P.S. Nice hit on my kick shot/aggressive shot choice here Whitey - that's just how I would have been shooting it.

- Ghost

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Thanks for taking time to educate me Ghost - it all makes perfect sense - and great shooting Whitey!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Since, we are now beyond wwyd, I then ask, just what do you think Cliff played, before Larry posts it up.

I do not really know Cliff the player, and have not really watch him much at all. I just know he is highly regarded and therefore he has the talent of course to pull these shots off. I want to say back bank the 1, but considering the score, I am going with the 2/7 combo bank. But, it would not surprise me at all if he went for the back bank on the 1.

I'd be shocked if he pocketed the 13 putting cb behind the 1, for I think he is an aggressive type player. It has been fun, Larry, thanks for the wwyd. Whitey

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Banking the 1 there is a considerable risk of pushing the 13 towards Jack's pocket so I don't think he shot that.

There is a double-kiss playing the 2-7 combo - you nearly sold out the 13 when playing it (if the kiss was a tad thinner that's what would have happened).

Kicking the 4 leaves a return bank on the 1 (or the 7) which are both easier shots compared to the kick so the percentages are not there.

I do believe Cliff shot a defensive shot here so either Ghost's shot (rail first into the 13 tying the 13 and the 1) or the shot I liked (pocketing the 13 and putting the CB behind the 1).

Unfortunately, there is no second try in a real game...

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Seems to me that if Cliff were to go aggressive, he'd want a shot that would give him a second ball to work off. That in mind, I'd say he'd play the 1 ball bank and kick the 13 up.
However, as Catkins and others have observed; he's up 4-0 and 'can squeeze to his heart's content'. Which seems like a reasonable observation.
I'd guess that he's sharp enough to recognize the value in Ghost's defensive shot option.
I like that better than potting the 13 as it removes chance of clipping the 1 or creating enough distance to send the 1 toward his hole.

12squared

Verified Member

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Thanks for taking time to educate me Ghost - it all makes perfect sense
You're welcome bro...and here's a nuance of the game, (not, as Larry would say, sexy, but just as important as our power shots, 3-rail banks, etc.) for you and Larry - re. your and others safety-shot of pocketing the 13ball...

Refer to/view Whitey's third posted shot, which depicts your safety executed......now if I'm left in that position, as Whitey left it, like most all players, I'm going to come off of the side of the 1ball and send my cueball safely 2 rails (long, long) on down to the foot rail...now here's where the nuance to that shot comes in...

It defines the One Pocket axiom of having the dedication to your game, to get the most you can out of every shot...that said, if I'm playing the above mentioned safety from behind the 1 (cutting the 1ball and going down table), I will at the same time be endeavoring to have that 1ball end up approx. 1-1/2 feet over, to where it blocks Cliff's lane for banking the 12ball straight back, & also blocks the 2-3 combo straight back bank...I may not achieve this, but I will try.

- Ghost

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
ill bet your best cube of chalk against a trip to mami beach on a crowded weekend this month, he shot my choice of the 2 ,7, combo bank.
the easiest shot and the one that gets him some extra balls.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
You're welcome, and here's a further nuance of the game, for you and Larry - re. your and others safety-shot of pocketing the 13ball...

Refer to/view Whitey's third posted shot, which depicts your safety executed......now if I'm left in that position, as Whitey left it, like most all players, I'm going to come off of the side of the 1ball and send my cueball safely 2 rails (long, long) on down to the foot rail...now here's where the nuance to that shot comes in...

It defines the One Pocket axiom of having the dedication to your game, to get the most you can out of every shot...that said, if I'm playing the above mentioned safety from behind the 1 (cutting the 1ball and going down table), I will at the same time be endeavoring to have that 1ball end up approx. 1-1/2 feet over, to where it blocks Cliff's lane for banking the 12ball straight back, & also blocks the 2-3 combo straight back bank...I may not achieve this, but I will try.

- Ghost
Thank you Ghost. That's a great axiom/principle. If on every shot I achieve a teeny bit more than my opponent, in the end I'm going to prevail, well, most of the time anyway. So simple and so true!

I have to leave the CB touching the 1 right behind it to cut off the 2-rail escape you've suggested but then I am likely to leave a simple escape of pocketing the 10 (unless the 12 blocks the path which I don't think it does). Now two balls have spotted up and I definitely like it less from there.

This turned out to be a great educational thread AFAIC. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
ill bet your best cube of chalk against a trip to mami beach on a crowded weekend this month, he shot my choice of the 2 ,7, combo bank.
ROFLMAO You have exposed yourself more times than an old guy wearing a trench coat on campus, I doubt you could get anybody to bet 10 cents you couldn't flap your wings a few times, and glide up to your perch.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
If you're wanting to place a bet, it means you've already seen this video o_O 🤑

lll

Verified Member
Thank you Ghost. That's a great axiom/principle. If on every shot I achieve a teeny bit more than my opponent, in the end I'm going to prevail, well, most of the time anyway. So simple and so true!

I have to leave the CB touching the 1 right behind it to cut off the 2-rail escape you've suggested but then I am likely to leave a simple escape of pocketing the 10 (unless the 12 blocks the path which I don't think it does). Now two balls have spotted up and I definitely like it less from there.

This turned out to be a great educational thread AFAIC. Thanks everyone!
what does AFAIC mean??
sorry i am old

lll

Verified Member
hey guys i am really enjoying and learning from your discussions of the shots
thats what wwyd is all about
not just did you guess what the pro shot
but what would YOU do but whats left out is WHY
you guys are discussing the why and why not
again
THANK YOU
i will post what cliff did in the morning to give you all alittle more time for discussion
carry on men...:)