Old friends

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
i was playing in a small One Pocket Tournament yesterday and I kept hearing the voices of my teachers.
Whether it was to make the ball I was shooting, or where to put the cueball "exactly " or whatever portion of the game I was focusing on .
My first great teacher was a guy they called George Dawg.
Never did know his real name but he was a fountain of pool knowledge to me.
I also learned quite a bit from a guy most never heard of named "Dutch" Milan.
Excellent player in the early 1960s , who quit pool for 25 years and earned a good living for himself and his family.
Then my best friend George Rood.
We spent several years together nearly every day in the 1990s until I got sick.
I learned a lot from George especially about how to win without doing cowardly things like sharking.
To just dig down and find the strength to battle adversity and get tough.
I really enjoyed being with them all day , and even though my broken body fights me every shot, they taught me to not give up and to make my opponent beat me.
They also taught me there is a lot more to one pocket than making fantastic shots,
Thanks my friends.
I hope to spend the day again with you soon.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
i was playing in a small One Pocket Tournament yesterday and I kept hearing the voices of my teachers.
Whether it was to make the ball I was shooting, or where to put the cueball "exactly " or whatever portion of the game I was focusing on .
My first great teacher was a guy they called George Dawg.
Never did know his real name but he was a fountain of pool knowledge to me.
I also learned quite a bit from a guy most never heard of named "Dutch" Milan.
Excellent player in the early 1960s , who quit pool for 25 years and earned a good living for himself and his family.
Then my best friend George Rood.
We spent several years together nearly every day in the 1990s until I got sick.
I learned a lot from George especially about how to win without doing cowardly things like sharking.
To just dig down and find the strength to battle adversity and get tough.
I really enjoyed being with them all day , and even though my broken body fights me every shot, they taught me to not give up and to make my opponent beat me.
They also taught me there is a lot more to one pocket than making fantastic shots,
Thanks my friends.
I hope to spend the day again with you soon.
Nice recollections, Billy but I hope for your sake you all are not reunited too soon!

pvclou

Verified Member
Old friends

I knew George Rood only very briefly in his last few years. I asked him about a shot I had read about in his interview on this site. He got up and showed me stuff for over an hour. (He was about 92 yrs old then).

He was an amazing person. Would you tell us some of your stories of George? What wisdom did he share with you?

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Nice recollections, Billy but I hope for your sake you all are not reunited too soon!

I was refering to spending another afternoon with the 2 who have passed in my thoughts.
I hope one day to run into George Dawg again , I think he quit playing years ago.
The other 2 I will see when I take my final nap.
Hopefully it will be a while.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I knew George Rood only very briefly in his last few years. I asked him about a shot I had read about in his interview on this site. He got up and showed me stuff for over an hour. (He was about 92 yrs old then).

He was an amazing person. Would you tell us some of your stories of George? What wisdom did he share with you?

I will try to write something soon.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Old friends

So... What was the shot?

pvclou

Verified Member
Old friends

It's a little hard to describe, but I'll try. Two balls are frozen to each other with one frozen to the foot rail. They are angled at roughly 45 degrees where the free OB doesn't go straight into your hole. The cue ball is a little more than a ball space from the rail..so that the object balls are angled away from it. The shot is to thin the OB on the rail so that it bumps out the free OB in time for the CB to knock it towards your pocket.

The shot is diagrammed in the interview. George credited Hayden lingo for showing him that shot, I think.

http://www.onepocket.org/GeorgeRoodInterview.htm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407322674.161247.jpg

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
If that shot was off 1/32 of an inch, it would not be possible. Besides, won't you give up a shot on the ball you thinned if you don't pocket the shot?

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
These shots work very well on the long rail near your pocket. :)
Rod

There goes Rod again, giving great tips! Thanks, Rod. I didn't think about that but now I'll be on the lookout.

Skin

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
It's a little hard to describe, but I'll try. Two balls are frozen to each other with one frozen to the foot rail. They are angled at roughly 45 degrees where the free OB doesn't go straight into your hole. The cue ball is a little more than a ball space from the rail..so that the object balls are angled away from it. The shot is to thin the OB on the rail so that it bumps out the free OB in time for the CB to knock it towards your pocket.

The shot is diagrammed in the interview. George credited Hayden lingo for showing him that shot, I think.

View attachment 10503
He taught me that shot also. after a while of practicing it , your confidence will build , when I see the right amount I am not afraid to play shape off the shot.
{As long as I am not blasting at it}

3RAILKICK

Verified Member

View attachment 10503

Great interview, thanks for the link, and to Steve for the posting and questions. Great read.