Re Edit of your top 10 at the end of 2020

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
I think there has been decent movement of this list the entire year, and it looks like Scott has been in the lab with what I would call a very impressive game plan and performance this weekend, he still made plenty of un-scott like errors throughout the match and still was pretty much right there at the end.

1. Alex Pagulayan
2. Dennis Orcullo
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Tony Chohan
5. Roberto Gomez
6. Chip Compton
7. Scott Frost
8. Shane Van Boening
9. Billy Thorpe
10. Warren Kiamco

here is the link to @BRLongArm thread on this earlier in the year, with his list below.

1. Alex Pagulayan
2. Dennis Orcullo
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Tony Chohan
5. Shane Van Boening
6. Corey Deuel
7. Roberto Gomez
8. Chip Compton
9. Evan Lunda
10. Justin Hall
11. Billy Thorpe
12. Joshua Filler
13. Scott Frost
14. Warren Kiamco
15. Danny Smith

Looks like some money games are in order to clean up the bottom half of the rankings this year.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
In my opinion...

1. Dennis Orcullo
2. Alex Pagulayan
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Tony Chohan
5. Joshua Filler
6. Scott Frost
7. Billy Thorpe
8. Roberto Gomez
9. Corey Deuel
10. Chip Compton
11. Justin Hall
12. Shane Van Boening
13. Danny Smith
14. Evan Lunda

I wouldn't put Warren Kiamco anywhere near these guys.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I do not think I can put filler on a list untill he plays more of a variety of players including tony again. I found that set to not in any way show tony close to his abilities. Filler is another one of those pool players who has such strong mechanics he can make bad choices and still do well but I would like to see him against a player like scott or dennis or alex who will never give him any air all and see how he fares.

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
I do not think I can put filler on a list untill he plays more of a variety of players including tony again. I found that set to not in any way show tony close to his abilities. Filler is another one of those pool players who has such strong mechanics he can make bad choices and still do well but I would like to see him against a player like scott or dennis or alex who will never give him any air all and see how he fares.

Yeah IMO you have to earn your way onto that list and it isn't just by beating a couple guys, so Filler would crack my top 15 just on pure outrageous ball running ability.

Scott was hard to place but I think he cant go in front of Chip until they play again, and Roberto has really been playing exceptional in 2020.

Until Dennis beats Alex for legit $$ he doesn't move up, he played a complete game to knock Alex to the losers side in the recent tourney in Illinois, but Alex came right back and just torched him in the finals like he was playing a Random Onepocket.org member.

Supposed to be a multi quote but my brain cant figure it out.

Reactions: lll

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida

Well, he's the best at the 8-and-out move. And that's enough to hold back just about anyone. The next time he plays Tony, he will have improved even more.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Well, he's the best at the 8-and-out move. And that's enough to hold back just about anyone. The next time he plays Tony, he will have improved even more.
I think filler has no limit to the level he can attain. He is as good a shooter as any one out there and has tremendous pool savy and his straight pool upbringing gives him such a lot of advantages in one pocket.

He should be fun to watch hopefully for years to come

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Justin Hall came in second at Derby and second at Scotty Townsend. He has to be in the top 10 if we care about tournament play at all.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Chip Compton beat Roberto in a gambling match race to 24 this year, so I would have to put Chip ahead of Roberto, but they'll settle it next month for sure.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
As for Filler, he is the wild card, isn't he? He could be top 5, or he could be top 20. When he gets back to America, he can make a Brinks truck of money if he can beat Chohan in New Orleans. That is the must see match of next year. Strong opinions on both sides make for a highly anticipated match. During the lockdown in April, Roy's Basement asked everyone in the top 10 except Alex and Dennis for a match for Filler and only Tony said yes. I heard Frost wanted to play him, but Filler can win $100,000 in New Orleans against Chohan. That's the match to book.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
it's tough, but if I had to pick a list I guess this would be mine:

1. Alex Pagulayan
2. Dennis Orcullo
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Tony Chohan
5. Scott Frost
6. Roberto Gomez
7. Justin Hall
8. Shane Van Boening
9. Corey Deuel
10. Chip Compton
11. Danny Smith
12. Billy Thorpe

That's 12, the only caveat is that Josh Filler goes somewhere in there lol. I dont think the match vs Tony in Roy's Basement can for sure tell us where he goes in that top 10-12 but he sure can pocket balls and run balls well. I am very eager to see him play Tony again.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah IMO you have to earn your way onto that list and it isn't just by beating a couple guys, so Filler would crack my top 15 just on pure outrageous ball running ability.

Scott was hard to place but I think he cant go in front of Chip until they play again, and Roberto has really been playing exceptional in 2020.

Until Dennis beats Alex for legit $$ he doesn't move up, he played a complete game to knock Alex to the losers side in the recent tourney in Illinois, but Alex came right back and just torched him in the finals like he was playing a Random Onepocket.org member.

Supposed to be a multi quote but my brain cant figure it out.
I think filler has no limit to the level he can attain. He is as good a shooter as any one out there and has tremendous pool savy and his straight pool upbringing gives him such a lot of advantages in one pocket.

He should be fun to watch hopefully for years to come
After you click the + QUOTE button next to all the quotes you want to include, at the very bottom of the editor there is a button labeled "INSERT QUOTES", when you click that it takes you to the quotes you have ready where you can rearrange the order or remove ones you dont want, then press insert quotes and they appear! Could be easier I suppose but that's the way it works. :)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Alex
Dennis
Francisco
Scott
Tony
Scott showed me a lot in his match. That he knows all types of one pocket games and is willing to play them all, exceptionally. It is really a coin flip with Alex and Dennis, depending on barometric pressure. Tony showed when it comes to banking, no one is better at it in one pocket.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Alex
Dennis
Francisco
Scott
Tony
Scott showed me a lot in his match. That he knows all types of one pocket games and is willing to play them all, exceptionally. It is really a coin flip with Alex and Dennis, depending on barometric pressure. Tony showed when it comes to banking, no one is better at it in one pocket.
Not just his accuracy, but his speed is amazing. He has the ball over the pocket if he doesn't make it more often than not.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
And I still wonder about Shannon Daulton. If he was playing at all regularly, I would think he would be close to top 5. But he seems to have retired to family and small business. Not a bad choice for him, but I sure miss his play!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think any of the top 20 can beat any of the top 20 on a given day, except for maybe Alex, Dennis, Busty in my opinion...when that individual is "playing well" they are going to be tuff for any of the others to beat.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
My list at this point in 2020:

1. Alex Pagulayan
2. Dennis Orcullo
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Tony Chohan
5. Shane Van Boening
6. Chip Compton
7. Scott Frost
8. Roberto Gomez
9. Corey Deuel
10. Justin Hall
11. Billy Thorpe
12. Joshua Filler
13. Evan Lunda
14. Warren Kiamco
15. Danny Smith

The top 4 is pretty solid. The next 11 are interchangeable depending on the month. Compton and Gomez are the two who have improved the most in the last year, with Filler coming on strong as well. Filler could be much higher, based on pedigree, but I just haven't seen enough. Frost proved he still has it in his match with Chohan. Frost v. Compton or Deuel would be good TV. I think Roberto looks at Frost as a mentor, so no action with those two right now. Also could see Lunda v. Billy Thorpe soon. Thorpe beat him pretty bad a couple years back. I have to put Billy in the top 12 based on his Derby City win, but I think almost everyone on this list would play him in a long set. That's good for Billy. It's good to be underestimated in pool.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
My list at this point in 2020:

1. Alex Pagulayan
2. Dennis Orcullo
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Tony Chohan
5. Shane Van Boening
6. Chip Compton
7. Scott Frost
8. Roberto Gomez
9. Corey Deuel
10. Justin Hall
11. Billy Thorpe
12. Joshua Filler
13. Evan Lunda
14. Warren Kiamco
15. Danny Smith

The top 4 is pretty solid. The next 11 are interchangeable depending on the month. Compton and Gomez are the two who have improved the most in the last year, with Filler coming on strong as well. Filler could be much higher, based on pedigree, but I just haven't seen enough. Frost proved he still has it in his match with Chohan. Frost v. Compton or Deuel would be good TV. I think Roberto looks at Frost as a mentor, so no action with those two right now. Also could see Lunda v. Billy Thorpe soon. Thorpe beat him pretty bad a couple years back. I have to put Billy in the top 12 based on his Derby City win, but I think almost everyone on this list would play him in a long set. That's good for Billy. It's good to be underestimated in pool.

I am surprised you still have SVB that high. I have not been as impressed tbh but I know he is a straight shooting phenom...

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I am surprised you still have SVB that high. I have not been as impressed tbh but I know he is a straight shooting phenom...
He knows the game a lot better than five years ago. His execution is great, he banks great and he runs balls great. I watched him in this last one pocket tournament and he got out of some brutal traps that most would not have. That was the only thing I questioned in the past. He knows the game and his execution is second only to Tony in American players. Frost and SVB would be a good match, but it doesn't look like Shane cares about gambling at one pocket.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
I think I was out of line excluding Warren Kiamco from the top 15 list. I finally got to watch some West Coast Swing matches and came to realize he knows the game really well and executes equally as well.