you vs him wwyd??

OneRock

Verified Member
I suggest that you simply bank the 14 to make it, and draw the CB a couple of inches to deny him a view of the two makable balls down there. No need to freeze the CB on the 4. If you don't make the 14 and leave it by your pocket, he won't be able to defend against that either.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
I like leaving him on top of the four. The bank to make it looks good, but the four ball might go by the five -- hard to tell.
Here's the first one:

CropperCapture[104].jpg

And here is the bank to make it where it just misses. It's nearly full on the 14. For this much draw, you hide the 5 and leave a nasty off-angle on the 4 that might kiss the 5. I've shown it at pocket speed but just missing long.

CropperCapture[105].jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
I would bank the 14ball if I was 100% confident that I could number one position it near my pocket and number two double up
Bank the 14ball providing you can play a good cue ball or play off the 14ball put it out of play and drop to the foot rail under the 3ball. I can live with either shot.
Dr. Bill

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
... or play off the 14ball put it out of play and drop to the foot rail under the 3ball. I can live with either shot.
Dr. Bill
It's not possible to hit much of the 14 on the right side or you will run into the 4 ball. There is this thin hit safe which every 14.1 player should know.

CropperCapture[107].jpg

cincy_kid

Verified Member
It's not possible to hit much of the 14 on the right side or you will run into the 4 ball. There is this thin hit safe which every 14.1 player should know.

View attachment 432525
That's why I suggested coming off the 8 (or 15 as Whitey pointed out).

You could also come off the 4, not to make the 4 but aim it to hit before the side pocket, a little RHE and CB hits before side pocket on opp long rail and spins down below those 2 balls ending up on the foot rail.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I like hitting the 4 ball with follow and making this an Up table game because of my lead. Cue ball to the foot rail sets my shot and speed. The four will hit the foot rail first. It will carom both balls too my side up/table. The first pic shows this angle to be there. Second pic not.
That is the shot I was looking at: banking the 4 off the foot rail and kissing the 3 & 4 outta there, while rolling the CB to the foot rail. Not a hard shot, takes away that pesky 3ball, and leaves the opponent bupkis. I was inclined toward the 14ball bank, but there's no reason to go on offense here.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I don't like banking the 14 because you are up 5 - 0. None of those 3 balls near your side pocket go to your hole, but they all go to his hole if he gets behind them at some point. If you choose to bank the 14 and don't put that 14 very near your hole, you are setting yourself up for him to get back in the game. If you leave him behind the 4 ball he is just going to move the 15 ball on his next shot up table and now you basically have put all the balls in play with a 5 - 0 lead.

Nick B

Verified Member
I am banking the 14 with the sole intention of freezing on the 4 and getting the 14 as close to my hole as that allows
Stick him good on the 4 and somebody gonna get hurt real bad....

1601480966429.png

Nick B

Verified Member
I don't like banking the 14 because you are up 5 - 0. None of those 3 balls near your side pocket go to your hole, but they all go to his hole if he gets behind them at some point. If you choose to bank the 14 and don't put that 14 very near your hole, you are setting yourself up for him to get back in the game. If you leave him behind the 4 ball he is just going to move the 15 ball on his next shot up table and now you basically have put all the balls in play with a 5 - 0 lead.
I don't know about that. the 4-15 are almost parallel with each other and it would be tough to move it near your pocket...let alone safe.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I miss Tom, where he's at on this one. I had to back out of our discussion on the last thread, for I could see neither one of us would give an inch, and it would of gone on and on. LOL!
But on this one I believe he would do a 'control aggression' shot on the 14.
Moving the 14 off of the opponent's side would always be a plus. Now if you can also combine this with getting the cb on the foot rail then with 5-0 lead, you now really have an advantage.
My original choice was to use the 15 and going to the foot rail, but the 15 is already one of my balls, so if I can cross the 14 by going through it and still get to the foot rail by the opponent's pocket, then that would be better.

Doc, nice shot!
Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I miss Tom, where he's at on this one. I had to back out of our discussion on the last thread, for I could see neither one of us would give an inch, and it would of gone on and on. LOL!
But on this one I believe he would do a 'control aggression' shot on the 14.
Moving the 14 off of the opponent's side would always be a plus. Now if you can also combine this with getting the cb on the foot rail then with 5-0 lead, you now really have an advantage.
My original choice was to use the 15 and going to the foot rail, but the 15 is already one of my balls, so if I can cross the 14 by going through it and still get to the foot rail by the opponent's pocket, then that would be better.

Doc, nice shot!
Whitey
I dont think you can do that unless you are banking the 14 down near your pocket which puts another ball in play for your opponent. I still think you have the best shot off the 15...

Jakie

Verified Member
The line of 3 balls on your side is a problem for you. They are not makeable as they sit for you. I would softly bank the 15ball into these balls and draw the cue off of the long rail on his side and to the foot rail. This will limit his offensive options and make it harder to keep you off of shots.
A lot of good options shown here.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
Stick him good on the 4 and somebody gonna get hurt real bad....
Yep, and if you can get one of those balls on your side broke out its a plus. Real good players always put you froze to the back of a ball when they can.

baby huey

Verified Member
I agree with Androd. Why be in a hurry to win the game? Don't put balls in play which could backfire on you at a later time.

lll

Verified Member
well i thought the layout was interesting and offered alot of options
shannon (you) decided to bank the 4 ball off the foot rail and follow the cue ball i assume to the foot rail but he didnt get there
he wasnt too happy with the leave
i think i would have gone to the foot rail with the cueball one way or another
if i were to bank the 14 it would have been to open them up so my opponent didnt have such a large area to play safe if needed in future innings

you vs him 787 result.png

OneRock

Verified Member
shannon (you) decided to bank the 4 ball off the foot rail and follow the cue ball i assume to the foot rail but he didnt get there
if i were to bank the 14 it would have been to open them up so my opponent didnt have such a large area to play safe if needed in future innings

View attachment 432531
That's pretty much why I wasn't a fan of this option. On any given day, I'd rather go for the shot that requires minimal CB movement. But I understand why he chose it, given he's up 5-0 on the ball count and wanted to force an up-table game asap.

Larry, thanks for posting this WWYD. It was definitely a good one.

lll

Verified Member
That's pretty much why I wasn't a fan of this option. On any given day, I'd rather go for the shot that requires minimal CB movement. But I understand why he chose it, given he's up 5-0 on the ball count and wanted to force an up-table game asap.

Larry, thanks for posting this WWYD. It was definitely a good one.
Onerock coming from you who i respect alot for their knowledge (and skills) it means alot.
i am still learning but try to post layouts where either the ultimate shot was really cool or
where the shot doesnt matter...... :eek: :)
its what can you learn for the situation to make better decisions in the future.......👍

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
He had the right idea, he just cued the CB fat. We've all done it. That close to the OB, the stroke has to be pretty firm.