Old Pictures of Rags Fitzpatrick

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
I recently came across these two pictures of Johnny "Rags" Fitzpatrick, a player who many of the greatest one pocket players feel was the best ever -- even the late Beanie, who saw and played every great player in the last 50 years.

Both the pictures are from 1956, I think.

In the one picture, Rags is the man in the middle pointing at the camera. Left to Right: Irving Crane, Wimpy Lassiter, Mike Eufemia, Cowboy Jimmy, Unknown, Rags, Erwin Rudolph, Unknown, Willie Mosconi

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Pics

Pics

Great pictures, BP9B! What a line-up!! I've seen very few group pictures from the 1950's. It's almost as if everyone was flying below the radar. That's one of the few pictures I've seen of Rags F., and also Euphemia. Cowboy almost looks as if he could have been young once!

Doc

Tom

Verified Member
More on pix and Rags

More on pix and Rags

The second picture was the cover of Pool & Billiard Magazine (December 1999) and the other was used inside for the story "Legends of the Road: John 'Rags' Fitzpatrick."

There are a few others in the story as well.

Steve and I talked about posting the article here, especially in light of the fact that Rags somehow didn't make it in the Hall of Fame voting. In my view he should have been among the first inducted, and Steve and I concluded that he just needed some information currently available.

I think the article should be up shortly and I hope everyone enjoys it. It's #27 in the Legends series.

#51, on Danny Diliberto, appeared in April, and there are a couple more very close to completion. I'm always anxious to get whatever information is available, by the way, both for the series and for the Legends book I'm working on. I've contacted some of the Onepocket.org Forum posters and appreciate their help.

The requirements for the series are that the player be 65 or older (or deceased), and that they were a world class road player who didn't get the recognition and they deserved because they played undercover and rarely in tournaments.

Thanks,
Tom
P&B