"Road Player" Danny DiLiberto

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
A fantastic read and worth the price. I happen to be re-watching the Ronnie Allen/Danny DiLberto challenge match from 1988 and it certainly set the tone. :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
scotttheshooter said:
A fantastic read and worth the price. I happen to be re-watching the Ronnie Allen/Danny DiLberto challenge match from 1988 and it certainly set the tone. :D
Scott, where did you purchase the book?

Thanks~ Doc

yobagua

I recently picked up a copy in Louisville. You should be able to get them from Accustats soon. I talked with Danny about the book recently. I thought it was a quick entertaining read but did not really talk about Danny the Man as I know him. A great champion and road warrior. He has a lot more stories in him and a lot could be said about the quality of the individual and what makes him tick. A stronger writer could have helped steer him into a more in depth study of the guy and the pool world. Too bad McCumber of "Playing on the Rail" never hooked up with him. I told Danny he should think about a second one.

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
Bebob Publishing

Bebob Publishing

gulfportdoc said:
Scott, where did you purchase the book?

Thanks~ Doc

Doc-

Bebop Publishing shipped me a copy autographed by Danny and Jerry Forsyth.

I hope Danny is getting some type of royalties off this deal.

How do Freddy B. and Danny D. get along? - A collaboration of those two called "Dueling Road Stories" would be a must on my purchase list!!!! :D

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
scotttheshooter said:
Doc-

I see that the Bebop Publishing site is not up yet. Do you have a URL for them? How much was the book?

Thanks~ Doc

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
Oops - Its Bebobpublishing.com - not Bebop

Oops - Its Bebobpublishing.com - not Bebop

gulfportdoc said:
I see that the Bebop Publishing site is not up yet. Do you have a URL for them? How much was the book?

Thanks~ Doc

Bebobpublishing.com

That's Bob Henning that wrote the Pro Book and Advanced Pro Book. I think he also published the Cornbread Red book.

If I had one dissapointment, and I hate to even call it that, I would have loved to hear more details about the Ronnie Allen match in Phoenix. A lot of the big name players were in town for the match....McCready, Mr. Staton, UJ Puckett etc etc. Listening to the banter and repartee between Danny and Ronnie - it was surely seemed like there was a lot of emotion between those two.

Plus - you KNOW there had to be some other serious playing/gambling going on.

I have been told by an unimpeachable source - that one of the matches involving one of the afore mentioned players had not a dump, or a double dump but a "triple dump" in play.

IMO - Danny D's commentary on the 1P Accustats matches is SECOND TO NONE. It was very cool to get a little more insight into his personality by reading his book.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Since Congress Bowl

Since Congress Bowl

scotttheshooter said:
Doc-

I hope Danny is getting some type of royalties off this deal.

How do Freddy B. and Danny D. get along? - A collaboration of those two called "Dueling Road Stories" would be a must on my purchase list!!!! :D

Danny and I have been good friends since the Congress Bowl in Miami in the 60s. Danny beat everybody that came through Fla in those days. We both shared the same road partner on and off in those days, the infamous Sugar Shack Johnny Novak.

the Beard
Bank on, brothers!

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
fred bentivegna said:
Danny and I have been good friends since the Congress Bowl in Miami in the 60s. Danny beat everybody that came through Fla in those days. We both shared the same road partner on and off in those days, the infamous Sugar Shack Johnny Novak.

the Beard
Bank on, brothers!

Sir Beard

It does seem like you did an Accustats commentary with Danny and you guys teamed up pretty well.

"Dueling Road Stories" Feel free to use that title on the new book. No charge-just perhaps an autographed copy free gratis upon publication :D

cobby

Verified Member
Ronnie/Danny match

Ronnie/Danny match

This is one good match that everyone should see..5 dvds of great trash talking 1 pocket action..

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
"Road Player"

"Road Player"

I enjoyed reading Diliberto's book-- mostly because I've had some interesting experiences with him myself, and also because reading about any pool road stories or hustling is absorbing.

Unfortunately the book suffered from the lack of a professional writer. Even the tales that should have "told themselves" tended to be lackluster. Some of the stories were adequately set up, but then had no gratifying punchline.

I'm glad that Danny was able to clear up his name from that drug story from awhile back.

I didn't realize, until I spoke with Bob Henning about the subject of pool books, how risky it is to publish one. He said that a runaway best seller pool book would expect to sell maybe 5000 copies. So when the overhead is figured in (including the time spent writing and editing), there's not much likelihood of significant profits.

Doc

mosconiac

Verified Member
cobby said:
This is one good match that everyone should see..5 dvds of great trash talking 1 pocket action..
Where would one find a copy of said DVD set?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
one-pocket match- DiLiberto & Ronnie Allen

one-pocket match- DiLiberto & Ronnie Allen

I own all 5 tapes of this match and they are now of poor quality due to age. I searched for a dvd set and all I could find was a condensed version. I do not recall right now where I saw it for sale but it can't be too hard to search for online.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
I own all 5 tapes of this match and they are now of poor quality due to age. I searched for a dvd set and all I could find was a condensed version. I do not recall right now where I saw it for sale but it can't be too hard to search for online.

I believe Jay Helfert may still have some for sale. PM him. I have converted all mine to DVD, but I cannot sell them due to copyright laws.

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
Alfie Taylor's back around..."big deal"

Alfie Taylor's back around..."big deal"

Hello OnePocket.org...and Steve
Thanks for letting me join up. I only met Danny once. He say's "Yous guys" and I say "yall" so our paths didn't cross much, even though the time periods matched. Ronnie was my good friend...except when he was torturing me (at eight to five) in CA. I beat guys he played nine to seven but Ronnie's fierce play and nonstop banter turned me into a deer in the headlights. To watch him play in the sixties, people should have paid admission.
Anyhoo, I would like to know where to order the book on these two legends, please.

I recently wrote one about my own time crossroading called
The Other Side Of The Road...A Pool Hustler's Tale.
Lou Figueroa gave it a great review on azbilliards.com. and even though the initial printing is sold out, the review has sent me a lot of pre-orders...not to mention, this posting is a blast.
Keep it nice. Alfie