Where in Denver?

NineBallPaul

Verified Member
For the past few months I've been scouting pool rooms in west Denver, near my home in Golden. The closest thing to a real pool hall is the old Family Fun Center at 38th and Sheridan. After investing a bunch of time hanging out there, I've given up on finding any meaningful action -- one-pocket or otherwise.

Forty years ago, that room rocked with great players. Now it never does. There's an afternoon golf game on one of the snooker tables, but it's populated by geriatrics who play for peanuts. The rest of the players seem to be kids.

The northside Table Steaks is closed, and the other location is just too damn far to drive regularly. I've been practicing hard on my new home table and now I'm ready to take my game public. Where might I do that? Any reliable bar-box action to be found?

Thanks for all serious replies.

NineBallPaul

Verified Member
Time goes by...

Time goes by...

It's been two months since I posted this thread, and not a single response. Is the state of pool so bad in Denver that I can't get a single suggestion for a good pool hall? C'mon, this is a metro area of 2 million people.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
NineBallPaul said:
It's been two months since I posted this thread, and not a single response. Is the state of pool so bad in Denver that I can't get a single suggestion for a good pool hall? C'mon, this is a metro area of 2 million people.

It has been years since I went through Denver but there was plenty of action then. $50/$100 a game golf at the Family Fun Center and 9 ball and one pocket action at Colfax Billiards.

I know Mark Haddad lives there and he and his girlfriend gamble, and my old friend Dave Gross lives outside Denver and must know what is going on there.

Can't believe it has gone downhill that much. Good luck, there must be some action somewhere. John

Peso

From
Fruita, Colorado
Denver area One-Pocket

Denver area One-Pocket

I used to play in the Denver area. Family fun...was Paradise Billiards for years, now it's Hanks Billiards.

Table Steaks by the Lake has been gone for several years.

Colfax billiards has been gone for a decade.

Colorado Cue club just off 104th and I-25 was my favorite room, but it's been opening and closing so regularly that I honestly dont kow which phase it's in any more. There were a lot of guys that I always played one pocket with in the Cue club, but it was just social stuff. There's a guy named Chuck Nielson that plays pretty good, but he quit gambling as far as I can tell. You could probably match up with someone in the Cue Club if it's still open. (I haven't been in Denver for a year.)

Frank Burgess from the Table steaks off Floyd has sold his place, but I think he played for decent money a few years ago. He used to have a monthly one-pocket tournament that had a lot of solid to very good players in it. That's gone now that he sold his place as far as I know.

Mark Hadad and Melissa play, but I've never seen either one play One-Pocket.

ATM Andy will play anything and he will gamble. They'll know who he is in any pool room. If you play him or any of the other guys up there tell em that Coach says howdy.

I've heard the same thing about Family Fun Center having 40 good players in there at any time back in the 80's, but pool in Denver is not what it was even 20 years ago.
Good luck, and keep us posted, as I still like to play when I'm in town.

Peso

From
Fruita, Colorado
Update Denver

Update Denver

I just spent a few days in town with my girlio. We hit a couple of places. I did see Chuck Nielson, but didn't get a chance to mention this message board to him. He's been playing in Zanzibar a little I guess. It's on Larimer street at around 21st or so. The Colorado Cue club is closed down for good. Too bad, that was probably my favorite room of all time. Paradise, (Hanks) has refinished all the tables. Pretty fast compared to the tables here in Grand Junction.
Zanzibar and Tarantulas are offering free pool on the 9 footers just to sell drinks. I was in Zanzibar Saturday at around 7:00 PM, and there were 3 people in there... Pretty decent tables, in Zanzibar. If you ever played at Shakespeare's, you'll remember the "Imported from Italy" tables that used to be in Shakespeare's back in the day. They play alright, and I made a lot of 2 rail banks without adjusting any from the Olhausens I've been hitting on.

Can't imagine too many good American Players being developed in the next 20 years. I'd estimate about 10% of the players that we had back in the 70's.

Later, and kindly let me know if you hit any of these rooms.

Pat