Official 2020 One Pocket Hall of Fame Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is time for our nominations for the 15th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last 15 years we have elected many players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame, both for One Pocket and Bank Pool and for our Lifetime Pool in Action award. Yet there are many other Banks & One Pocket greats and action legends who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to this year's slate of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for our 2020 ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. Once we have sufficient nominations then the final list of candidates will be placed into the official Hall of Fame ballot, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this year's inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players
who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket & Banks.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of both One Pocket & Banks. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of these games are clearly invited too.

The 15th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Wednesday, May 20th, the evening prior to Buffalo's One Pocket major annual One Pocket tournament. Over the years the One Pocket HOF dinner has been a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Make your reservations early because there is limited room!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I've actually been thinking about this before today's announcement. I would like to nominate Alex Lely for his promotion of one pocket in Europe.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've actually been thinking about this before today's announcement. I would like to nominate Alex Lely for his promotion of one pocket in Europe.
That is a nice angle and I like it a lot! However I think he might need to keep at it a few more years to reach the "20 year" threshold that has been our standard :) But honestly, I love the idea!!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Once again I nominate macel camp to respect the greats from years past, all of his peers spoke of him among the best of his time

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Let's take a look at Alex -- he certainly has been around pool plenty long enough. And he sure loves action, so as I think about maybe I rushed to judge the 20 year thing. Certainly as you said, he appears to be the Euro leader and he is a great person for that, with a strong teaching angle! If we decide he qualifies in terms of time, I would be solidly on board supporting him.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Let's take a look at Alex -- he certainly has been around pool plenty long enough. And he sure loves action, so as I think about maybe I rushed to judge the 20 year thing. Certainly as you said, he appears to be the Euro leader and he is a great person for that, with a strong teaching angle! If we decide he qualifies in terms of time, I would be solidly on board supporting him.
Might be a great choice. Him and his crew are known to be fanatics among other Euros and he plays pretty darn good too.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
This is OK here, but I just noticed that I don't know how to send a PM, and couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, I want to suggest that the Hall of Fame page that shows all the individual photos be edited to include in photo captions nick-names or better-known names. (Cecil "Buddy" Hall ; Bill "Beenie Weenie" Staton, etc.)

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
just to be clear what is the 20 year criteria. Is it playing the game of one pocket or winning a tournament or 20 years of bringing something great and new to the game of one pocket.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Rethinking my choice...maybe wait a few yrs on Alex. Busty doesn't have the yrs yet and is still young. I think it's time for Mr Henderson to go in. His impressive resume goes back so many yrs its incredible. Wouldnt it be fun to put him and Ghosty in at the same time...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, every year we're faced with the proposition of trying to not to snub the earlier players, like Johnny Vevis, who won the first Johnston City tournament in 1961 (it was only 1P that year). Also it would be a shame to ignore other older time players like Marcel Camp, and even Johnny Ervolino. There are a couple of others.

Years back Steve had floated the idea of a "Heritage" category along with the other three. It might be a reasonable idea to reconsider it, especially since the old time players hardly get enough votes simply because most players today have not seen any of them play. However there are glowing references to them in some of Steve's interviews of the great names.

At any rate I hope some day all these great early players can get the recognition they deserve for advancing and spreading the game that we all love.

~Doc

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
just to be clear what is the 20 year criteria. Is it playing the game of one pocket or winning a tournament or 20 years of bringing something great and new to the game of one pocket.
20 years of significance in the big picture of the game. That’s what we have been going with. I should add that in the criteria. Those criteria were written 15 years ago 😀. The BCA I believe is at least 40 years old. I did t think age was as important as a long term commitment to the game — hence 20 years.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Well, every year we're faced with the proposition of trying to not to snub the earlier players, like Johnny Vevis, who won the first Johnston City tournament in 1961 (it was only 1P that year). Also it would be a shame to ignore other older time players like Marcel Camp, and even Johnny Ervolino. There are a couple of others.

Years back Steve had floated the idea of a "Heritage" category along with the other three. It might be a reasonable idea to reconsider it, especially since the old time players hardly get enough votes simply because most players today have not seen any of them play. However there are glowing references to them in some of Steve's interviews of the great names.

~Doc
i agree

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Well, I have to state that trying to have some nominations for the One Pocket HOF when last year James Walden goes in as Lifetime in Action is a joke. Seriously, I’d like to hear a decent answer on why he wouldn’t have gone in as a one pocket player.

I’m going to nominate:
Tony Chohan
Richie Richeson
“Hamburger” Pete Porter
Paul Bruseloff
Charles Cook
Sammy Blumenthal
Marcel Camp
“Dippy” Dave Peat
Alex Pagulayan
Dennis Orcullo
James Leone

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well, I have to state that trying to have some nominations for the One Pocket HOF when last year James Walden goes in as Lifetime in Action is a joke. Seriously, I’d like to hear a decent answer on why he wouldn’t have gone in as a one pocket player.

I’m going to nominate:
Tony Chohan
Richie Richeson
“Hamburger” Pete Porter
Paul Bruseloff
Charles Cook
Sammy Blumenthal
Marcel Camp
“Dippy” Dave Peat
Alex Pagulayan
Dennis Orcullo
James Leone
Had James Walden been nominated and supported by others, he would have been given consideration on one or more of our One Pocket ballots. You must have overlooked him lol. But Lifetime Pool in Action is still the One Pocket Hall of Fame -- that is not a joke Steve.

Regarding the other names you nominated, here are my thoughts:

• Tony Chohan -- probably does not meet the 20 year threshold. I met him in 2004 and he was a good young player but still emerging.
  • Richie Richeson -- he probably does qualify, although as much as I respect him, he is a little below the top tier players wouldn't you say?
  • “Hamburger” Pete Porter -- I don't know him
  • Paul Bruseloff -- we have had him on the short list for lifetime pool in action. He told me he doesn't want the spotlight essentially. If you can talk him into coming and accepting the award he could jump back up to the top of the short list.
  • Charles Cook -- Bucktooth -- yes he would fit given the action element
  • Sammy Blumenthal -- his name has probably come up in the past, but how much was One Pocket his main game? I thought it was Snooker
  • Marcel Camp -- perennial legacy candidate who by all accounts was an ambassador for the game; just tough to get traction and he had peers that are already in that our members apparently felt were a little better qualified. Not every really good candidate gets in.
  • “Dippy” Dave Peat -- probably does not meet the 20 year threshold
  • Alex Pagulayan -- great candidate and 2020 this year he is indeed eligible!
  • Dennis Orcullo -- I doubt meets the 20 year threshold
  • James Leone -- Is he the owner of Buffalo's? I don't know much about him but his room sure gets high marks!

BRLongArm

Verified Member

At any rate I hope some day all these great early players can get the recognition they deserve for advancing and spreading the game that we all love.

~Doc
Can someone give us a low-down on Marcel camp?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
If we have any Hall of Famers that could give us a narrative on Marcel Camp; his skills, his pedigree, who he beat that would be very helpful in determining his nomination.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Had James Walden been nominated and supported by others, he would have been given consideration on one or more of our One Pocket ballots. You must have overlooked him lol. But Lifetime Pool in Action is still the One Pocket Hall of Fame -- that is not a joke Steve.

Regarding the other names you nominated, here are my thoughts:

• Tony Chohan -- probably does not meet the 20 year threshold. I met him in 2004 and he was a good young player but still emerging.
  • Richie Richeson -- he probably does qualify, although as much as I respect him, he is a little below the top tier players wouldn't you say?
  • “Hamburger” Pete Porter -- I don't know him
  • Paul Bruseloff -- we have had him on the short list for lifetime pool in action. He told me he doesn't want the spotlight essentially. If you can talk him into coming and accepting the award he could jump back up to the top of the short list.
  • Charles Cook -- Bucktooth -- yes he would fit given the action element
  • Sammy Blumenthal -- his name has probably come up in the past, but how much was One Pocket his main game? I thought it was Snooker
  • Marcel Camp -- perennial legacy candidate who by all accounts was an ambassador for the game; just tough to get traction and he had peers that are already in that our members apparently felt were a little better qualified. Not every really good candidate gets in.
  • “Dippy” Dave Peat -- probably does not meet the 20 year threshold
  • Alex Pagulayan -- great candidate and 2020 this year he is indeed eligible!
  • Dennis Orcullo -- I doubt meets the 20 year threshold
  • James Leone -- Is he the owner of Buffalo's? I don't know much about him but his room sure gets high marks!
Dippy Dave? Give me a break!!!!!! K