Top U.S. players 2020: Comments welcome

BRLongArm

Verified Member
1. Tony Chohan-Won 2016 Buffalo's Pro Classic, Action warrior and no American is playing him. Beat Chip Compton in a race to 24 this year.
2. Shane Van Boening Three time Derby City Champion, plays very little one pocket other than Derby and US Open.
3. Corey Deuel-Derby City Champion, great tournament player. Always underrated.
4. Evan Lunda-Most improved American in last three years. All the talent is there, but can he focus like a champion?
5. Chip Compton-Another improving player. Plays Roberto Gomez August 7, 2020.
6. Justin Hall-2018 Buffalo's Pro Classic Champion, 2nd in Derby City 2020, 2nd in Scotty Townsend 2020. Great all around player, but erratic.
7. Billy Thorpe-Two time Derby winner, Scotty Townsend winner. Has great game for tournaments. Can he beat the killers in a long race?
8 .Scott Frost- Hall of Famer, Former Derby City Champion. Can still play, but is the hunger still there?
9. Danny Smith-Great player, when he is playing. Seems to have lost the passion for one pocket.
10. Justin Bergman-Underrated straight shooter.

Honorable Mention: Roberts, Gray, Brown, Owen, Daulton, Bowman

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I agree with ghost about skylar and schmidt and my order may be slightly different, maybe evan goes down a notch or two and billy down one or two. Not sure I would have Bergman in the top 10, maybe Daulton...but still great list as always Joe! Wouldn't JJ get an honorable mention too? He still plays pretty well and his knowledge is world class.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I agree with ghost about skylar and schmidt and my order may be slightly different, maybe evan goes down a notch or two and billy down one or two. Not sure I would have Bergman in the top 10, maybe Daulton...but still great list as always Joe! Wouldn't JJ get an honorable mention too? He still plays pretty well and his knowledge is world class.

Schmidt is one heck of a good player and is underrated as a 1P player, maybe because he’s kinda like SVB and just doesn’t care for it as much as we would like them too.

Evan can beat anyone on that list but just can’t keep it together for more than a day or two.

Danny, how the mighty has fallen. I really like Danny, he’s always very nice and a great guy to play. I have no idea what happened to him other than the New Orleans curse.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Schmidt is one heck of a good player and is underrated as a 1P player, maybe because he’s kinda like SVB and just doesn’t care for it as much as we would like them too.

Evan can beat anyone on that list but just can’t keep it together for more than a day or two.

Danny, how the mighty has fallen. I really like Danny, he’s always very nice and a great guy to play. I have no idea what happened to him other than the New Orleans curse.
Last time I witnessed Danny playing in person was when he was here in northern ky playing leek by the rail bumps. When they were done I was asking him about one pocket and he said something like, 'oh one pocket, yea I used to play that game...' and this was probably almost 2 years ago, so I think he has been losing or lost interest in the game for some time now, but I agree jim, he has tons of talent!

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Last time I witnessed Danny playing in person was when he was here in northern ky playing leek by the rail bumps. When they were done I was asking him about one pocket and he said something like, 'oh one pocket, yea I used to play that game...' and this was probably almost 2 years ago, so I think he has been losing or lost interest in the game for some time now, but I agree jim, he has tons of talent!
How did he end up with leek?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
1. Tony Chohan-Won 2016 Buffalo's Pro Classic, Action warrior and no American is playing him. Beat Chip Compton in a race to 24 this year.
2. Shane Van Boening Three time Derby City Champion, plays very little one pocket other than Derby and US Open.
4. Evan Lunda-Most improved American in last three years. All the talent is there, but can he focus like a champion?
6. Justin Hall-2018 Buffalo's Pro Classic Champion, 2nd in Derby City 2020, 2nd in Scotty Townsend 2020. Great all around player, but erratic.
7. Billy Thorpe-Two time Derby winner, Scotty Townsend winner. Has great game for tournaments. Can he beat the killers in a long race?
8 .Scott Frost- Hall of Famer, Former Derby City Champion. Can still play, but is the hunger still there?
9. Danny Smith-Great player, when he is playing. Seems to have lost the passion for one pocket.

I believe Jason Brown is in the top ten, around six or seven for sure. Jason moves as good as any player alive and strikes balls very good, not excellent but very good.

Dr. Bill

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
How did he end up with leek?
I forget to be honest, I know they have played at least 2 times, maybe 3 and I think they may have each won one of the days or nights they played, I also think danny may have been giving up a little weight, but they both play it good that's for sure!

baby huey

Verified Member
It's hard to argue with the list as it would change from match to match or tournament to tournament. For One Pocket, I totally agree with the top three choices but one can make the case that the next seven would switch places more often than not.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I believe Jason Brown is in the top ten, around six or seven for sure. Jason moves as good as any player alive and strikes balls very good, not excellent but very good.

Dr. Bill

I had him on the list originally, but he just doesn't play enough anymore to merit top 10. He's kind of like Daulton or Owen. Hell when he's playing, but almost never plays.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Skyler should be in there somewhere. Although he's not won any major tournaments he's certainly beat many players on this list as well as the world list in tournaments. I rate him at #2 banker in the USA if not the world, slightly behind Billy. I also rate him as a better one pocket player than Billy.. He's one of our best ball strikers as well as a recent DCC all around champion. I'd like to see him match up with some of these players playing one pocket but he seems to have more profitable interests.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I also think Skyler is underrated, but if he banks that well, he should be trying to take off Justin Hall or Danny Smith or Chip Compton or any of a half dozen other great bankers who would bet pretty good money. As for one pocket, he is a straight shooter, but if he isn't trying to match up with these guys, there is probably a reason.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

i'd include alex olinger and robert frost on the honorable mention list....

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
i'd include alex olinger and robert frost on the honorable mention list....
If you are going to add those guys you can't leave off Shannon Murphy...

Before chohan beat dennis and started playing these challenge matches, there was talk of a match between Murphy and chohan. If I heard right, Murphy was giving 9/8 up in banks and getting 9/8 in one pocket. That was back then, and although shannon can bank with anyone, I don't think he can get there only getting 98 in 1p but who knows...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
It's hard to argue with the list as it would change from match to match or tournament to tournament. For One Pocket, I totally agree with the top three choices but one can make the case that the next seven would switch places more often than not.
Good point Jerry, also, after you settle on a top 10, you probably have another 10 (most mentioned here) who could be in the top 10 at a given time depending on how they are playing.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
What do you guys think about Filler? I haven't seen much 1p out of him, but didn't he take down Chohan recently? Maybe he's not developed enough at 1p to merit consideration on even a top 25 list, but the guy is a phenomenal pool talent.

The thread is about US players, however Filler should be considered a Top 15 maybe top 10 in the world already.