Top U.S. players 2020: Comments welcome

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
No, I don't think he is in the top 20 in the US in any cue sport discipline.

He's one of those players, that's at the next level below the best. Not many would like giving em weight. I've seen em give Frost all he can handle and more. Hee's definitely a better rotation player and shot maker than Scott. My info is based on watching his play in 2016 in AZ.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
My opinion is this. Justin, Evan and Danny are obviously great players and in any one match could be top 3 or better in the US , but the lack of discipline and professionalism that comes with the three players makes them very inconsistent wildcards. Its just hard to rank them. I sure as heck wouldn't bet my money on any of them.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I played him some 1p even and cheap last year, so probably not the best test of his true speed, but my observation and experience is that I could hang with him in the moving part of the game, but he would make pretty much whatever he shot at, and he got to the first shot more often than I did, so you can guess how that worked out. Nice guy. Plays fast too...no looking 'em over. Pretty sure he prefers rotation, and for good reason. He's not in the top 20 1p players.

fwiw, John Schmidt should easily be in the top 10 list. Evan isn't quite there yet.

He's one of those players, that's at the next level below the best. Not many would like giving em weight. I've seen em give Frost all he can handle and more. Hee's definitely a better rotation player and shot maker than Scott. My info is based on watching his play in 2016 in AZ.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I guess I have not witnessed justin play top level. I still think he is a top 10 us player but I don't think he can beat Tony, from what I have seen.. but you guys have seen him play more than me.. plus I think joe is a real good handicapper and judge of one's speed...

BRLongArm

Verified Member
This year, he came 2nd in Derby City and 2nd in Scotty Townsend. He's the real deal, but he has to have his mixture right. He's the only one outside the top three that has won at Buffalos, and he went through a murderer's row to get there. He beat Chip, then Dennis, then Corey, then Tony twice!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
This year, he came 2nd in Derby City and 2nd in Scotty Townsend. He's the real deal, but he has to have his mixture right. He's the only one outside the top three that has won at Buffalos, and he went through a murderer's row to get there. He beat Chip, then Dennis, then Corey, then Tony twice!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
State of mind plays big imo... at the top level in pool and golf in particular, one must have his mind right... Concentration must be 100% along with confidence in ones ability to win against whoever the opponent might be... When any one of them gets in that type of zone, they can win... especially if they aren’t afraid or intimidated by who they are playing, then they can win... Justin Hall could be one of the best, for whatever reasons, he chooses not to... could be commitment, could be just simply a lack of desire to put in the effort he knows it demands, who knows? Getting to a consistent top 3 ranking for the year takes more than some can give, or more than they are willing to give.... Justin is still young enough to chase life outside of the poolroom and talented enough to settle down later in his life and become a top 3 one pocket player... Question is... Will he...

baby huey

Verified Member
I like Justin's game but IMO he does only one thing top shelf and that is banking the ball. Of course that banking ability will always make him a serious threat but in a long drawn out set with the top three, he will not prevail. I don't believe he has the physical and mental stamina to stay in a dog fight with the others. Top ten at best.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
State of mind plays big imo... at the top level in pool and golf in particular, one must have his mind right... Concentration must be 100% along with confidence in ones ability to win against whoever the opponent might be... When any one of them gets in that type of zone, they can win... especially if they aren’t afraid or intimidated by who they are playing, then they can win... Justin Hall could be one of the best, for whatever reasons, he chooses not to... could be commitment, could be just simply a lack of desire to put in the effort he knows it demands, who knows? Getting to a consistent top 3 ranking for the year takes more than some can give, or more than they are willing to give.... Justin is still young enough to chase life outside of the poolroom and talented enough to settle down later in his life and become a top 3 one pocket player... Question is... Will he...
Tap, Tap, Tap.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I played him some 1p even and cheap last year, so probably not the best test of his true speed, but my observation and experience is that I could hang with him in the moving part of the game, but he would make pretty much whatever he shot at, and he got to the first shot more often than I did, so you can guess how that worked out. Nice guy. Plays fast too...no looking 'em over. Pretty sure he prefers rotation, and for good reason. He's not in the top 20 1p players.

fwiw, John Schmidt should easily be in the top 10 list. Evan isn't quite there yet.
If you think Schmidt will beat Evan, I'd put Evan in the box.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
You've seen Evan much more than I have, so your evaluation is more informed than mine. From what I saw last year, he's got enormous talent but maybe not enough discipline to give his talent the best chance to prevail against the better players when he has to grind. John is disciplined, more than willing to grind, shoots great. I'd like to see them match up.
If you think Schmidt will beat Evan, I'd put Evan in the box.