Would you put this last ball into play, in a serious game?

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
This shot came up in a high dollar ahead set I was in a couple years ago. I made a HORRIBLE mistake and let my opponent get balls back into play, and even helped him. I needed one, and he needed 4. I acknowledge that mistake. But, that was in the prior innings and I could not change what I did. So this is what I faced now.

Should I:

1. Put the last ball in play by shooting it straight in, and make my opponent have to deal with breaking up the line of balls. The cue ball would be frozen on the end rail.

2. Try to play a safety off the line of balls, and begin the process of sending them back uptable out of play.

To give you an idea of the caliber of play, I was a C+ to B- player at the time. He was a solid mid B player. I was getting 4 balls. We were both experienced gamblers. And we both prepared well for this match and were in stroke.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATW4BATo4...shot.&ZZ4rVMhOpponents_pocket,_he_needs_4&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 8.22.55 PM.jpg

Last edited:

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
iusedtoberich said:
This shot came up in a high dollar ahead set I was in a couple years ago. I made a HORRIBLE mistake and let my opponent get balls back into play, and even helped him. I needed one, and he needed 4. I acknowledge that mistake. But, that was in the prior innings and I could not change what I did. So this is what I faced now.

Should I:

1. Put the last ball in play by shooting it straight in, and make my opponent have to deal with breaking up the line of balls. The cue ball would be frozen on the end rail.

2. Try to play a safety off the line of balls, and begin the process of sending them back uptable out of play.

To give you an idea of the caliber of play, I was a C+ to B- player at the time. He was a solid mid B player. I was getting 4 balls. We were both experienced gamblers. And we both prepared well for this match and were in stroke.

[CUETABLE]<iframe src="http://CueTable.com/P/Player/?@4AATW4BATo4CAUF2DBdh1PFEf3qalhMy_pocket,_I_need_1,_My__shot.&ZZ4rVMhOpponents_pocket,_he_needs_4&ZZ@" noresize="noresize" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="no" width="600" height="400" ></iframe>[/CUETABLE]

I don't see the layout on the table.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
iusedtoberich said:

Should I:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATW4BATo4CAUF2DBdh1PFEf3qalhMy_pocket,_I_need_1,_My__shot.&ZZ4rVMhOpponents_pocket,_he_needs_4&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Although making the 4 ball and leaving him on the rail ,in the middle, is a very tough spot for him, I'd be moving the back ball now as far as it would go while trying to leave the CB on the rail that's below the spot. Just my opinion, am curious what others think.
Rod.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
iusedtoberich said:

Should I:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATW4BATo4CAUF2DBdh1PFEf3qalhMy_pocket,_I_need_1,_My__shot.&ZZ4rVMhOpponents_pocket,_he_needs_4&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

I wouldn't want to take the risk of playing off the 3 balls. I'd shoot the 4 in. He is surely not going to win the game on his inning. If he kicks 2 rails at the line of balls, you should have some kind of decent safety since there are no other balls downtable to hide whitey behind.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
blackeee said:
I don't see the layout on the table.
I would shoot the one ball and the one ball will go to your side of the table the two ball will stay thier and the 3 ball will go up and down the table by the 2 ball. Its All Cut And Dry . Your Opponent will be on deffese and he will be in a real tough spot. Oh Yah By the way the 2 and 3 ball will block the one ball were he cant hie the one ball. I know what happines on all the shots. Thats Why I know what to shot. In case people think its a accedent of I am Guessing thier is no guessing. He will be in a tough spot and you will be able to manover the balls you want to. And another reason you shot that shot you put him on DEFFENSE. You can take my shots to the bank. Anmd get a million dollaer loan on them. If you need that much money. But that is the shot . And Nothing else counts. I See I have to be a little more aggressive or else you get a 100 chalangers. If Some one does chalange this shot. You better give everyone a good reason why you are shooting that shot. And I would never bring all 4 balls up the table unless you are playing to loose.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
iusedtoberich said:

Should I:

Tricky situation....

If the 4 ball was about 2 inches down towards your opponents side rail, then I would shoot Artie's shot in a heartbeat, but as it looks to be laying to me, the angle from the cue ball to the 1 ball is a little to straight on for that shot, so that there's a possible pocket scratch looming off of the 1 ball into your opponent's pocket, so, alternatively....

If you shoot the ball in, leaving him frozen on the rail, it's not as good as some would think....

He can take a scratch and force YOU to either shoot from there, or take yourself off the hill by scratching back.......He could also shoot the old, cue ball-2-rails-out-of-the-corner shot, into the side of the four balls, and clipping them over to his side of the table, with the cue ball caroming back up table....

Thinning the balls is not a good shot either - you could leave a cross-corner or a straight-back bank....

So then, I would probably choose to shoot this shot....resulting in hiding the 4 ball and leaving him with no way to attack me, or take control of the table >>>

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATT4BATj4CAUB2DBli1PGCg2XBli2XDhw2XOJP1kGCg2kAfc2kbgd4kcul4kFlr@

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I would shoot the one ball and the one ball will go to your side of the table the two ball will stay thier and the 3 ball will go up and down the table by the 2 ball. Its All Cut And Dry . Your Opponent will be on deffese and he will be in a real tough spot. Oh Yah By the way the 2 and 3 ball will block the one ball were he cant hie the one ball. I know what happines on all the shots. Thats Why I know what to shot. In case people think its a accedent of I am Guessing thier is no guessing. He will be in a tough spot and you will be able to manover the balls you want to. And another reason you shot that shot you put him on DEFFENSE. You can take my shots to the bank. Anmd get a million dollaer loan on them. If you need that much money. But that is the shot . And Nothing else counts. I See I have to be a little more aggressive or else you get a 100 chalangers. If Some one does chalange this shot. You better give everyone a good reason why you are shooting that shot. And I would never bring all 4 balls up the table unless you are playing to loose.
Thier Is no scratch and the cue ball position is in your favor two. And You are putting your opponent in a trap.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Thier Is no scratch and the cue ball position is in your favor two. And You are putting your opponent in a trap.
I do hate to put that last ball into play, that is for sure. I like the Ghost shot because it is nice and close for me to execute.

Artie, I'm a little unclear about your shot. Where are you leaving the cue ball and how much of the head ball are you hitting? I am assuming you are hitting the left side of the 1-ball, to nudge it over to your side...I'll try to illustrate it, something like this?

Something like this?[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATT4BATj4CAUB2DBli1PGCg4UATT3UayU3UYDU4WAUB4WAGk3WAMT1kGCg4kBaE4kQfj4kUnF@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
my first thought was to make the 4 and leave him frozento the rail and force him to loosen up the line of balls. but to play the score i dont want to put another ball in play. ghost i like your shot the best so far beacause it keeps the line of balls intact making it difficult for him to win , keeps the 4 up table and provides distance. artie i know you will not leave anything major with the shot you chose but with all due respect i dont see how you leave him in a major trap with that shot. like steve i also want to know where do you leave the q ?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
my first thought was to make the 4 and leave him frozento the rail and force him to loosen up the line of balls. but to play the score i dont want to put another ball in play. ghost i like your shot the best so far beacause it keeps the line of balls intact making it difficult for him to win , keeps the 4 up table and provides distance. artie i know you will not leave anything major with the shot you chose but with all due respect i dont see how you leave him in a major trap with that shot. like steve i also want to know where do you leave the q ?
With the correct speed you should almost freeze the cue ball to the bottom rail. pt thats a bood diagram what hapines. Shot it and see.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Tricky situation....

If the 4 ball was about 2 inches down towards your opponents side rail, then I would shoot Artie's shot in a heartbeat, but as it looks to be laying to me, the angle from the cue ball to the 1 ball is a little to straight on for that shot, so that there's a possible pocket scratch looming off of the 1 ball into your opponent's pocket, so, alternatively....

If you shoot the ball in, leaving him frozen on the rail, it's not as good as some would think....

He can take a scratch and force YOU to either shoot from there, or take yourself off the hill by scratching back.......He could also shoot the old, cue ball-2-rails-out-of-the-corner shot, into the side of the four balls, and clipping them over to his side of the table, with the cue ball caroming back up table....

Thinning the balls is not a good shot either - you could leave a cross-corner or a straight-back bank....

So then, I would probably choose to shoot this shot....resulting in hiding the 4 ball and leaving him with no way to attack me, or take control of the table >>>

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATT4BATj4CAUB2DBli1PGCg2XBli2XDhw2XOJP1kGCg2kAfc2kbgd4kcul4kFlr@

Ghost, Great shot. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
strong shot

strong shot

Artie Bodendorfer said:

You are correct, and this is a strong shot. Shooting this shot leaves your opponent without a move and on DEFENSE. An A for Artie

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Tricky situation....

Ghost, the angle shown allows the player to shoot Arties shot without the risk of scratching. Understanding that makes Arties shot the correct shot for many reasons. If the cue ball was in a scratch position, then your shot would be the choice.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
billy if you gave artie an "A" this must be the shot. i know im dense so be patient with me. if you break up the line of balls there are 3 balls you will eventually want to get up table. even tho the opponent coming to the table will be in a defensive position hes probably not going to leave you a shot and you are going to move balls up table .yes? ghosts shot leaves the balls down table where they dont favor your opponent and leaves distance on the one up table ball. if you are playing the score why do you want to break up the 3 balls on the spot.?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
billy if you gave artie an "A" this must be the shot. i know im dense so be patient with me. if you break up the line of balls there are 3 balls you will eventually want to get up table. even tho the opponent coming to the table will be in a defensive position hes probably not going to leave you a shot and you are going to move balls up table .yes? ghosts shot leaves the balls down table where they dont favor your opponent and leaves distance on the one up table ball. if you are playing the score why do you want to break up the 3 balls on the spot.?
The 3 balls positioned on the spot are in play, meaning that they are positioned in a potentially good position for the player that needs 4 balls. Understanding that gives you a plan to win the game, and that is to put balls that are in play out of play. Since the position of the cue ball is not on a scratch angle than this would be a good time for you to reposition the 3 balls on the foot spot.You are not only repositioning the balls, but you are putting your opponent on defense , when the next time you come back to the table you will most likely have choices that are all good.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
You are correct, and this is a strong shot. Shooting this shot leaves your opponent without a move and on DEFENSE. An A for Artie

Billy; I first posted the same shot, although I don't think the 3 ball will go back and hit the 2 ball, after seeing Ghosts shot. I believe if you can hide the 4 ball behind the 3 balls on the spot, you force your opponent to move some of the balls uptable himself.
Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This is the shot that I'm inclined to shoot as well. However I don't believe the 1-ball would travel that far to the rail, providing I use an approx. half ball hit, using just enough speed to bring the 3-ball back up to the 2-ball. [CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATT4BATj4CAUB2DBli1PGCg4UATT3UayU3UYDU4WAUB4WAGk3WAMT1kGCg4kBaE4kQfj4kUnF@[/CUETABLE]
However, I'm curious as to what the reply is for pocket B needing all four balls if I shoot the 4-ball in and leave whitey frozen on the rail, like in the following? Does a guy try to roll down and freeze on the 1-ball; or does he use SJDick's shot where he two-rails out of A's corner and fans open the 4 spotted balls, sending the CB up table? Seems like player A is likely to get some kind of return bank for his out ball... ~Doc
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATT4BATj4CAUB4DAUS1PAOh3QcYt4RdGr@[/CUETABLE@[/CUETABLE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
However, I'm curious as to what the reply is for pocket B needing all four balls if I shoot the 4-ball in and leave whitey frozen on the rail, like in the following? Does a guy try to roll down and freeze on the 1-ball; or does he use SJDick's shot where he two-rails out of A's corner and fans open the 4 spotted balls, sending the CB up table? Seems like player A is likely to get some kind of return bank for his out ball... ~Doc
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATT4BATj4CAUB4DAUS1PAOh3QcYt4RdGr@[/CUETABLE@[/CUETABLE]

Yeah Doc, I'm definitely shooting the 2-rail out of the corner kick shot - and needing all four balls, I'm happy to have it.....and if he does get left a long cross-corner, it probably won't be free, and he probably won't want to shoot it.

- Ghost