Willie Hoppe Cue and "Expert Leather Cue Case"

Stanton Fountain

I want share with ya’ll. I have been researching a Brunswick cue and case and must express
sincere thanks to Scott/runscott who was incredibly generous with time and knowledge.

I bought the cue and case at an estate sale after seeing a photo of the cue on estatesales.net.
The cue is a first decal/second signature Brunswick Willie Hoppe Professional made of
brazilian rosewood. The cue has a Hoppe ring. The case is a Brunswick “Expert Leather Cue
Case” as shown on page 5 of Brunswick’s Spring 1949 Mail Order Catalog.

As to leather cases, in 1948 Brunswick offered the “Professional” and “Aristocrat”. In 1949, the
leather cases offered were “Expert” and “Aristocrat”. Brunswick continued to offer the Expert
until 1954. According to the catalogs, the Professional was 35 ½ inches long and the Expert
was 32 inches long. My case measures 32 inches and agrees with the Expert described and
pictured in the catalog.
Case Nameplate.jpg
Case.jpg

Stanton Fountain

Thank you. I was really lucky. I arrived at 6:00 a.m. and was first in line. From viewing other items at the sale saddles and other tack, I could tell the owner knew how to care for leather. The cue was in great shape -- cleaning with alcohol was all it needed. Here are some detailed photos of the cue.

Attachments

• Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Point 3.jpg
    Point 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • Ring and Butt.jpg
    Ring and Butt.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32

baby huey

Verified Member
1590176400107.png
I pulled out this Brunswick Cue circa 1960 maybe earlier and Brunswick Case my wife found at a Thrift Store for $25. The case is perfect with all the labeling etc. in tact. The cue is beat up some and I've thought about repurposing it by adding a new joint but probably not. I think I'll just keep it in its current condition and pull it out when friends come by. It is 57" real old school like we are.

Stanton Fountain

Nice cue and case. I had never heard of a Willie Hoppe Professional. From the estate sales photo, all I could tell was that it was a full splice jointed cue. Since then, I have learned that these cues are a big part of our pool history. I have learned a lot more about the history of jointed cues but there is so much I do not know.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Beautiful case and cue -- very nice find!! I shot with one for a while in about 1980. I still have it. Fat butt lol. Especially compared to the ebony Schon I have been using the last 25 years :)

Stanton Fountain

You know what they say . . . "one lawyer in a town will starve to death but two will get rich". Sadly, there's too much truth in that. But, any lawyer who hangs out around a pool hall or with a bunch of pool players can't be all bad,

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Beautiful case and cue -- very nice find!! I shot with one for a while in about 1980. I still have it. Fat butt lol. Especially compared to the ebony Schon I have been using the last 25 years :)

when I was a boy, got my butt kicked more than once for getting out my dad's master stroke when I obviously wasn't supposed to. black leather wrap is identical. no veneers on the points, though.... joint is a white material (not ivory). anyway, over the years, the joint became loose, QBall (QB Cues) fixed it up a couple years ago.... yeah, oversized butt for sure. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I know that y'all are kiddin' about attorneys. But Stanton Fountain, Jr. is the most honest guy, and has the highest integrity of any lawyer I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and doing business with. He was also a good personal friend of the late great "Biloxi" Mike Surber.

Stanton Fountain

Thanks, Doc. I think about Mike a lot. All things associated with pool bring him to mind, especially nice cues. Being back around OP.org has made me think about him, too. Mike really loved OP. Mike's death was a great loss to all of his friends and to the pool world as a whole -- I know that I am not alone in feeling the loss. We all live in hopes they catch the piece of garbage that took him from us.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I want share with ya’ll. I have been researching a Brunswick cue and case and must express
sincere thanks to Scott/runscott who was incredibly generous with time and knowledge.

I bought the cue and case at an estate sale after seeing a photo of the cue on estatesales.net.
The cue is a first decal/second signature Brunswick Willie Hoppe Professional made of
brazilian rosewood. The cue has a Hoppe ring. The case is a Brunswick “Expert Leather Cue
Case” as shown on page 5 of Brunswick’s Spring 1949 Mail Order Catalog.

As to leather cases, in 1948 Brunswick offered the “Professional” and “Aristocrat”. In 1949, the
leather cases offered were “Expert” and “Aristocrat”. Brunswick continued to offer the Expert
until 1954. According to the catalogs, the Professional was 35 ½ inches long and the Expert
was 32 inches long. My case measures 32 inches and agrees with the Expert described and
pictured in the catalog.
View attachment 431084
View attachment 431085

Attachments

• 20200524_022727.jpg
    20200524_022727.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200524_022551.jpg
    20200524_022551.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200524_022635.jpg
    20200524_022635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Above is the Brunswick 1949 Spring catalog (photo 1) with a photo of three cue cases (photo 2) and a description of the cue cases and their retail cost (photo 3).

Stanton Fountain

Thank you J. R. The Brunswick catalogs are an incredible source of information. My favorite page from these catalogs is the one in the 1941 catalog which introduced the Titlist and the WHPro for the first time. I do not know how to give you the image here, but here is a link that will get you close:
I have always wanted to blow this picture up and make a poster from it.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Great pictures. Love the one of the gal with the "pair of 38s"...🤩

And check out some of the prices: $11.95 for a top of the line leather professional cue case!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is the page?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have two Hoppe cues. One with a logo a lot like yours and then an obviously more recent one. The older one is the one I used for a while. Neither are in the original condition that yours is!

01526CE9-DC3E-44A6-AA77-29E5084FB4E2.jpeg