Lucky johnston city

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Onerock pulled up some old post about me and some say it was luck or whatever.

Anyone that says that about that time in history is slapping Ronnie Allen and Luther Lassiter in the face!

No one in the history of the game ever got lucky and won against either one of them.

My nine ball game was the same as Ronnie's game, 5 rack plus capability.

I played nine matches of 9 ball in Johnston City and won all 9 matches.

Every match I threw no less than a 4 pack at my opponent.

Ronnie and Lassiter got 5 packs thrown at them from opening bell.

Johnston City wasn't the first time I threw 5 packs at someone.

At barely 17 I had 6 rack plus capability because I did run 5 or 6 racks against some of my opponents.

It wasn't like Freddy the Beard said about our game.

We didn't play daily at Johnston City, we played once, even one pocket and he beat me for 8 games at 50 a game.

He played extremely well and I didn't, it was my stakehorse's (POPCORN) last 400.

He did not spot me 9-8 and 8-7 like he said and I did not win Johnston City with his cue, I did use it in the all around against Lassiter in our 14-1 match so he was truthful about me using it, but it was only for one match and I liked my house cues better, LOL.

I used Eddie Burton's cue in the final match against Ronnie, finest cue I ever played with.

A year later the first person I played in Johnston City was Freddy, he wanted 8-7 playing One hole, go figure, I shamed him into playing even again and it wasn't close, beat him 8 games at 30 a game. Match was over in under 2 hours.

Everybody that has a beat list should also have a lost list, some on his beat list was probably giving him weight even though Freddy was a formidable one hole player, it is my opinion he wasn't quite top ten though very very close.

He couldn't handle Ronnie Allen, Richey Florence, Ed Kelly, Larry Liscotti, Jersey Red, Lassiter, John "The Duke" Dowell, Tall Jeff, Nate from L.A., myself and a few others but he was a dam good one holer and I won't take that away from him.

He didn't need to lie about our match, he was a full load with out lying about it.

I'll give it to him, he played at a super high level when we played even in Johnston City but we played even.

In 1970 I never lost a match of 9 ball thru the al around.

I finished the all around with a 4=2 record and it stood up, Ronnie was at 3-3, Lassiter was 2-4. I'm not ashamed of it.

I came from down 2 games and Lassiter had 6 balls to my none in the third game of our match. I turned it around and won that third game and knew with out doubt I was a better one holer than him, I believe I could have given Lassiter 9-8 and won, also I know I could give Greg Stevens 9-8 and win.

It is OK for someone to say I got lucky and won Johnston City, it makes for an interesting post so carry on guys, LOL.

But nobody gets lucky and throws 4 packs plus at all opponents nine matches in a row and like I said, my all around game was comparable to both my opponents.

I not gonna tell everybody I was the best ever, but I was the most battle hardened 18 year old that ever walked into a pool room anywhere on the planet.

I didn't play Dodgeball very well, I was there to be had and occasionally I got had, LOL, and I won't lie about it.

I played Buddy Hall even nine ball shortly after Johnston City, we threw 4=6 packs at each other for 4 hours, he was number 2 or 3 in the world at that time. He is still around today, if there is doubt in someone's mind, look up Buddy and ask him, ask Tall Jeff, his word is good with me!

Every thing I post is 100 percent true, I hope everyone of you enjoy my post. That's why I'm posting! A lot of my post are in my book so y'all are reading my book when y'all read my post.

Also I worked my way to a solid job at Shell Chemical in Deer Park Texas and spent 34 years there and it was tough but I gutted it out and earned a good pension but it wasn't as tough as the All Around in 1970. LOL

So there, I have fired off and by the way I did have nice cloths to wear in Johnston City but they wound up in Chicago when I flew back to Johnston City. I wasn't afraid to play Ronnie or Lassiter in 1970, I left with Cole during the week long 14-1 tourney and to go back to Johnston City and play those two just to win 800 was really not worth it.

I went back so Paulie could have his All around, I owed him that but I dam sure wasn't gonna lay down for them, I was on a quest, had to show up for the young guns, they needed to be represented and I'm not ashamed.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
keith
to beat those guys you CANNOT DO IT ON LUCK
YOU PLAYED GREAT AND DESERVED IT
congratulations on your acheivement...:)
larry

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
All I can say about Squirrel is he went up against the best players in the world at Johnson city the year he won the 9 ball division and the all around world championship.. If you've never been on that big of a stage before and experienced first hand what it is to face off against the best the world has to offer, then I would suggest you cut Keith Thompson a little slack...

Just to give a little gravity to the feat he accomplished, let's put it in perspective... Here's a kid 18 years old who's been playing maybe 4 years tops and wins the 9 ball division ( race to 11 ) undefeated!!! It ain't like he drew a cakewalk bracket, this was a who's who of the best players in the world..

I believe it takes something special inside to face off with total legends and not let that dog loose... Try to think how you would do today, if you were 18 and had to face opponents like SVB, and Dennis O. playing 9 ball... That arm might need a squirt of WD 40 and a whole jar of Vaseline on the elbow just to draw it back!!!

I'm for honoring the kid for what he accomplished... He played like a champion!!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I always enjoy your stories Keith and have a tremendous amount of respect for your accomplishments!!

Hope to meet you someday, keep the stories coming! :)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
All I can say about Squirrel is he went up against the best players in the world at Johnson city the year he won the 9 ball division and the all around world championship.. If you've never been on that big of a stage before and experienced first hand what it is to face off against the best the world has to offer, then I would suggest you cut Keith Thompson a little slack...

Just to give a little gravity to the feat he accomplished, let's put it in perspective... Here's a kid 18 years old who's been playing maybe 4 years tops and wins the 9 ball division ( race to 11 ) undefeated!!! It ain't like he drew a cakewalk bracket, this was a who's who of the best players in the world..

I believe it takes something special inside to face off with total legends and not let that dog loose... Try to think how you would do today, if you were 18 and had to face opponents like SVB, and Dennis O. playing 9 ball... That arm might need a squirt of WD 40 and a whole jar of Vaseline on the elbow just to draw it back!!!

Having been there as a 20 yr old and seen the kid win it, was a special time during the sixties/hippies, and the clashing of the depression era greats and the Boomers....................

Janscos had, long haired kids/hippies, playing with depression era Suited up Grown men, and then you have the dressed up Cardones, Rempe, Cole's and Florences knocking on the door$.

Lassiter/Balsis/Amadeo/Coslosky/Crane/Weenie Beanie/Cole Dixon/Sizemore/Ronnie Allen/Boston Shorty/Red Raider/Mexican Johnny/Ed Burton/Springfield Rifle/Ed Kelly/Richie Florence/Marino/Fats/ABC Wide World of Sports and many gamblers came and went, plus some golf course action. Three weeks of action and gin and the backroom/upstairs private card room, and back room ring games. After the win, the Hippie chicks were swooooooooning on the Squirrel, with his tassled looks and long brown hair. He was good looking, he was 18 :).