TOM vs JEFF

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Shoot the 6? (solid closest to CB) into the ball in Jeff's pocket with some speed using all LHE, CB to my long rail and spin down between 11 and 1 to my long rail and settle on foot rail.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Shoot the 6 with allot of speed, pocket the hanging ball, use allot of 9 o'clock with an aggressive follow through swing, hit other long rail, bring cue ball to foot of table.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
If I can get a legal hit on the 6 off the 7 combo and lay him behind the 15 this is my shot. If not, I am going to take an intentional and freeze him to the 6. I want to spot a ball to protect against the 2 ball on the spot and extend the game by a ball.

Attachments

• tom jeff wwyd.png
    tom jeff wwyd.png
    634.4 KB · Views: 4

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I would aim the 6 7 combo at about half ball hit and follow the cue ball into the stripe in the corner. applying enough force for the 6 and the 7 to both go to rails to my side but not near the foot rail

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I too like the take-out shot. But if the angle allows for it, I'd be inclined to draw the CB back to the first diamond on the head rail. I don't think Jeff would shoot the low percentage 15/7 combo.

It would be nice to follow/bank the CB to the foot rail, but the angle looks wrong to me from this photo.

Of course Tom is a great shot maker, so he could pocket the 5 ball. But I doubt that he would consider it in this situation.

baby huey

Verified Member
Push the six ball up on the seven ball as an intentional scratch and spot a ball. That limits Jeff's ability to run any balls. The new score will be 4 balls to 2 balls Jeff's favor. Stay in the game.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Being that close to the 6, I would use extreme rhe draw, which allows me to hit the 6 thicker, which enables me to draw back to the head rail and hold the cb there behind the 12/4. The 6 makes the ball in the hole and clears out. Whitey

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I think BJ's shot, kicking in the 9 ball, would be the best shot, but I'm not sure it's there. I might roll the 1 ball into the side pocket, off the 13 and leave Jojo down low. Concede the 9 ball and leave the table as it lays now, except with two balls on the spot.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Lots of good shots here. Here's the put-in, style 1:

CropperCapture[139].jpg

Put-in style 2 (my choice on first viewing):

CropperCapture[138].jpg

I like the idea of fouling while tying up the 6-7 but if I hit it a little wrong it can leave a free shot or a combo to the 9. I'd have the same problem playing the 6 into the 7 harder and trying to freeze on the 15 -- too much chance of leaving the 15-9 combo.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
the kick doesn't look easy to me, its not natural so the LHE you have to apply could be touchy...

But I guess if you miss it completely, you spot a ball and he can only get the 9 ball anyways, since you just spotted a ball behind the 2, so in that regard its not bad.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Take a foul to here. Spot a ball which protects the spotted ball and provides more cover. Force him to make the bank combo but tough to get more than 2.

1602618255575.png

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Push the six ball up on the seven ball as an intentional scratch and spot a ball. That limits Jeff's ability to run any balls. The new score will be 4 balls to 2 balls Jeff's favor. Stay in the game.
I really like this shot I feel like it is almost all low percentage shots to take make the ball and leave the cue ball safe so the next best thing is to tie up balls and get a ball on the spot.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
the kick doesn't look easy to me, its not natural so the LHE you have to apply could be touchy...
I think you have to go to the right of the 11 so it looks like this with left...

CropperCapture[141].jpg

And while the 2-railer is on along nearly the same path, I trust my 1-railer more if I'm going to kick it in.

CropperCapture[143].jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bob
why do you trust the 1 railer more? it requires extreme spin and maybe alittle draw to lengthen it
is it because the plus 2 is at the extreme of the system??
you play billiards well so i know you are familiar with the rails

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
bob
why do you trust the 1 railer more? it requires extreme spin and maybe a little draw to lengthen it
From there with extreme spin, I think I can shoot to the right of the second diamond ( a little farther from the 11) and get to the 9, so I consider that only moderate spin. I routinely shoot that kind of shot in practice, generally when I've missed a ball and hung it in the corner. The other way I'll shoot at the hung ball is to play the cue ball roughly through where the 5 is with right draw and bend the cue ball around the 2.

When the cue ball is close to the first rail on any kick shot it is very likely that the ball will have a different spin than if you start back a couple of diamonds or so. Try the +2 when the cue ball is a ball from the first cushion. Since you are usually not that close to the first rail, it is harder to judge.