onepocket.org

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
yea but they didnt go and beat the top players in the country on their home courts just the top area players and of course bbq-ed them all. but those two were certainly good enough to beat anybody except the best on their home court.

take artie for instance few wanted his action on his home table. but if he went to a neutral place he wouldn't like it. and was challenged many times to just that. not to take anything away from his speed though.

Name 1 example of when Artie wasn't on a, 'home table' where he refused action? Do YOU think he went around the, Southside or anywhere in Chicago or the country carrying a table on his back! LOL! Your statement is a little foolish. I'd bet, any info YOU have about Artie is ALL second and third hand!

I myself would find your statement more credible if not so anonymous.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I subscribed to Pat Fleming's Accustats newsletter and devoured the numbers as they came out. Buddy Hall always stood head and shoulders above the pack; people knew his game was superior and the numbers showed it. When I read about the antics of Efren's backers( "Where's the beef?"), especially in Texas, I was amazed that they made it out of there alive. :eek:
They were supposed to play the next day. Efren was ready to play, Red Walling had staked Buddy and wanted him to put up his end, buddy
wanted to be staked again, Red said no deal.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It must have been difficult for a player like Buddy Hall to balance the after hours action with tournament play. Was he the best at balancing the gambling with tournament success?
Buddy was wired and inspired, he would play for days, maybe why he weights 400#s now? Finally got his apatite back. :)

jd67

What about simultaneously playing the tournament and participating in the gambling after the tourney ended for the day? There is a post on AZ about McCready and someone mentioned how difficult it was for someone like Keith to stay up for a couple of days playing and then find yourself in the late stages of a tournament. A very difficult task.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
What about simultaneously playing the tournament and participating in the gambling after the tourney ended for the day? There is a post on AZ about McCready and someone mentioned how difficult it was for someone like Keith to stay up for a couple of days playing and then find yourself in the late stages of a tournament. A very difficult task.
Keith stayed up for the whole tourney in Baton Rouge, about 5days. I played him for 2 days, he the played Jerry Brock in the champs match
he lost both matches 11/10 He of course was on the winners side, he was the best player I've played. With rest he would likely beaten Jerry.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Keith stayed up for the whole tourney in Baton Rouge, about 5days. I played him for 2 days, he the played Jerry Brock in the champs match
he lost both matches 11/10 He of course was on the winners side, he was the best player I've played. With rest he would likely beaten Jerry.
I played Brock in Colorado Springs a week or so before he ''paid his dues'' jail time at Jimmy Gravels Place on E. Platte.
Couple sets, he was lighter when he left.
But when I first came to Colorado Springs in 71, got too see him play Dick Henry on a bar table on N. Nevada Andy DeJesus place, took em a loooooooong time to beat the crazy fat man, but his box game was pretty solid then.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I played Brock in Colorado Springs a week or so before he ''paid his dues'' jail time at Jimmy Gravels Place on E. Platte.
But when I first came to Colorado Springs in 71, got too see him play Dick Henry on a bar table on N. Nevada Andy DeJesus place, took em a loooooooong time to beat the crazy fat man, but his box game was pretty solid then.
Jerry had a great pool stroke, which never left him. He spent the last years of his life in Mobile, so I got to know him a little bit. We tried to get him a gig as house man at a former member's poolroom in TX, but it never materialized. He was an interesting guy, and had lots of good stories.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Jimmy Gravel was my favorite all time room owner and a good friend. Rough place at night when all the illegals came in so we usually broke up the golf game before dark. . Got real rough the last 6 months with all the fights and shootings out front. 3 or 4 years before i left i asked him to stake me a couple K so i could start a construction business. Needed it live on and to pay my help until the first job was done and the check came in. Gave me 800 extra because he knew i would need more. Refused the interest on the loan when i payed him back. Loved that guy and playing in the golf game there. Some of my best pool memories in that place.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Jimmy Gravel was my favorite all time room owner and a good friend. Rough place at night when all the illegals came in so we usually broke up the golf game before dark. . Got real rough the last 6 months with all the fights and shootings out front. 3 or 4 years before i left i asked him to stake me a couple K so i could start a construction business. Needed it live on and to pay my help until the first job was done and the check came in. Gave me 800 extra because he knew i would need more. Refused the interest on the loan when i payed him back. Loved that guy and playing in the golf game there. Some of my best pool memories in that place.
Never thought of this till now. When I first got to Colorado Springs there was a pool room on Nevada Ave downtown, that had no liquor and was run by Herman, who also sold guns to augment his biz. The first person I ever played/gamble with was Jimmy Gravel. There also was a 24 hr joint/bar tables only underneath the pool room, Herman was not part of the biz. Allot of bar table action then, and go a little further south was the pool room that was across the street from the titty bars, and that was where Wade Crane found his future wife, he dad built owned and raised his family because pool was Big back then, then Grady showed up from OK with Red, who was the den mother for a titty bar just 3 blocks east. :)