Varner vs. Pagulayan

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nick Varner has been the subject of a thread. So since it's been a little slow, here is a WWYD from a finals battle between Nick and Alex.

It's early in the first game. There has just been an intentional safety battle, which culminated in Alex pocketing the 12 in the corner, leaving the CB where it is now. Alex hasn't yet spotted up the 12. Score -1 to -1. What did Nick do here? What would YOU do? ~Doc

Varner 1.jpg

Kybanks

Verified Member
I am shooting the 13 ball and getting the cb to the end rail. Would shoot the 14 ball but it leaves a SB on the 1 that more than likely will be made.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Shot the 9ball (Nick)
I think either myself or others are shooting at the wrong pocket.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I like the way you labeled certain balls.. Good one.. I might just kick softly at the 13, short rail first..

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
let me explin my diagram
the red lines show
if the cue ball replaces the stripe he can make the 13 and he can get to the 9
if i hit the 14 and roll forward alittle i hide them ing they
thats my shot and i think nick also
EDIT
I am shooting the 5 like pat
nick alex wwyd 1.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Shoot the 5 to get better cueing room for shooting the 9, allowing position on the 7/8 after the 9.

pj
chgo

keoneyo

Verified Member
If the pockets are big I shoot the 5 and come down to get shape.
If they are real tight I play the 14 with a tap and try to hook on the cluster.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Varner vs. Pagulayan

Definitely the 5. Rolling it up enough to hide him from the 13 if I hang it.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
One of these two...
Bank the 13 two rails into the spotted balls and stick the CB where the 13 was...
Or... Kick off the foot rail gently at the 14 ball...
Would decide at the table...

Nick probably kicked at the 14...

RickC

From
Batavia, IL
Lots of sensible suggestions, like rolling into the 14-ball & hiding- that's probably the easiest to execute. Doesn't seem like much of a future just making the 5 or 9.

A more aggressive option is shot the 2-ball almost straight-on into the stripe behind it which banks to your side, along with the 2-ball. Got to be able to stop the cueball from long distance or slide a little bit over towards the row of balls on the spot, might be worth the gamble.

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
One of these two...
Bank the 13 two rails into the spotted balls and stick the CB where the 13 was...
Or... Kick off the foot rail gently at the 14 ball...
Would decide at the table...

Nick probably kicked at the 14...

I like kicking at the 14 or 13 much better than rolling it. Kicking is just about foolproof except for maybe not getting a rail which is not a big deal. Rolling at one of those could leave you to the mercy of the table.

Shooting the 5 leads to the nine, then what?

Also, kicking provides the easiest bridging technique.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I like kicking at the 14 or 13 much better than rolling it. Kicking is just about foolproof except for maybe not getting a rail which is not a big deal. Rolling at one of those could leave you to the mercy of the table.

Shooting the 5 leads to the nine, then what?

Also, kicking provides the easiest bridging technique.

That shows good thinking, PoolBoy.. If you mess around and hang the five you could be totally fukked, if you leave a shot. The two ten combo looks easy also. But if you don't leave a shot he will just knock it in, spot it up, and leave you against the nine frozen and you are still totally fukked.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I like coming off of the right side of the 8 ball and putting CB somewhere near the 13/14 in that little catcher's mitt...

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I am shooting the 5 and trying to roll the cb 1 1/2 diamonds past the side pocket and off the rail 5-6". From there low rhe drag shot on the 9 taking cue in between the gap on 7/8.

If the cb does not lay well for the 9 after making the 5 you can thin off the 8 and roll onto 14 or soft kick directly on the 14.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Varner vs. Pagulayan

I am shooting the 5 and trying to roll the cb 1 1/2 diamonds past the side pocket and off the rail 5-6". From there low rhe drag shot on the 9 taking cue in between the gap on 7/8.

If the cb does not lay well for the 9 after making the 5 you can thin off the 8 and roll onto 14 or soft kick directly on the 14.

Zactly....