Your thoughts?

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I saw a video of Efren shooting the 2 balls frozen on the spot playing the spot ball and drawing the cue ball the other day and I thought I’d ask...
How many guys really shoot that in a game? I never do maybe I should~T

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Dr. Bill has commented that will shoot it whether he needs 2 or 1
because "he has a good feel for the shot"

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I shoot it whenever I can draw the cueball safely without selling out and the bottom ball will not run into another object ball when banking back towards my hole. Must make sure the 2 balls are frozen.

Dave

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Your thoughts?

I shoot it whenever I can draw the cueball safely without selling out and the bottom ball will not run into another object ball when banking back towards my hole. Must make sure the 2 balls are frozen.

Dave

Exactly!! You’re missing out if you never shoot this.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I like the shot, have practised it and it can be quite effective. I will admit that
our group isn't playing for money so that may influence the choice to use the shot. Even though we aren't playing for money our games do tend to be pretty tightly played.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
My only reason for asking is when I watch the pros play each other I very seldom saw them do anything but bunt the balls on their side and float whitey to bottom rail. So that being said that’s always how I played the situation.~T

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Isn't this the shot known as okey-doke? This is an interesting thread, and I see some support for shooting it, but also one pocket guy's observation that the good players usually opt for playing safe, and the reason is easy to see. This shot might not qualify as 'controlled aggression', as per Tom Wirth - at least not for a lot of us. For me, one-pocket is mostly played more gently, and if I ever hit a shot that hard, I'd better feel like I could make it. And I don't. I think Dennis O shot it in his match against Tony C, and drew the cue ball all the way back and scratched in the upper corner. Don't remember whether he made the ball or not.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I saw a video of Efren shooting the 2 balls frozen on the spot playing the spot ball and drawing the cue ball the other day and I thought I’d ask...

I almost always shoot it in late game situations where the path is open for the 2-railer on the back ball because I make that ball much more often than the front ball. Playing pocket speed for the 2-railer and drawing back has some risk of selling out a long cross over but seems to give me pretty good outcomes.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
one pocket guy, Howdy;

Wouldn't have a link to that video would ya??

Thanks,

hank

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I almost always shoot it in late game situations where the path is open for the 2-railer on the back ball because I make that ball much more often than the front ball. Playing pocket speed for the 2-railer and drawing back has some risk of selling out a long cross over but seems to give me pretty good outcomes.

Cory, if you are making the 2 railer more often than the top ball, you may be placing the cueball too far from the center. This makes the bottom ball throw more to make the 2 railer.

beatle

Verified Member
its one of the most important late game winning shots and should be mastered. you should stick that ball in front of the hole or make it most of the time.

same as a spot shot players dont master it. i see good players missing them all the time.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Cory, if you are making the 2 railer more often than the top ball, you may be placing the cueball too far from the center. This makes the bottom ball throw more to make the 2 railer.
You can also enhance the throw of the second ball with a little sidespin (in the same direction that you want to throw the second ball) - but that also reduces the follow effect on the head ball, probably rolling it short of the pocket.

pj
chgo

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
You can also enhance the throw of the second ball with a little sidespin (in the same direction that you want to throw the second ball) - but that also reduces the follow effect on the head ball, probably rolling it short of the pocket.

pj
chgo

When you hit the frozen balls on the opposite side of the pocket... that is what is throwing the balls.
You should be using a little inside english. It transfers inside english to the second/bottom ball so that it goes off the rail towards the pocket.
You should also be drawing the cue ball back to the head rail.
This shot should be practiced on the table at least a couple times before your match up. You will see that when the balls are dirty you don't have to hit as pure of a draw stroke. This also helps dictate if you should be hitting more of 5 on the cueball or closer to 6.

I don't shoot it when i need 1 and the opponent needs two unless I am playing on bigger pockets. Other than that I will shoot it most of the time as others have said when there is a clear path.

Lance Cowles

your thoughts

your thoughts

I shoot the shot every time. It is very important that your cue ball is in a direct line to the first diamond on the head rail and the hit is covering the image of the front ball on the spot. The amount of draw and speed of the cue ball that is needed depends on the table and ball conditions. If there is a divot on the spot where the head ball on the rack has been located, it will make the shot more difficult. I used to play the shot with the cue ball 2 and one half balls from the centerline of the table but I have found I have been more successful with shot when I moved it a little further to the side of the table.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I shoot the shot every time. It is very important that your cue ball is in a direct line to the first diamond on the head rail and the hit is covering the image of the front ball on the spot. The amount of draw and speed of the cue ball that is needed depends on the table and ball conditions. If there is a divot on the spot where the head ball on the rack has been located, it will make the shot more difficult. I used to play the shot with the cue ball 2 and one half balls from the centerline of the table but I have found I have been more successful with shot when I moved it a little further to the side of the table.

lance nice to see you posting :)
hope all is well
larry

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Bob Jewett's "10 Times Fuller" method puts the CB 5" from the center spot on the head string, about where you used to put it. That works pretty well in my experience, but I haven't tried much else. I imagine it depends somewhat on table/ball conditions.

If your shot works well from farther out then the added throw on the frozen combo could make the long 2-rail bank a better prospect - it often doesn't throw enough from Jewett's CB spot.

pj
chgo