Verified Member
hey guys i am really enjoying and learning from your discussions of the shots
thats what wwyd is all about
not just did you guess what the pro shot
but what would YOU do but whats left out is WHY
you guys are discussing the why and why not
again
THANK YOU
i will post what cliff did in the morning to give you all alittle more time for discussion
carry on men...:)
Larry, I think I posted my logic in a couple of posts.

beatle

Verified Member
no, i didnt see the video or have prior knowledge. but figure who would want to go to miami beach and catch the virus. but i think we narrowed it down to 4 possibilities and thats better than most of the wwyd's.
i cancel my bet as i dont want anyone to die just yet. and i know i am wrong on my choice.
good discussion. and thanks to ghost and also whitey for his relentless pursuit of videos of the shots. and to larry for his work here on making us think.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
no, i didnt see the video or have prior knowledge. but figure who would want to go to miami beach and catch the virus. but i think we narrowed it down to 4 possibilities and thats better than most of the wwyd's.
i cancel my bet as i dont want anyone to die just yet. and i know i am wrong on my choice.
good discussion. and thanks to ghost and also whitey for his relentless pursuit of videos of the shots. and to larry for his work here on making us think.
I will take the free vacation and take my chances.

beatle

Verified Member
that would be a dumb move. and dumb moves in life lead to dumb mores in one pocket. gotcha buddy.

jtompilot

Verified Member

Kybanks

Verified Member
I took some time and looked this over, I'm thinning the 2 ball towards the 1 ball and running into the 6 ball with the cb. My first shot choice was a quick glance.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
that would be a dumb move. and dumb moves in life lead to dumb mores in one pocket. gotcha buddy.
Looks like Cliff picked my shot, how ya like me now? edit { I thought I was the first to post this shot but that champion safe player Ratamon beat me, good job Rat!}
🤖 Gotcha back , last tag, no takebacks, this reminds me of fourth grade , thanks for the memories. We thought it was great fun to hang our heads out the car windows and yell "your mama wears combat boots" at the other kids.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
You're welcome bro...and here's a nuance of the game, (not, as Larry would say, sexy, but just as important as our power shots, 3-rail banks, etc.) for you and Larry - re. your and others safety-shot of pocketing the 13ball...

Refer to/view Whitey's third posted shot, which depicts your safety executed......now if I'm left in that position, as Whitey left it, like most all players, I'm going to come off of the side of the 1ball and send my cueball safely 2 rails (long, long) on down to the foot rail...now here's where the nuance to that shot comes in...

It defines the One Pocket axiom of having the dedication to your game, to get the most you can out of every shot...that said, if I'm playing the above mentioned safety from behind the 1 (cutting the 1ball and going down table), I will at the same time be endeavoring to have that 1ball end up approx. 1-1/2 feet over, to where it blocks Cliff's lane for banking the 12ball straight back, & also blocks the 2-3 combo straight back bank...I may not achieve this, but I will try.

- Ghost
this was a nice insight into what to do as a reply ghost

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
If I opted for offense here, the only shot that I would shoot is to kick the dark ball to my pocket - pretty safe, and I shape up the 5ball if I make it - I shoot this shot often and am comfortable with executing it...

If I opted for defense here, I would cut the 13 or 11? softly into the 1ball, lodging them together, and have my cueball drop onto the head rail, most likely somewhat covered by the stripe....you do this instead of pocketing the stripe (which with your 4-0 lead, profits Jack more than you), and you now have made the stripe and the 1ball unbankable for Jack, taking away those potential offensive opportunities.

- Ghost
the bank on the 2 was not a shot i would have considered with the ball that far off the rail
your variation of playing safe by putting the cue ball alongside the 13 rather than making it i like
since one reason i posted this thread is i was surprised cliff made the ball putting it in play while being ahead in the score
and wondered what everyone would think of that

lll

Verified Member
Banking the 1 there is a considerable risk of pushing the 13 towards Jack's pocket so I don't think he shot that.

There is a double-kiss playing the 2-7 combo - you nearly sold out the 13 when playing it (if the kiss was a tad thinner that's what would have happened).

Kicking the 4 leaves a return bank on the 1 (or the 7) which are both easier shots compared to the kick so the percentages are not there.

I do believe Cliff shot a defensive shot here so either Ghost's shot (rail first into the 13 tying the 13 and the 1) or the shot I liked (pocketing the 13 and putting the CB behind the 1).

Unfortunately, there is no second try in a real game...
good analysis ratamon...... 👍

lll

Verified Member
thanks every one
must give special thanks to whitey for shooting the shots and posting the videos.....👍
geez that guy never misses......i definitely need a bigger spot..........😊

lll

Verified Member
Well , I don't play well enough, to be sure I will not sell out the stripe banking the one, so I am going to shoot to pocket the 13 or 11, whatever that ball is, and try to snuggle right up behind the one , the ball spots up, and if I dont get there, I leave him a nasty back cut from the rail, to get 1.
If I do he has a problem. That's a shot most all of us can perform pretty well about every time.
good reasoning for the shot billy

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
the bank on the 2 was not a shot i would have considered with the ball that far off the rail
your variation of playing safe by putting the cue ball alongside the 13 rather than making it i like
since one reason i posted this thread is i was surprised cliff made the ball putting it in play while being ahead in the score
and wondered what everyone would think of that
When he put Jack behind the one ball , the ball downtable is no longer in "play " for Jack at the moment , only Cliff can benefit from it , unless Jack does something, to not leave a shot, or move from there.
If there is no better move , pocketing another ball to spot up would probably be a good move, unfortunately, the stripe cuts if you stop and if you draw back you could leave a shot on the 6 , so in this instance Mr Incardonas shot off the one, would be a good return..

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
When he put Jack behind the one ball , the ball downtable is no longer in "play " for Jack at the moment , only Cliff can benefit from it , unless Jack does something, to not leave a shot, or move from there.
If there is no better move , pocketing another ball to spot up would probably be a good move, unfortunately, the stripe cuts if you stop and if you draw back you could leave a shot on the 6 , so in this instance Mr Incardonas shot off the one, would be a good return..
It’s difficult to see from this camera angle but if Jack can see the 10, it isn’t a very productive shot. All of those 4 balls by Cliff’s side are blocking each other so all Jack’s got to do is pocket the 10 and leave the CB on the rail.

Now two balls are on the spot - WWYD ?

Larry - do you know what Jack shot from here?

lll

Verified Member
It’s difficult to see from this camera angle but if Jack can see the 10, it isn’t a very productive shot. All of those 4 balls by Cliff’s side are blocking each other so all Jack’s got to do is pocket the 10 and leave the CB on the rail.

Now two balls are on the spot - WWYD ?

Larry - do you know what Jack shot from here?
He made the 10
I dont recall cliffs answer

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I would of love it if Cliff had back banked the 1 and picked up the 13. Kudos to mr3c for envisioning this shot. It does not pop out for me, not being a 3c player and not playing OP. Welcome back, hell of a call!

It has occurred to me that in quite a few of these wwyds there is the one shot that is the key to the puzzle, I think this is the one!

Thanks guys for the great shot selections, I had a great time executing them, and thanks for the compliments on the videos. The videos really brought this scenario to life, for me.
Keep the wwyds coming Larry! thanks, Whitey

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
He made the 10
I dont recall cliffs answer
So it was a nothing shot really. Two balls came on the spot and a banking lane for the 1 is now wide open.

I've gotta think a few more steps ahead. No wonder it takes Jerry five minutes to play a shot :)

jtompilot

Verified Member
So it was a nothing shot really. Two balls came on the spot and a banking lane for the 1 is now wide open.

I've gotta think a few more steps ahead. No wonder it takes Jerry five minutes to play a shot :)
Have your shot clock ready for Wednesday 🤣