Mr. 600

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Reports are coming in saying John Schmidt just broke Mosconis record with 626. Thats 100 over the record. :eek:

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
If Capelle's report is true, then Schmidt's 626 would be the highest recorded attested run in history. A 626 on a 9' table is several orders of magnitude better than Mosconi's run. It's almost exponentially better. I'm presuming it was on a 9' table. But even if on an 8', it's still far better.

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If Capelle's report is true, then Schmidt's 626 would be the highest recorded attested run in history. A 626 on a 9' table is several orders of magnitude better than Mosconi's run. It's almost exponentially better. I'm presuming it was on a 9' table. But even if on an 8', it's still far better.

~Doc
He has been trying on a 9’ table with about 5” pockets as I understand it.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
What a feat ! 100 balls better. John deserves the record.

Doc, I don't know about the pockets size. I think they were smaller than 5".

I can not even imagine running 125 and out, much less 626.

Some records are not meant to be broken, and this may be one of them.

Congratulations, John.

beatle

Verified Member
he did run more than anyone ever. but didn't shatter the record.

mosconi did his in a public exhibition and was done on one try.

setting up a scenario and playing hours on end for weeks or more to do the run on your own set up table is something entirely different although a tremendous feat.

similar to trying to hit the longest home run. and setting it up on your home field and hitting for the fence hundreds or more times until you hit it as far and claiming a new record.

Gettherack

John u r the Man U truly love the game of 14.1 God bless your talent a Great Day for Pool !!!!!!!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
he did run more than anyone ever. but didn't shatter the record.

mosconi did his in a public exhibition and was done on one try.

setting up a scenario and playing hours on end for weeks or more to do the run on your own set up table is something entirely different although a tremendous feat.

similar to trying to hit the longest home run. and setting it up on your home field and hitting for the fence hundreds or more times until you hit it as far and claiming a new record.
Mosconi did thousands of exhibitions. He only ran 526 at one of them. And it was on an 8’ table. Yes, I know many times Mosconi simply quit his exhibition runs when he was satisfied for the spectators. So he probably *could have* had many other high or higher runs had he tried more often. But he didn’t, so he only left us with that one documented run of 526.

Schmidt did his differently, but there are two reasons that for me his run has as much or more validity than Mosconi’s — one being the obvious that Schmidt’s was on a 9’ table, as opposed to Mosconi’s being on an 8’ table. To my knowledge 8’ tables have NEVER been considered to meet professional standard for straight pool, so that is a pretty serious issue right off the bat. And the other being that it was recorded on video. I know there was a signed affidavit for Mosconi — but who knows if there were any little odd quirks like a miscount in the racks, or a non-called ball dropping instead of the intended ball, or a foul, etc; at least with Schmidt we should all be able to watch it for ourselves and make our own judgment. Frankly I trust my own eyes better than 50 or so fanboy signatures on an affidavit.