Ronnie's 'special' cue for one-handed play

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
I'm hoping someone can provide more info on the cue that Ronnie Allen used for one-handed play. Back in the day, I'm sure he could whoop most everyone one-handed regardless of what kind of cue he used, but I've heard it mentioned a few times that he had a 'special' weighted cue/shaft. Does anyone know more about this?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
twister said:
I'm hoping someone can provide more info on the cue that Ronnie Allen used for one-handed play. Back in the day, I'm sure he could whoop most everyone one-handed regardless of what kind of cue he used, but I've heard it mentioned a few times that he had a 'special' weighted cue/shaft. Does anyone know more about this?

Yes, he had a special shaft that he used when matching games where he played with the shaft only. He also sometimes held a roll of dimes in his hand behind the shaft.
Rod.

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
If he played with that shaft on a cue too, then I'm sure it was probably heavy to the front. WHich would make sense...forward weight should help the delivery...at least thats what my brain fart tells me lol. I dink around with shooting jacked up at the house and the cues that have a more forward balance seem to be easier to deliver a good shot. The butt heavy ones i find i end up stabbing at it more. Its fun lol, especially when i get a phone call and don't feel like putting down the cue lmao

jay helfert

Verified Member
I have that shaft made by Billy Stroud, especially for Ronnie's one handed games. It weighs 16 oz. and is almost like playing with a regular cue one handed.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jay helfert said:
I have that shaft made by Billy Stroud, especially for Ronnie's one handed games. It weighs 16 oz. and is almost like playing with a regular cue one handed.

Short war story.

About 8-10 years ago, RA and I had a pre-arrainged match, to play even 1P, at Tommy DeLorenzo's brand new classy joint in Tempe. Word got out, and every railbug in town was there to sweat it.
Tommy will remember this..as he was staking RA. I had recently beaten RA a few times, and his game was not that strong at that time. He had gone "over the hill", sooner than I had. (go figure)

My friend (and financier...who shall go un-named) gave me a real pep talk on the drive over there. Bear down, he said, "Don't give this
Mother-F**ker no air at all, play your best, yada, yada yada...."Goddammit, I need this money real bad."

I played my little heart out, and destroyed him two race's in a row, for 1K each...and Tommy pulled up.

I'm sitting in the bar afterwards, having a drink with Tommy D, and I look out the window of the enclosed bar, and I see my "road partner", and RA playing each other. I'm not alarmed, I figure they are playing for a few bucks a game, because my pard was a guy I could easily give, like 15 to 5...and win. He could not even spell "one pocket".

I watch a game or two, and see my pard' lose both games. I also see RA is shooting one-handed, and just toying with him. Tommy keeps setting them up for me, but eventually, I have to go down, and see whats going on.

I ease up to my "road partner" to see what's up, and he says "This washed up old f**k cannot possibly win, I'm GIVING him ONLY 9/7, and the dumb ass is shooting ONE HANDED, and he can't even rest on the rail !!!"

I'm not alarmed, cause I figure I'll let RA win a little walking stick, and save me the bite. I says casually, "whatcha playing for" ?... He say's "Race to 7 for 2K...relax, I got he nuts." This happened to be exactly what I had just played my guts out to win.

I did not lose my composure, I simply went back to the bar, and told Tommy I was going to kill both him and RA, if they did not cut me in.

Tommy agreed, RA balked...so I killed him !!! (well, at least I did bitch slap him, and we didn't speak for a few weeks)

Moral of the story...I blame myself...I should have known better than to leave my naive stakehorse,... unattended, when dealing with a sneaky Pirahnna, and an assh*** F-ing Barracuda. :cool:

PS..I have never been a vindictive person, but I did avenge that transgression...Just last week, I refused RA's latest bite attempt...;)

Last edited: