My 4 Rail Bank

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Here's an unusual and very effective 4 rail bank shot for one pocket that I came up with...after just a little practice, if you hit it halfway decent it ends up near or in your pocket, and it's just about totally safe.......None of the knowledgable one pocket or bank players that I've ever showed it to had seen it before ( including Freddy - I told him if he puts it in his next book, I want credit for it :heh )

Your pocket is A.....Applying maximum outside english, shoot the one ball straight ahead with a firm to forceful stroke, having it go two rails into the long rail about where I've positioned the two ball - the one ball will then turn over and hit the opposite long rail where I've positioned the three ball - the one ball will then turn over again and head on into your pocket...You want to just stop the cue ball dead on the rail where you struck the one ball for a safe leave....This shot will work best with fairly new/fast cloth.

Hey Donavan, I know you're going to take this shot for a test drive - I think you'll like it.

START(
START(
%Ar8O1%B^9Z9%CO8C9%Pp1W8%QA6[7

)END
)END

Last edited:

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
Hey Ghost, I just went out and worked with that shot, but I really had to hammer it to get it to my hole. My table is almost new and the cloth is average pool room speed 860. I was leaving too easy an out for the other guy.

The solution I came up with is this:

START(
%Ar9N5%Po8X5%Qg2C4%RB8L2%Tn4T6%Us1Q3%Vp1W8%Wp6D8%Xr6N0%eA8a3

)END

Hit with an easy, medium spin rail first to get the cueball to hit "A" then land down at "B", and the reverse keeps the 1 ball up table landing around "D". It works best for me because it's easy!...:D

Gerry

Last edited:

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
I just went out and tried it some more. My table is on the damp side being in FLA, and I can make the bank in the side 1 out of 3 times, but I need a 25 ounce cue to slug that bank in the corner....:D

Gerry

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
100andout said:
I just went out and tried it some more. My table is on the damp side being in FLA, I need a 25 ounce cue to slug that bank in the corner....:D

Gerry

Hey Gerry, That's why I said it's best to have new and fast cloth for this shot.....................ps, stop doing those bud light curls at the corner bar, and get over to the gym and do some curls with those 20 lb. barbells and you won't need to use that 25 oz. cue :)

Last edited:

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Gerry, That's why I said it's best to have new and fast cloth for this shot.....................ps, stop doing those bud light curls at the corner bar, and get over to the gym and do some curls with those 20 lb. barbells and you won't need to use that 25 oz. cue ^_^

Nah, I do the 1oz. curls.......like the Russians do:D

and my playing cue is only 18oz.....maybe thats the problem

G.

Donovan

Verified Member
From
Fort Worth, TX
Well, I did get to bank the heck out of this. I felt it was very tough to get it in the corner each time (as you said, cloth and so forth) and that it did sell out the cross bank sometimes. It was a struggle for me to say the least.

Then I started looking at what if the object ball was off anywhere from a half inch to an inch, then what could we do with it. I am thinking end game situation here too. I found hitting the object ball about 3/4 full with all right center spin. From the picture, I hope you can see the cue ball go to the far side rail and then spins back to the head rail. That spin also sends the OB 2 rails toward the whole. With the right speed, I was able to either make the OB or at least get it on or near the foot rail. It took me about 20 shots to get a feel for this and then it just kept working time after time, again and again. I like how the cue ball gets itself back to the head rail and the speed at which it gets there.

START(
%Ar5O1%Pp1W8%QA6[7%Us2L8%Vp8C6%Wh7D3%Xs3N5%YE0Z2%Zg5C5%eC4a3
%_p8D6%`r0N9%ap1W0
)END

Ok I am done rambling. See what you think?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Donovan said:
I started looking at what if the object ball was off anywhere from a half inch to an inch, then what could we do with it. I am thinking end game situation here too. I found hitting the object ball about 3/4 full with all right center spin. From the picture, I hope you can see the cue ball go to the far side rail and then spins back to the head rail. That spin also sends the OB 2 rails toward the whole. With the right speed, I was able to either make the OB or at least get it on or near the foot rail. It took me about 20 shots to get a feel for this and then it just kept working time after time, again and again. I like how the cue ball gets itself back to the head rail and the speed at which it gets there.

START(
%Ar5O1%Pp1W8%QA6[7%Us2L8%Vp8C6%Wh7D3%Xs3N5%YE0Z2%Zg5C5%eC4a3
%_p8D6%`r0N9%ap1W0
)END

Ok I am done rambling. See what you think?

If you don't have a kiss and you can control whitey, then your shot could be viable...There's a lot of variations of shooting that 2-railer.

Back to my 4 railer for a second...One of the strengths of the shot is that you don't have to let the cueball travel anywhere and be concerned about where it's going to end up - you get to just stop it dead on the rail where the object ball was struck.

Donovan

Verified Member
From
Fort Worth, TX
One Pocket Ghost said:
Back to my 4 railer for a second...One of the strengths of the shot is that you don't have to let the cueball travel anywhere and be concerned about where it's going to end up - you get to just stop it dead on the rail where the object ball was struck.

That is the part of that shot that is very enticing. I'm just not sure about the sell out factor compared to making it. I will be at a place with much faster cloth on Sunday and will try it there. :)

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
ghost , maybe I'm confused about your 4 railer , if its the shot I think it is the shot has been around since the game was invented . its usually played just to get your ball down table and its pretty safe using correct speed . if the table is real damp it has a good chance because the object ball will shorten up on the 4th rail instead of going long as it always does . you have to show me the shot at the poolroom because I do not know how to see the shot on this site . I'm computer ignorant ! errol and I were playing and he had shot and said this is your 4 railer you invented , but he did'nt shoot the shot . it has to be different shot than i'm thinking of cause freddy knows the same shot i'm thinking of and it sure is'nt new . philip

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JeaLouS44 said:
i'm new how do i see pic/diagram
How to use the WEI table:
1/ Click on the link in the upper right corner of the OnePocket.org message board screen, or this link:
http://onepocket.org/table/pooltable2.html
2/ If you see a table diagram, then you have the necessary "Flash" software on your computer for this to work; if you don't, you should see a message and link that will allow you to download the "Flash" program from Macromedia that is necessary for the WEI table to work
3/ Once you see the table, you will find that it is interactive: you can click on the balls and drag them around, click on the arrows to show ball movement and shot direction, click on the english diagram if you want, drag balls off the table, and even scroll the scoring wheels if you want
4/ To see someone else's diagram: Highlight and "Copy" all that gibberish text, then "Paste" it into the WEI page (using the Paste button on the diagram page), then hit enter a couple of times, and the diagram will take shape.
5/ You can then rearrange the diagram yourself if you want -- or create a totally fresh one. Once you have it set up the way you want and are ready to post it in a forum, then you reverse the process like this: Hit the "Copy" button on the WEI page, then go into your forum message and select Edit/Paste (or "Control V" -- the standard keyboard shortcut), and that gibberish text will be available to anyone else that has figured out how to use WEI.

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Here's an unusual and very effective 4 rail bank shot for one pocket that I came up with...after just a little practice, if you hit it halfway decent it ends up near or in your pocket, and it's just about totally safe.......None of the very-knowledgable one pocket or bank players that I've ever showed it to had seen it before ( including Freddy - I told him if he puts it in his next book, I want credit for it ^_^ )

Your pocket is A.....Applying maximum outside english, shoot the one ball straight ahead with a firm to forceful stroke, having it go two rails into the long rail about where I've positioned the two ball - the one ball will then turn over and hit the opposite long rail where I've positioned the three ball - the one ball will then turn over again and head on into your pocket...You want to just stop the cue ball dead on the rail where you struck the one ball for a safe leave....This shot will work best with fairly new/fast cloth.

Hey Donavan, I know you're going to take this shot for a test drive - let me know how you like it.

START(
START(
%Ar8O1%B^9Z9%CO8C9%Pp1W8%QA6[7

)END
)END

Call me conservative, but I think I like bunting. And if I were to shoot, I've had success pinching that two railer in. However, it does take a good imagination to have an edge in this game, and I'd like to think I've created a few shot of my own, as well.

Since this shot requires a lot of speed, I believe that the spin you are using is not needed, or will not affect the shot. Did you try shooting the shot with a half tip of spin instead of extreme spin? Did you get the same results?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
senor said:
Call me conservative, but I think I like bunting. And if I were to shoot, I've had success pinching that two railer in. However, it does take a good imagination to have an edge in this game, and I'd like to think I've created a few shot of my own, as well.

Since this shot requires a lot of speed, I believe that the spin you are using is not needed, or will not affect the shot. Did you try shooting the shot with a half tip of spin instead of extreme spin? Did you get the same results?

First of all, just to clarify...Sure you could play safe, anyone who goes back and reads my initial post will see that I never said that you SHOULD shoot this 4 railer in this situation - but I do and did say, that it's a viable and intriguing option if it's lying perfect.

As far as english, and the 2 railer as an alternative, every inch or half inch that we would move the cueball left or right would play into that, as would cloth speed and newness, so really we would need to be at the poolroom on a table to discuss it more thoroughly/effectively....

Re. shooting the 2 railer instead....the reason to choose the 4 railer is that with the angle I am talking about, if you shoot the 2 railer there is a chance of a double-hit-kiss while pinching the cueball/lengthening the angle of the shot, and if you do avoid the kiss, the cueball has to end up towards the middle of the bottom half of the table, a place/angle where your opponent will very likely have a cross corner bank if you miss....contrarily, the 4 railer leaves the cueball in a very safe position frozen on the bottom rail and leaving your opponent a desired narrow angle towards your pocket and the object ball.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
philip guagliardo said:
ghost , maybe I'm confused about your 4 railer , if its the shot I think it is the shot has been around since the game was invented . its usually played just to get your ball down table and its pretty safe using correct speed . if the table is real damp it has a good chance because the object ball will shorten up on the 4th rail instead of going long as it always does . you have to show me the shot at the poolroom because I do not know how to see the shot on this site . I'm computer ignorant ! errol and I were playing and he had shot and said this is your 4 railer you invented , but he did'nt shoot the shot . it has to be different shot than i'm thinking of cause freddy knows the same shot i'm thinking of and it sure is'nt new . philip

Phil, I'll show you at the pool hall.

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
First of all, just to clarify...Sure you could play safe, anyone who goes back and reads my initial post will see that I never said that you SHOULD shoot this 4 railer in this situation - but I do and did say, that it's a viable and intriguing option if it's lying perfect.

As far as english, and the 2 railer as an alternative, every inch or half inch that we would move the cueball left or right would play into that, as would cloth speed and newness, so really we would need to be at the poolroom on a table to discuss it more thoroughly/effectively....

Re. shooting the 2 railer instead....the reason to choose the 4 railer is that with the angle I am talking about, if you shoot the 2 railer there is a chance of a double-hit-kiss while pinching the cueball/lengthening the angle of the shot, and if you do avoid the kiss, the cueball has to end up towards the middle of the bottom half of the table, a place/angle where your opponent will very likely have a cross corner bank if you miss....contrarily, the 4 railer leaves the cueball in a very safe position frozen on the bottom rail and leaving your opponent a desired narrow angle towards your pocket and the object ball.

I hear you OPG, I'm not being critical. I was commenting on my nittiness more than anything.

Set up that two railer and practice hitting it with a little force follow and inside english, so that whitey travels to the long rail and then positions itself back where the object ball was. You don't have to leave whitey in the center of the table to beat the kiss.