You vs. opponent wwyd 4 - the end game

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Your shot --- you have the bottom right pocket --- your opponent has the pocket below the 2 and 11balls --- your opponent needs one ball to win, you need both of them --- wwyd? ----->

Attachments

petie

Verified Member
Hit the 11 full with enough draw to take it up table. The 11 will carom off the 2 and bank towards your pocket. The 2 will go up and down towards your pocket. You might even make a ball or both.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Hit the 11 full with enough draw to take it up table. The 11 will carom off the 2 and bank towards your pocket. The 2 will go up and down towards your pocket. You might even make a ball or both.
Petie, sounds easy, if you're, 'left handed!' ;)

DickP

Verified Member
Gentle right English kick off the foot rail, nestle into the bottom of the cluster?
Not a power one pocket shot, but you're only down by one - why go all agro?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Hello?...all I hear is crickets over in this wwyd...whatsamatter, this one too tough for you guys?...:eek:...:sorry...if it is, just let me know and I'll let you guys out for half - I'll pm you guys my paypal info and youse guys can send me the $$$ you owe me...:D...:p

- Ghost

LSJohn

Verified Member
Your shot --- you have the bottom right pocket --- your opponent has the pocket below the 2 and 11balls --- your opponent needs one ball to win, you need both of them --- wwyd? ----->
1/4 hit on the left side (from shooter's perspective) of 11 with 9 o'clock, medium speed, CB four rails to middle diamond top.

Hardmix

Verified Member
I would consider hitting the 11 center firm with low left which will move the 11 toward your placket and taking the 2 four rails landing long on the foot trail. The cb will draw to first diamond on head rail.

Yes I am southpaw.

Hardmix

wincardona

Verified Member
The way the balls are positioned on the table it certainly favors the left handed players regardless of how the shot is performed. However, drawing the cue ball is more difficult then following it for a right handed player in this position, which leads me to believe that Frank's choice would be more correct providing you can control the head ball with a follow stroke. Just by eye balling this shot it looks like using a high ball as opposed to a low ball that the 11ball will stay high (short) and will not be able to find the pocket, if so then a draw stroke will be more effective, in terms of pocketing the 11ball.

Following the cue ball is the safer way of playing the shot because of the easiness of the execution of the shot for a right handed player, because of that reason I would follow the ball like Frank suggested, in spite of knowing that needing both balls the draw shot would be better.

If the shot played better by drawing it like I mentioned above I would still follow it because of the problems right handed players would have, however, if I were a left handed player I then would play the shot with a draw stroke.

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
The way the balls are positioned on the table it certainly favors the left handed players regardless of how the shot is performed. However, drawing the cue ball is more difficult then following it for a right handed player in this position, which leads me to believe that Frank's choice would be more correct providing you can control the head ball with a follow stroke. Just by eye balling this shot it looks like using a high ball as opposed to a low ball that the 11ball will stay high (short) and will not be able to find the pocket, if so then a draw stroke will be more effective, in terms of pocketing the 11ball.

Following the cue ball is the safer way of playing the shot because of the easiness of the execution of the shot for a right handed player, because of that reason I would follow the ball like Frank suggested, in spite of knowing that needing both balls the draw shot would be better.

If the shot played better by drawing it like I mentioned above I would still follow it because of the problems right handed players would have, however, if I were a left handed player I then would play the shot with a draw stroke.

Dr. Bill
The reason I chose draw, good Doctor, was to be sure of the following: the object ball reaches my pocket and the cue ball reaches the upper corner of the table. If I shoot forward off the two balls, I can easily make the cue reach the upper corner of the table and leave both object balls a little short of their intended destination. BTW, I'm really grateful to you for prescribing, "take two nurses and go to bed," for me. I'm almost cured.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
The reason I chose draw, good Doctor, was to be sure of the following: the object ball reaches my pocket and the cue ball reaches the upper corner of the table. If I shoot forward off the two balls, I can easily make the cue reach the upper corner of the table and leave both object balls a little short of their intended destination. BTW, I'm really grateful to you for prescribing, "take two nurses and go to bed," for me. I'm almost cured.
Petie; I don't remember from when we played, are you 'left handed?'

mr3cushion

Verified Member
No, Bill. I'm a rightie but I can switch hands a little.
I play 70% of my RH speed LH, and would consider this to be somewhat difficult to draw back to the end rail, even with the 2 balls being pretty close to FROZEN, which makes drawing the CB back somewhat easier!

If you can without much difficulty,:cool:

petie

Verified Member
I play 70% of my RH speed LH, and would consider this to be somewhat difficult to draw back to the end rail, even with the 2 balls being pretty close to FROZEN, which makes drawing the CB back somewhat easier!

If you can without much difficulty,:cool:
I'll try it next time I'm on the table and see how I do.

NH Steve

Administrator
You win with one shot.

View attachment 12198
I like the idea Frank, but you have some triple complex speed and kiss factors going on. For one thing, all three balls are headed across some of the same square footage -- around a diamond out and a diamond up (where all three of your lines intersect). Since they are all passing through the same area, you have to calculate the order that they are going pass through with sufficient allowance to avoid a kiss (or two, lol). And you are also trying to control the speed of three different balls -- one o.b. going one rail the short way, the other going two rails the long way, and the cue ball going three or four rails to fall "safe". The way I see you cutting the 11 in your diagram it looks to me like the 11 would go a lot farther than what you drew -- maybe back and forth a couple times, if you are in fact trying to get the 2 to go two long rails.

You could reduce your variables a little and also slow the 11 ball down by playing the shot with a fuller hit and instead drawing the cue ball straight back (being lefty would help).

If I played it your way I would have to focus on the speed of the 11 ball as my priority and play to that speed, letting the 2-ball just bounce up to the other end of the table (as it looks to me).

These are my thoughts without setting it up on a table.

NH Steve

Administrator
I like the idea Frank, but you have some triple complex speed and kiss factors going on. For one thing, all three balls are headed across some of the same square footage -- around a diamond out and a diamond up (where all three of your lines intersect). Since they are all passing through the same area, you have to calculate the order that they are going pass through with sufficient allowance to avoid a kiss (or two, lol). And you are also trying to control the speed of three different balls -- one o.b. going one rail the short way, the other going two rails the long way, and the cue ball going three or four rails to fall "safe". The way I see you cutting the 11 in your diagram it looks to me like the 11 would go a lot farther than what you drew -- maybe back and forth a couple times, if you are in fact trying to get the 2 to go two long rails.

You could reduce your variables a little and also slow the 11 ball down by playing the shot with a fuller hit and instead drawing the cue ball straight back (being lefty would help).

If I played it your way I would have to focus on the speed of the 11 ball as my priority and play to that speed, letting the 2-ball just bounce up to the other end of the table (as it looks to me).

These are my thoughts without setting it up on a table.
I took it to a table and after several tries, it's even worse than I thought in terms of speed and kiss issues, lol -- unless my setups were wrong.

I'm headed back to the drawing board but probably do something simple, like skim off the 11 toward the foot rail.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
I took it to a table and after several tries, it's even worse than I thought in terms of speed and kiss issues, lol -- unless my setups were wrong.

I'm headed back to the drawing board but probably do something simple, like skim off the 11 toward the foot rail.
Steve, I took it to table but set it up for a right handed person, since I'm right handed, Using high the kisses are there and hard to beat. However using draw the shot is very workable, You must hit the eleven much fuller than you might think. That really slows up the eleven ball and lets the two ball get out of the area. I was also able to reach the shot from the other side with draw.

With the results I got from hitting the eleven fuller like you suggested I would play this shot in a heartbeat. A lot of these wwyd's we just go from the picture posted. Some are easy to say what you would do but others require for you to try them out.