What's a room to do? How a pool-hall will survive a pandemic! Video w/ Jerry Matchin

keoneyo

Verified Member
Soft (Porous) Surfaces
  • For soft (porous) surfaces such as carpeted floor, rugs, and drapes, remove visible contamination if present and clean with appropriate cleaners indicated for use on these surfaces. After cleaning: (emphasis added)
The problem with using a glove is that anything on the glove spreads to anything else touched. Your cue, your drink, your seat, your face.
This virus is hanging around anywhere just watching for that moment you walk through someone's aerosolized cough or sneeze and just waiting for us to, distractedly, touch our face.

I took my 85 year old step-dad to the hospital a few weeks ago to pick up my mother (non-virus related). He had on a surgical mask. As he was speaking with the discharge nurse - he pulled the mask down whenever he spoke to her so she could understand him. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
I understand that about the glove but you can spray it with an alcohol spray after every inning while it would be uncomfortable on bare skin.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
you can spray it with an alcohol spray
Sure, and that is a not insignificant point: how much precaution / change of habit are we willing to undertake as we go out in the world?
I am trying to train myself to not touch my face - without being conscious of it.
(...and slowly acclimatizing myself to snorting larger lines of powdered detergent for when I do)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I read this interesting article about what kinds of situations lend themselves to more or less Covid spread. Made me think about poolrooms and how they would fit. No yelling outbursts allowed lol. Stagnant air in a confined space apparently allows the virus to accumulate. Of course we will need to appropriately distance, probably masks for everybody to try to reduce the spread of our own potential spray while breathing/talking. The fact that we like to play for hours at a time definitely adds an element of risk guys, so doing everything possible, like wearing masks, fresh air, frequent wipe downs, limited occupancy. And sorry, but if you have a cougher or sneezer or overly projecting talker, they might have to go... because that sort of thing introduces a higher amount of our personal exhale mix of air and micro particles that might include the virus.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I read this interesting article about what kinds of situations lend themselves to more or less Covid spread. Made me think about poolrooms and how they would fit. No yelling outbursts allowed lol. Stagnant air in a confined space apparently allows the virus to accumulate. Of course we will need to appropriately distance, probably masks for everybody to try to reduce the spread of our own potential spray while breathing/talking. The fact that we like to play for hours at a time definitely adds an element of risk guys, so doing everything possible, like wearing masks, fresh air, frequent wipe downs, limited occupancy. And sorry, but if you have a cougher or sneezer or overly projecting talker, they might have to go... because that sort of thing introduces a higher amount of our personal exhale mix of air and micro particles that might include the virus.

Most of the ones around here have smoke eaters. Wonder if that helps any.

baby huey

Verified Member
Postscript: Today I received a bulletin from CAL OSHA which is the governing body that advises our Governor Newsom on policy for businesses ability to open. The protocols DO NOT include businesses that have table games such as darts, pool, bowling and other similar activities. In order for pool rooms to open, it seems like we'd be in the last stage if at all any time soon. In Cali we even restricted tennis because both players touch the same balls during a game. Really?? I wish I was Elon Musk and just told the government I'm opening and go ahead and arrest me. But he employs 25,000 people and guess what?? He's open.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Jerry,

That really sucks to hear. They also announced today that counties will have more autonomy going forward. Do the pool room owners in California have an organized presence of any kind in Sacramento? Do you know your assembly person, or Mayor? There may be ways to influence the process somehow.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Tell you the truth Jerry, I miss the opportunity of going to the pool room. After seeing all the assholes claiming they have lost their rights running around next to each other, no mask, no idea of the Pandemic, I'm not sure I want to go out in public for a long time. Has anyone read about Brazil and what is happening there? There is no virus, the leaders say. You're in the medical field, is there a way to keep social distancing and still make a profit? If I had a business, a restaurant, pool room, I would be freaking out.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
As it seems likely, that only every other table is occupied, rates will have to go up. Table availability will go down.
Fewer players in the establishment at any given time, so finding an opponent; not as handy.
Two to a table, so no ring games or doubles. A waiting list may become an all day situation.

Playing in the back tournament room may be alright until someone starts coughing - then uncomfortable.
Ordering from the kitchen will likely be less frequent.
Fewer customers means fewer staff. Owners might be spending more time in on-hand.
Fewer staff with more to do in the way of cautionary duties such as disinfecting equipment & counters, watching customers more closely.
The customers themselves are going to have to be prepared to call out others for sloppy practices and reckless conduct.

Things will probably not be back to normal for a very long time.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
My wife and I were in Ventura a while ago...cannot remember 15 years plus? We visited her friend and daughter. The four of us ended up in Stiix and played by the glass door. Had a blast. We were at home with room full of strangers. I still have a black Stixx T shirt and wear it with pride. It's more than just another T shirt. And I'll buy one or 2 if you'll mail them to me 33467. Best of luck from here on... You deserve to prevail. It's people like you...it's rooms like yours that make a difference because you care. Frank

baby huey

Verified Member
Well, it's been a long stretch but we are opening this friday unless the city puts the Kibosh on us. I think I know what has to be done to satisfy all the requirements and my reopening plan is fourteen pages long. Really, just fourteen pages to wear face coverings and sanitize the equipment and keep people six feet apart. It'll be almost three long months and I almost lost it a few times along the way.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Great news, Jerry. I think we're still months away here in the Bay Area. I may have to come down to Stix if I want any pool room action. Good luck with your reopening!

Well, it's been a long stretch but we are opening this friday unless the city puts the Kibosh on us. I think I know what has to be done to satisfy all the requirements and my reopening plan is fourteen pages long. Really, just fourteen pages to wear face coverings and sanitize the equipment and keep people six feet apart. It'll be almost three long months and I almost lost it a few times along the way.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That's great news, Jerry. They'll pack into the joint. Lots of guys itching to play, and many just dying to do something! Better getcha some track shoes....;)

baby huey

Verified Member
I talked to Chris Swart in Fremont last night and he's telling me some communities in the Bay Area are going to be delayed perhaps months more. If we lose great owners like Chris and his room, it'll be a painful blow to the industry. Even though I am opening, I am still concerned about a last minute delay from the City. Fingers crossed permanently.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I talked to Chris Swart in Fremont last night and he's telling me some communities in the Bay Area are going to be delayed perhaps months more. If we lose great owners like Chris and his room, it'll be a painful blow to the industry. Even though I am opening, I am still concerned about a last minute delay from the City. Fingers crossed permanently.
I hear Hard Times in Bellflower is holding their 1 pocket tournament this Saturday.

baby huey

Verified Member
Well I got my place open and with the restrictions its tough but I figured out a way to make it work and hopefully satisify the county. It is my understanding LA County did not allow poolrooms to OFFICIALLY open. Hardtimes Bellflower is open as I understand it.