Mr. Gilmer passes

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Mr. R H "Professor" Gilmer passed this morning. He owned Southern Billiards in Starkville, MS for over 20 years. RH was not only a close personal friend but he was truly a friend of the world of pool. He will be sorely missed.

Pel

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Mr. R H "Professor" Gilmer passed this morning. He owned Southern Billiards in Starkville, MS for over 20 years. RH was not only a close personal friend but he was truly a friend of the world of pool. He will be sorely missed.

Pel

Sorry for your loss, Pel. R.I.P.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Pel, I'm just crushed to hear this. I appreciate your letting me know via Email. RH was a great guy, and a huge promoter of pool. He single-handedly kept Starkville, Miss. on the pool map for 20 years-- with tournaments, action, and promotion. Southern Billiards was a regular stop for road dogs.

He invented a computer program for ring games, which may still be in use today. He also had a computer run pari-mutual betting system for use at tournaments. His website, southernbilliards.yuku.com was one of the first pool sites, and has been a must-read for Dixie pool activity.

RH was the quintessential southern gentleman-- always with a wry smile and a good story. If he liked you, there was usually an invitation to join him in his office for a little sippin' whiskey.

There are simply very few left cast in RH's mold. Mississippi pool won't be the same without him.

Art "Doc" Tripp

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Pel

I never knew he was a poolroom owner but I always had a great respect for him after his post about the Buddy Hall/Mike LeBron dump of a tournament. It took guts to write this thread and the 3rd reply concerning the dump: http://southernbilliards.yuku.com/topic/1834?sms_ss=favorites&at_xt=4dec2968c3765762,1 and he would be attacked as ferociously as I was if he had written that here.

Sorry for your loss Pelican, he was a man with character. Pool needs more like him.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wow, that is very sad -- he seemed like one of the real good guys in pool. I first met him at Grady's Gulfport tournament in 2004. We kept in touch a little via the net and I saw him every now and then at Derby City. These photos are from the DCC back at the Ex West. His daughter is a pretty good player too. He helped Grady develop (or maybe the other way around) the progressive ring game format that they use every year for the Banks ring game at DCC. Plus I think he ran the Southern Billiards website, right? I did not realize he had a health issue. My sincere condolences to his many friends, and especially to his family.

Last edited:

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Thanks for posting the pictures Steve. You know RH loved the game of one pocket. He and Sonny Springer were both always glad to help an up and coming young player with there vast store house of knowledge. RH loved to teach, in fact his moniker "professor" is because he was a professor at Mississippi State University until he retired.

You are right about the sippin whiskey Doc. Got to be a ritual that I would take a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed when I would go up. We'd sit in the office and 'visit' and it would be pretty much gone by the time the tourney was over.

You all know I am not a very good player but just love pool. 9 ball is probably my worst game but once up there I actually finished in the money for 5/6 place in a B level tourney. I took the envelope that had my 'winnings' in it and framed it. Took it with me next time I went up and showed it to RH. He got the biggest kick out of that. He was truly a Southern Gentleman. I shore gonna miss him.

Later my friends, Pel

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
I met RH and his son Sam in San Antonio several years ago. I use to visit Southeran Billiards as the Poor Old Drunk Goose. I hope Sam is okay.

motorman

A True Southern Gentleman

A True Southern Gentleman

I had the pleasure of meeting the Professor at the inaugural ring game he developed at his Starkville, Ms. poolroom.

My son Jamie was among the five players invited to attend this ground breaking concept of pool. As Luck would have it Jamie perservered and won the contest. He defeated Jonathon Pinegar "Hennessy".

My son and I walked into R H's poolroom total strangers. We left 2 days later as a member of his Family. We were treated with respect and a genuine sense of friendliness.

I proudly wear his Tee Shirt given to me by him at the last DCC I attended.

Jamie and I are very proud to have know him. We also feel we are much better off havng been able to do so.

Our sincere condolences to his family.

Harry Farrell aka cooldudela
Jamie Farrell "the red rifle"

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
I was never lucky enough to meet Mr. Gilmer but first heard of him & Southern Billiards through his friend, $Bill Bell. Bill told me many stories about the action that made Southern Billiards a must stop for the road players & all the things Mr. Gilmer did for pool in Mississippi. Steve, I'll repost your pictures over at Facebook with a paragraph or so about his passing. RIP, Mr. Gilmer...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks for posting the pictures Steve. You know RH loved the game of one pocket. He and Sonny Springer were both always glad to help an up and coming young player with there vast store house of knowledge. RH loved to teach, in fact his moniker "professor" is because he was a professor at Mississippi State University until he retired.

You are right about the sippin whiskey Doc. Got to be a ritual that I would take a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed when I would go up. We'd sit in the office and 'visit' and it would be pretty much gone by the time the tourney was over.

You all know I am not a very good player but just love pool. 9 ball is probably my worst game but once up there I actually finished in the money for 5/6 place in a B level tourney. I took the envelope that had my 'winnings' in it and framed it. Took it with me next time I went up and showed it to RH. He got the biggest kick out of that. He was truly a Southern Gentleman. I shore gonna miss him.

Later my friends, Pel
As I recall it, RH is the one that introduced me to Sonny Springer, too. I think it was RH & Sonny and I and 'Little John' Machias that grabbed a meal together one night.

diamondave13

My condolences to yu Lil Sam and Melanie. He will be greatly missed for he was greatly loved and respected.