What's everybody doing within or outside of the parameters of our lockdown?

beatle

Verified Member
looks like you will fall in to the center of the chair and get stuck in there. very dangerous.

beatle

Verified Member
really nice chairs steve. i like to have uncomfortable chairs for my opponents as it makes them play worse. i also ask them what music they like so i dont play that.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The light wood is some really nicely figured birdseye maple I've been hanging onto ever since we did a kitchen project out of that stuff for a guy that owned a wood business. He provided the wood and collected extra, and it being such nice figure I bought some of the extra. The dark wood is walnut. Monday night I expect these to come home from my shop, and that will mean I have met my wife's requirement for inviting people over to my house to play pool, in a lot safer environment than going out to my usual social club. BTW, my table is over the garage, and there is a fold out bed and separate bathroom and shower out there -- it's where my son stays when he comes home to visit -- so if any of you want to take a hike up here and stay for a weekend, there you go, I can accommodate!!!

beatle

Verified Member
yea good work. ill take 8 of them when can you get them shipped out.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
yea good work. ill take 8 of them when can you get them shipped out.
That's funny -- I saved my templates as I went along "just in case" -- like I do for just about any odd custom project that needs special templates. But I also commented to the guy that works for me in my shop, that I hope nobody says they want one lol. They were one heck of a lot of work!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Very nice Steve, just beautiful! When I got my old table out of Brighman's Pool hall, he had some of the old antique pool chairs designed very similar to yours. I was suppose to get some in on the deal when I got the table, for a good price, but he reneged for someone came along and offered him quite a bit for them. Whitey

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Steve, I don't doubt for a minute that these chairs require a lot of time and work - and accordingly raise a question with me. Are they designed to withstand the abuse they would get in a commercial poolroom, or rather for someone's private rec room? Specifically, I am looking at the foot-rests and the absence of diagonal bracing.

beatle

Verified Member
those are very close to the old centennial chairs brunswick made in the 1920' and 30's.
theirs were oak that i remember. and still in use.
just a china made repo of them goes for 800 bucks.
steve has to now insure them and pay the premium for the next 100 years.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve, I don't doubt for a minute that these chairs require a lot of time and work - and accordingly raise a question with me. Are they designed to withstand the abuse they would get in a commercial poolroom, or rather for someone's private rec room? Specifically, I am looking at the foot-rests and the absence of diagonal bracing.

I think they are pretty rugged. They are also pretty heavy and do not lend themselves to tipping the chair back, which probably will help them survive a good long time. What you cannot see from the angle I took the pic is that there is a flat piece about 4" wide under the footrest that connects between the two front legs and supports the footrest, along with the little brackets you can just barely see peaking out from under.

I did "cheat" when I built these because I used Festool domino's instead of real tenons most everywhere. Don't tell anyone please
:LOL:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
To build my chairs, and not have to figure out every single measurement, I bought a set of measured drawings of a Stickley billiard chair, but I notice the antique Brunswicks were very similar. Mine are now completely done and home -- I'll get a pic in the daylight tomorrow :)

An original Stickley billiard chair:

The Brunswick chair below: